iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What have I done

Started by Ernie, August 31, 2008, 03:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I just turned on my computer for the day, I went to make a coffee while it was starting and came back to find it running check disk.  I waited until the   @4#@&** machine started, fired up outlook express to check my mail only to find that the contents of my inbox (which I never back up) had disappeared :'(.  Anyone have any ideas where it has gone and how I can get it back? I'm running Windows XP ??? ???
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Rocky_J

Could it have started up with a new profile? I really dislike that aspect of Windows since I'm the only one that will ever use my computer. I don't want or need multiple profiles. Vista is even worse, so much stuff defaults to the 'public' profile rather than mine.

Ernie

Thanks for the suggestion Rocky_J  my sent items and all the rest of my email folders are still there and I have trained the machine to only have MY PROFILE.  It is only the "inbox which has emptied.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Ernie, maybe try to restart again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Your inbox file might have become corrupted if a restart doesn't do it. Here is a potential fix

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEB

Warbird

What Jeff said.  Corrupted mailboxes are no fun but it is usually possible to recover most of the email.

SPIKER

I just 2 weeks back had similar problem but I keep all my mail on the yahoo server I don't down load ANYTHING to my system!!!   (a lot less chance of getting any type of virus and or spam mail ect.)   now all I had to do was make a email up and sent out to yahoo & have them re-set back my email (it did loose 3 or 4 mails that came in during the down lost mail time) which I read & didn't need any how....

I suggest contacting you're provider, (ISP is you download you're mail) and or public mail provider if you use one of them & have them restore you're mail box...

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

ISP's dont typically store your pop3 account email. It is deleted from the server when accessed with outlook express or thunderbird or other email clients. Yahoo and hotmail are web based and a different animal.

Ernie

8) 8)

I just checked my Outlook express folder where all my mail folders are stored and found that an empty folder called "Inbox (1)" had somehow appeared.  I renamed it "Inbox (2)" and renamed "inbox" as "inbox (1)" and all 54 mb of emails had returned.. I think that I just might back them up ;D

Thanks a lot for all your help and advice  What a great forum, you can ask anything and always get a good response :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Now all I need to do is get our local telecom supplier to fix the phone line (we are the last phone on an ancient copper exchange)  so I dont keep dropping offline and once the ATV gets fixed as well (no spark)  Oh for the old days with points that you could file with Mom's emery board, I'll be in seventh heaven.

If only I could reverse aging, I would have nothing to complain about ;D

Thank You Sponsors!