iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Gustav

Started by pineywoods, August 30, 2008, 05:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

The exodus from the gulf coast has started. I visited my mother in a nursing home this morning. The staff there has already taken in 4 patients and were told to expect 40 more by 9 pm tonite. That will fill every empty bed and then some. Some of these patients will be accompanyed by relatives, but many will arrive with just the clothes on their back. Just about every medical facility within 100 miles of the coast is being emptied. Still to come will be legions of the "whendo's" (as in "when do my gubberment check come") who are still living in FEMA trailers after 3 years. I live in Louisiana, but in the far north of the state. Our area was overwhelmed with refugees after Katrina but gustav looks like it's gonna be lots worse, we'll probably get hit with high winds, torrents of rain, plus all the rufugees. The next few days will be hectic.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

East Texas is setting up for it as well, looks like us and you got to hunker down.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodwalker

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Larry

On the news a little bit ago we watched a plane landing in Fort Smith filled with evacuees.  They are being bussed to quarters in Fort Chaffee.  One person off the plane had a big smile and  said something like "free vacation".  I'm glad to see our tax dollars at work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mooseherder

It is a monster storm.  We have had a few rain bands come through and drench us the past few hours.  There are also Tornado warnings issued right now. 

Burlkraft

I just got done lookin' at radar and this storm is a MONSTER   :o  :o  :o

Seems to be pickin' up steam too.

Ya'll hunker down and call us when it's over  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

yep, staying put for a while, see what happens come Monday, then  see.

DanG

You guys on the western half of the Gulf Coast are in my prayers.  Gustav is a big bad dude.  If you don't have an official capacity that duty requires you to fill, I suggest that you book it out of there!  Once you get things buttoned down as best you can, there just ain't no reason to stay.  At that point, whatever happens will happen whether you are there or not.  Believe me, if that thing even looks like it is turning this way, I'm outta here!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

Right now it looks like Hanna's going to be on your other coast in a few days Dan -  :o
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Bibbyman

Do you think there will be the timber damage and blow down like from Katrina and Ruth?  Or is there any timber left to blow down?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

florida

With all the notice they have had why would anyone arrive at a shelter with just the clothes on their backs? Are the rest of us going to have to buy them new clothes too?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Warbird

Quote from: florida on August 31, 2008, 09:41:01 AM
With all the notice they have had why would anyone arrive at a shelter with just the clothes on their backs? Are the rest of us going to have to buy them new clothes too?

I was about to make a biting response about dangerous precedence being set and why the government is now responsible for swooping in on a white stallion and rescuing everyone...  but then I deleted it.  Think I'll just bite my tongue really hard and stay out of it.

Hey TR, stay safe.  I'll be praying for you, yours, and everyone in the path of this thing.  Keep us posted, as you are able.

DanG

Florida, for those individuals who are arriving at shelter facilities in that condition, we are probably already buying their clothes, anyway.

As far as the Gov't swooping in to rescue the unfortunate, well I kinda thought that was part of their job.  From all reports I've heard, they're doing a lot better job of preparing for this storm than they did in the past.  If the levies around N.O. break again, all those people who have been pining away for their shanty in the 9th Ward are gonna be glad they already have their FEMA trailer elsewhere.  Those who have put their heart and soul into restoring their little house in the flood plain are gonna learn the folly in making the same mistake twice.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

I've seen many utility trucks, fuel trucks, and general mercantile trucks headed in that direction. People are definitely preparing, I saw a guy in a Toyota Corrolla with 2 55 gallon drums tied in the trunk space (balanced precariously) filling them with gas. I wasn't able to see him pull away from the pump....

I've been preparing myself as well. After the last one, I know what I need most...water, food, and a small amount of fuel. I have a good supply of canned food (keeping the fridge going on generator is not feasible), 500 gallons of water, and 20 or so gallons of fuel. Also have a good camp stove with fuel, and wood and a cooking grate. And as bad as I hate to say there is a need for it, I have a real good supply of ammo. :( (Used to be that your neighbors were there to help you out, as you would do as well.)

If a person is closer than 60 miles to the coast and they stay, they should assume all responsibilities for themselves and their family. They know full well what this storm is capable of doing.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

limbrat

Camp Beauraguard (ANational Guard Camp)is very busy they have a near steady stream of busses and National Guard convoys coming and going. I understand they are basicaly letting refuges use the bathroom and make a phone call before they ship them farther north. Estler Field (A National Guard and Army Air Corps air field) has more planes and helecopters on it than i have ever seen. They are about five miles apart and on the same road both places have been bases for fema since just after Katrina.

Im not going any were we have a full house with relatives coming out of Beaux Bridge and Bayou DeLarge. I have a friend who is a Princaple at the local High School after Katrina they brought busses of people in let them get a shower and feed if that happens again we will go give a hand. If they dont there are still four local camp grounds that are being used as temp shelters and there will be plenty of folks that will need trees cut off ther drive ways so they can get out of there houses. There will be plenty to do after the wind dies down.
ben

Greg

Well, based on the current track it sounds like storm surge damage could be even worse than Katrina. Then, the brunt of the surge hit east of NO, along Mississippi.

Apparently storm surge is maximum in the NE quadrant of the storm which puts it smack into NO and Lake Ponchotrain.

Scary stuff, I hope they are wrong.

Greg

fishman

on the front page of the southwest times record( our main paper)  is a picture of a family that was bussed ti fort chaffee , the caption read" so  and so from LA. said the living conditions were almost unlivable as the floors and bed were dirty and the showers were't private"  i guess the holiday inn was full, these comments really get me, our soldiers never have it that good in iraq, viet nam, korea or any of the the places during ether word war,, sorry for the rant, but just get a broom and sweep the floor and thank god and a soldier you live somewhere to have the oppurtunity to be evacuated!!    Bill

Faron

Well, now I am ready for Gustav to pay us a visit here in S Indiana.

smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_monkeyfight

That's a turkey and a monkey doing a rain dance, if you didn't know. ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Corley5

Looks like new storms are stacking up in the Atlantic.  Hanna's got her sights on the S.E., Ike may head into the Gulf and there's another low off Africa that shows signs of further development.  I like blizzards ;) ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Texas Ranger

Looks like Gustaf is heading due north through Louisiana into Arkansas, batten down the hatches, boys.

Bibbyman

It started raining hard here early in the morning hours.  I'm sure we've got a couple of inches so far and they are predicting "heavy rain" through tomorrow.

It got so bad we had to evacuate to the north and west.  We had to go to Columba to the mall so Mary could find a food processor like Rachel Ray has.  :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Good luck, Bibbster!  Hope ya got the log deck loaded up good, cause your log yard is gonna be soggy. :o

Maybe you can clamp that food processor to yer trailer hitch and use it for a propeller.

OneWithWood

It is due to arrive here this afternoon.  I am hoping most of the rain has fallen and we will just get some much needed moisture.  Not a torrential downpour.

Hanna looks like she may douse some folks but Ike is starting to look rather menacing. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pineywoods

Finally back on line after being out of power for 2 days. Got a few trees down, lots of limbs. Big problem was flash flooding. Not me personally, I live on top of a good-sized hill. 12 inches of rain in 24 hours. I spent most of the time in a local nursing home sitting with my 90 year old mother. 120 bed facility that had about 50 nursing home residents from New orleans move in. about 25% bed patients, the rest in wheel chairs. Ever see a wheel chair traffic jam?? The facility lost power several times. Backup generator only big enough to support critcal functions, so no A/C. The staff managed to cope somehow, but I saw many who undoubtedly have wings and a halo, just invisible.
Right in the middle of all this activity, my 90 year old mother passed away, so I have all that to take care of.
More later..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

OneWithWood

Very sorry to hear about your mother.  It is good you were able to be with her.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!