iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Saw

Started by Good Feller, August 29, 2008, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I'm wanting to get a gas pole saw.  Any recommendations?  I'd like one with a 10-14" bar.  I'm going to use it for my forestry business.  I want something good,,, no junk.  Thank you. 
Good Feller

beenthere

I've had excellent service from my Stihl HT75
Not sure that model is still available, but it's never let me down.

Go to a dealer you like to work with, as there are other good brands, I'm sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

The ht75 is no longer made. Stihl has the ht101 and the ht131. The 131 is a little stronger, a little heavier and about $50 more expensive. They are the '4-mix' technology, a 4 stroke motor design that uses mix gas like a 2 stroke. The valves need to be adjusted at about 150 hours. They don't rev as high but they have more torque.

If you're going to use this professionally, don't even bother thinking about anything but the Stihls. Nobody else comes close as far as the power polesaws are concerned. Call up the 20 biggest tree services in your area and ask them which brand/ model they use. At least 19 of them will say "Stihl".

And I'm not just a Stihl cheerleader. The only Stihls I own are the HT101 and a few MS200Ts. All my other saws are Husqvarnas, two 346XPs, three 372XPs and a 395XP.

WDH

Most people in the logging woods around here use Stihl pole saws to trim their trucks loads before hauling.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rebocardo

> If you're going to use this professionally, don't even bother thinking
> about anything but the Stihls.

I agree, I don't own one because I really can't justify the cost and one of my main uses is for cutting free blown over trees where I want to stand 12 feet away and take the chance on killing the saw instead of me.

I have borrowed various gas powered pole saws. The Stihl was the heaviest and the best. The aluminum pole feels very solid when you are using it.

liketocut

I have only used (2 years) Stihl HT101.
I think it's worth every penny. I'm no pro,
between Dad and I we have just over 600 acres
of fence and field edges to keep trimmed
Cuts good and starts easy, cold or hot.

Al_Smith

The HT 75 is longer being made,as was already said . Coincidently ,just a week or so ago I worked on one with a bend shaft,something quite common on these things and a real challange to repair I might add .

My personal pole saw is an inexpensive Poulan .While it's not nearly the quality of a Stihl it does just fine for the stuff I do .Further more you can buy about 3 of these these things for the price of just one Stihl . It only has an 8 or 10 inch bar though but that will get just about anything short of lopping a 12 inch  limb from a big oak which you wouldn't normally do with a pole saw any way .

olyman

i just bought a like new ht75---the reason i bought a stihl--because it has the longest extension--almost 12 foot--the others dont---and im not a stihl person--but you got to do what you got to do------

thecfarm

I was kinda looking for one I think last year.The one I wanted was a removable power unit so I would not have to buy a bunch of motors too.Stihl was the only one that offered this feature.I should say that I felt was worth it to look at.Probaly more  by now do this.One comes up with an good idea and they all copy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

The Poulan is 12 feet also but it's not adjustable ,you get all 12 at once . Like I said though it's not nearly the quality of the Stihl but then it doesn't cost as much either .It all depends on what you want I guess

sawguy21

The Kombi system thecfarm mentioned is increasingly popular. The only downside is lack of reach. It is not telescoping although a 3 foot extension is available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cheyenne

check out the husky it will reach out 16' and the balance is great & cuts like a dream runs about $550 great for working in blowdowns & limbing. cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

D._Frederick

I  have a fixed shaft Husqy that is a pleasure to use, it has plenty of power to get a 5inch limb. I have had nothing but problems with the bar oiler, cost me $80 to replace the pump. It had a valve in it that would not work and I could not take it apart to clean.

uwharrie

Quote from: Good Feller on August 29, 2008, 11:30:57 AM
I'm wanting to get a gas pole saw.  Any recommendations?  I'd like one with a 10-14" bar.  I'm going to use it for my forestry business.  I want something good,,, no junk.  Thank you. 

I , just like most of the others would recommend the Stihl HT131. It has plently of power and it's priced right. The HT131 has a more powerful engine than the HT101 for only 50 bucks more. 

sawguy21

The HT131 also has an extra bearing in the tube to prevent the shaft from whipping at full extension. A number of our customers run the Kombi hedge trimmer attachment on it (with the short shaft removed) and it works well. There were shaft failures on the HT101 when used this way because of vibration.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 01, 2008, 12:19:54 AM
The HT131 also has an extra bearing in the tube to prevent the shaft from whipping at full extension. A number of our customers run the Kombi hedge trimmer attachment on it (with the short shaft removed) and it works well. There were shaft failures on the HT101 when used this way because of vibration.
ok, so heres the question---can that bearing be mounted in the ht75 i just bought??? ---as i dont need a shaft failure in mine---as i know stihl parts get mighty expensive---

Al_Smith

Quote from: olyman on September 01, 2008, 08:05:18 AM

ok, so heres the question---can that bearing be mounted in the ht75 i just bought??? ---as i dont need a shaft failure in mine---as i know stihl parts get mighty expensive---
[/quote] The HT 75 uses a kind of plastic tube on the upper portion on the shaftway .That part of the shafting is round .The lower section is splined and runs in three bearings .The center one is floating ,held on center by two counter opposing springs .

According to the local Stihl dealer it costs about as much to replace the shafts and tubing as it would to buy a new unit .This is why I straightened out my buddys saw for him ,at least it works now .

Good Feller

So what is the procedure when you get the bar pinched 16ft off the ground???  I don't have a ladder that tall or a boom truck,,,, hence why I'm wanting a pole saw in the first place. 

I like Al Smith's logic.  I could buy 3 poulans for the price of one Stihl.  An 8 inch bar should cut through most situations.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to cut 12 inch limbs 16ft off the ground anyways.  $500-$600 bucks for a pole saw is a big hit to the wallet.  If one poulan takes a crap you have 2 more as back up.  Nobody likes poulan but my smallest chainsaw is a poulan woodshark and I like it.  I keep it cleaned up and maintained,,, it is a good saw for the price.  I'm leaning towards the poulan. 
Good Feller

Rocky_J

In that case get the Poulan. That isn't what you asked for in your initial post. You said you wanted something of high quality, no junk. You asked for something with a 10-14" bar. The Stihl models are high quality, no junk, with a 12" bar. But you gotta pay for them. If you want cheap, then go buy whatever they sell at Home Depot. The clerks there can assist you.  ;)

This is why I quit offering saw advice here 3 years ago. Looks like it's time for me to quit posting again.

cheyenne

in your original post you said no junk. now your saying i can buy 3 pieces of junk for the price of quality & safty. I have the perfect solution for you. GET A BEAVER & A WOODPECKER                       

beenthere

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 01, 2008, 10:39:08 AM
In that case get the Poulan. That isn't what you asked for in your initial post. You said you wanted something of high quality, no junk. You asked for something with a 10-14" bar. The Stihl models are high quality, no junk, with a 12" bar. But you gotta pay for them. If you want cheap, then go buy whatever they sell at Home Depot. The clerks there can assist you.  ;)

This is why I quit offering saw advice here 3 years ago. Looks like it's time for me to quit posting again.

I don't get upset when someone doesn't take my advice, or my opinion on the forum. It is just that...and no more. Raising a question like Good Feller did, with some initial idea of his intentions was helpful in directing the comments he received. However, some of the comments made sense...3 cheap ones for the price of one expensive, possibly higher quality one. It does make one think a bit more about the decision Good Feller faces.
I think the thought that a pole saw can get pinched in a cut 16 ft off the ground is a very valid one...as it does happen and with only one power pole saw, it means getting the long hand pole saw out and relieving the pinched bar. That has worked for me, a few times.
I figure if my advice or suggestion isn't taken, it is not my fault. But if it is at least considered in the final decision, that is good enough for me.
This place is great for sharing ideas from so many, and likely Rocky_J's ideas are read by many others (now, and into the future) and helps everyone make their decisions regards the subject. I don't take Good Fellers decision personally.  It's his money  ;D ;D 8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

And here I thought the purpose of the forum was for the individual to make the most intelligent and informed decision possible considering that person's resources and whether they are of limited or unlimited nature. I agree with Beenthere, not everyone can, will, or should purchase a professional quality tool. Different strokes, different folks, that's all. If soneone does not take my advice that's fine sometimes it is best they ask and then make their own call.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

WDH

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on September 01, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
I agree with Beenthere, not everyone can, will, or should purchase a professional quality tool.

I also agree 100% with this assessment.  The incidental user may never get the quality out of a tool unless they use it frequently. 

However, if you do use a tool like a chainsaw or pole saw or brush saw frequently, the poor quality will not hold up with hard and heavy use, and you (or is it just me) will become frustrated, spending too much time working on the tool or taking it to the repair shop and not getting your work done. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rocky_J

I also agree that not everybody needs the best tool on the market. But when somebody comes on here and says they want a quality tool, no junk, and it will be used commercially and then turns around and rejects all the good advice to buy junk, then it feels like I'm wasting my time even trying to answer the question or offer my advice. If you want cheap, then ask about cheap and I won't bother trying to steer you towards the best, most expensive tool.

cheyenne

if this person is in the forestry business as they state and they came on my property with junk they would get my boot up there rump. they won't be in business long because the cheap junk will kill someone. ROCKY J is right and more to the point! in the words of smartest man ever knowN.------doing the same thing over & over & over again is the hieght of stupidity. ALBERT EINSTIEN         (over & over & over again is cheap junk) POULAN                                                                             CHEYENNE             

rebocardo

The most effective and easiest way I have found to free a stuck pole saw is to throw a rope over the end of the branch, grab the rope end with a paint pole so you are not directly under the branch. Then make a hang mans noose and tighten the rope up. Then bounce the branch or rock it side to side, it almost always frees the saw. It helps if you hold the saw so it does not come crashing down.   

Al_Smith

Well ,most likely the best pole saw on the market is the Stihl ,it comes with a price .

I don't care who made it though ,you can screw them up big time .Then again you can screw up anything .

Don't think that just because a product states that it is a so called professional model that it is in fact fool proof because it's not .You have to use a little common sense about these things ,which in fact might not be so common .

cheyenne

if you get a pole saw bound up your not paying attention. there for limbing not cutting timber. i have never had a pole saw bind on me since the day they came out.  they have there place and it not to replace common sence and work.  where were the pole saws in 1890

beenthere

cheyenne
IF you use a pole saw, your time will come...sooner, or later.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

kenneth

Hello,
I purchased an Echo, fixed position ( I do have the extention to bolt on ) it has a ten inch bar , the oiler is manuel ( you flip it over it fills up and drips out on the bar ). I purchased this about eoght years ago. I was managing a five hundred acre apple orchard and used it to prune and graft the 35,000 semi dwarf trees. It has had a few idle problems over the years but I called the company and they gave me a set up for the carb. When it has acted up I reset everything to factory and it is good to go. I am now using it for clearing roads on my property, and the ocasional tree job. It is a nice machine, not much it wont cut. When I have to buy a new one I think the telescoping handle would be very handy ( they are much heavier ) it works great for under cutting hung up trees at a safe distance.The biggest problem I have seen with it is that everyone I know wants to borrow it. Good luck with your decision. ( yes I have got it pinched  :-[ )
                        Ken

Good Feller

EDITED AND RECORDED BY JEFF  >:(
Good Feller

jokers

The place for a modern Poulan is in the hands of a person who won`t be using it much, a pro will unquestionably be better off with a better product from the get go. Unfortunately this means a greater initial investment but the cost per use amortized over the life of a regularly used tool will be lower on the pro tool than the box store version.

I`ve pinched my pole saw a few times when I first started using it and didn`t fully comprehend the dynamics of angled severing cuts from the ground but eventually got beyond that stage. You will eventually learn as well Good Feller if you put some thought into what you observe as you work, then you won`t need those extra polesaws.  :D

Jeff

I'm about ready to get out my Ban button.  This crap will not take place of the forestry forum.  If you cant post civil with each other at ALL TIMES get the hell off my website. Do you understand?  Knock it off and knock it off NOW!

Jesus. I was just blasted for having differing standards for different individuals because of this thread.  Do you all think I have time to read every word on every forum instantaneously?  Yea, right, if I was super humon I would use those powers to kick a few asses right now for disrupting the atmosphere that I have spent years trying to promote. Can you tell I'm *pithed yet?  Knock it off or leave. Go. Goodbye Adios. Or play nice and use the forum for its intended purpose.  You all know what my standards are and if you dont, ya better learn them quick.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thedeeredude

We have an older echo at work.  I think its a 2001 model.  It used to have a 17 foot extension but was very unwieldy and hard to control.  It now has a 13 foot(I think) extension max.  The original head was broken by a falling limb and it cost around $200 to get a new head.  It also needed new drive shafts and various other nickel and dime parts.  The price of parts added up to a new pole saw once you figure everything out.  I must say, the thing comes in handy, but its a pain to use.  Its a hate/love relationship :D  Engine wise its reliable as long as you take care of it.  Needless to say groundskeepers are hard on tools ;D 

Al_Smith

You can pinch the bar on  anything if you try although most of the time you don't ,it happens . --and yes I've hung a pole saw . To be quite honest I once had two saws hung in the same tree . :-[     Good thing I own a bunch of them .

It would be nice if they made a pole saw you could adjust the bar angle on but I'm not aware of any .

ladylake

So Al, how many chainsaws have you had pinched at the same time? Only 3 here, good thing I had 4 along, some of those snarly white oak get me.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thedeeredude

Al, stihl has this attachment.  Not exactly adjustable but its available.  From my use of a pole saw I think it would reduce the workload a little.

olyman

have had two pinched--and had to go to get the third--wonder how people that own only one saw do it?????????????  ;D ;D

Al_Smith

Quote from: olyman on September 02, 2008, 08:39:40 PM
have had two pinched--and had to go to get the third--wonder how people that own only one saw do it?????????????  ;D ;D
I imagine they utter some rather foul words then go get a wedge .

I haven't pinched one for a long while . The worst was a little saw about 40 foot up in a tree .I under cut a limb just a tad too much . Had to shinny down and get another to retrieve the first .

Getting back to the polesaw.If that thing could adjust at 90 or so degrees from the pole it would surely make things easier at times . If they make a hand polesaw that adjusts you would think they could do the same on a power pruner . I might have to delve into that when I get about a zillion other projects completed .

ladylake

It shouldn't be too hard to make a adjustable head, sure would help.  I think when you have 3,4 or 5 saws with you don't worry about getting them pinched too much untill you get down to the last one.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

boss hoss

Quote from: beenthere on September 01, 2008, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: Rocky_J on September 01, 2008, 10:39:08 AM

I don't get upset when someone doesn't take my advice, or my opinion on the forum. It is just that...and no more. Raising a question like Good Feller did, with some initial idea of his intentions was helpful in directing the comments he received. However, some of the comments made sense...3 cheap ones for the price of one expensive, possibly higher quality one. It does make one think a bit more about the decision Good Feller faces.
I think the thought that a pole saw can get pinched in a cut 16 ft off the ground is a very valid one...as it does happen and with only one power pole saw, it means getting the long hand pole saw out and relieving the pinched bar. That has worked for me, a few times.
I figure if my advice or suggestion isn't taken, it is not my fault. But if it is at least considered in the final decision, that is good enough for me.
This place is great for sharing ideas from so many, and likely Rocky_J's ideas are read by many others (now, and into the future) and helps everyone make their decisions regards the subject. I don't take Good Fellers decision personally.  It's his money  ;D ;D 8)
well said been there.i do in fact have a poulan 12 ft pole saw and for my home use-it does just fine,the bonus is that it also doubles as a weed whacker and a brush cutter(that will take down a 2 inch scrub tree in one swipe-after i adapted a 7.25 inch circle saw blade to it-good fit no modifications)-ya know what?
it's worth the money for $220-3 years latter with moderate use.
BOSS HOSS.

IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

cheyenne

Beenthere! you are 100% correct i was cutting a 28" Birch today. (dead standing) and all of a sudden the saw went half way through the tree and bound up. She was hollow in the middle. Had to strap her up to the four wheeler & releive the pressure & pull the saw out. Now the back cut & i can't spin her like i want so she's cut & standing on the stump hung up in the trees. Jerk her off with the four wheeler till she buries in the dirt, still hung in the trees now all i can do is cut her down in 2' sections. One scarey tree. As you said the time will come, but were having so much fun. Cheyenne

rebocardo

> wonder how people that own only one saw do it

See my rope trick ... or sometimes a person might decide to cut the whole tree down to get the pole saw back   :D  ;)

jokers

Quote from: ladylake on September 02, 2008, 08:23:08 PM
So Al, how many chainsaws have you had pinched at the same time? Only 3 here, good thing I had 4 along, some of those snarly white oak get me.   Steve
Is this some curious badge of honor?

Al_Smith

Quote from: jokers on September 04, 2008, 01:00:08 PM
So Russ,you never stuck one . :-\

Green Wood

I just bought the Stihl Kombi-System last week and am extremly happy with it. I got a line trimmer, a brushcutter, a power paddle and a pole saw, all of which work great. I took a dive and went with the most powerful power head They offer, I belive it is an FT110. This thing is amazingly powerful and I love it. You won't be let down with a Stihl pole saw.
(Echo offers a similar system, but it costs about the same)

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 04, 2008, 08:56:03 PM
Quote from: jokers on September 04, 2008, 01:00:08 PM
So Russ,you never stuck one . :-\
Yes I have, but never more than one and it`s not a common occurence. Must be that I`m simple or something but I can`t really imagine what would cause a person to rush so headlong that they wouldn`t consider what caused the first saw to stick and then take corrective actions or compensatory measures before sticking another along with it. Can you further elaborate to help me understand Al? How about you Steve?  ::)

Al_Smith

Ha ,further elaboration as to how a person could stick two saws in the same log .Well of course the biggest reason is not paying attention to detail and too darned lazy to drive a wedge . Stupid,yes indeed but education comes with a price they say .Just as they say there is no free woodpile .

All and all it worked out just fine .Having said that though I've only ever stuck a pole saw once ,how 'bout you Russ ? ;)

ladylake

I could have been funning a little or maybe those Echo's cut so fast they're stuck before you know it. Or it might have been on a huge white oak laying on a 40 degree hill and it might have been only 2 saws.  I guess I'm nowhere near perfect.  Steve

olyman

its callled a danged walnut tree that didnt have a straight branch in it--and when it fell--it almost wanted to roll like a tumbleweed--so as the branches were cut--it would pinch no matter how you tried to cut those blamed things---lots of fun--also knicked my knee with the saw on that tree---long day--but tree was in pieces by end of that day---!!!!!!!!!!

Al_Smith

Sit back kiddies ,uncle Al has a true story . Ya know the old goat is 60 years old and has ran chainsaws since he was 14 .

Everybody that has been at it long enough will do several things weather they ever admit it .--Put a chain on backwards ---dump gas in the oil tank or visa versa --stick a saw --drop a tree wrong and look with horror as to what it might hit on the way down .

Trust me ,nobody is perfect . ;)

cheyenne

i was cutting a big maple in my yard a few years back & she had a slight lean towards the inground pool. Well i cabled her off with a come along & proceeded to make make my cuts. You guessed it, notch her out, make back cut, wind change, cable snaps, tree in pool. Dumb Indian

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 08:08:41 PM
Sit back kiddies ,uncle Al has a true story . Ya know the old goat is 60 years old and has ran chainsaws since he was 14 .

Everybody that has been at it long enough will do several things weather they ever admit it .--Put a chain on backwards ---dump gas in the oil tank or visa versa --stick a saw --drop a tree wrong and look with horror as to what it might hit on the way down .

Trust me ,nobody is perfect . ;)
Al,

I`ve never said that I was perfect, that`s a concoction of Steve and yourself as you attempt to cast aspersions on my credibility, of course I`ve made mistakes, and I`ve made downright stupid  and sometimes even, really incredible mistakes(like getting married  ;)), but I try very hard to never make the same stupid mistake twice.

As to your question about how many times I`ve pinched a pole saw? Not many because I quickly learned to be very conservative in my cutting style with a pole, never even had to think about buying another to rescue the first.  :D

Al, I know that you`re smart enough that it hasn`t taken you half a decade to figure out a lot of things, but the fact that everyone makes mistakes isn`t exactly a revelation and I also doubt that you often make the same mistake twice.

Al_Smith

I wasn't picking on anybody ,just stating a fact .Anybody can mess up .

Fact is I've had this conversation on line with some of the greatest fallers and tree climbing arborists in the world and they all agree .Nothing personal was intended .

jokers

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2008, 09:40:53 PM
I wasn't picking on anybody ,just stating a fact .Anybody can mess up .

Fact is I've had this conversation on line with some of the greatest fallers and tree climbing arborists in the world and they all agree .Nothing personal was intended .
So do the greatest fallers and tree climbers in the world recommend having multiple cheap polesaws for self rescue? Inquiring minds want to know?  :D

Good Feller

This post has been bloody,,, but it is now over.  I caved and bought the *DanG stihl HT131 today.  You guys win,,, sorry Al. 
I drove 30 miles one way to get it.  I walked in and looked it over and said "wrap it up,,, I'll take it!"  The dealer then took it to the back room and fired it up like 5 times.  I was wondering,, what's the deal.  He came out and said there was something wrong with the way it idled and that he wouldn't sell it to me!  I was thinking OMG I should have bought the poulan.  He said he'd order another one.  I went home empty handed!  After I got home I called the store and said to cancel my order.  The dealer then said "After you left I got to looking at it and it was something minor with the throttle cable".  I was like I don't know.  Then he said he'd throw in 2 chains, a 6 pack of oil, take 10% off, and meet me half way with it in the morning.  The grand total with tax was $625.94.  Did I get a deal?  I hope it doesn't end up being a lemon.   
Good Feller

beenthere

That's the kind of dealer I'd be real happy with, regardless what brand he sold. He obviously wants you to 1) be happy with a tool that runs right, and 2) interested in having you as a customer. Sounds like a deal to me.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin

cheyenne

You made a smart educated choice. happy cutting. Cheyenne

Al_Smith

Oh you will do just fine and I hope it gives you years of reliable service .

Just a word of caution ,be careful not to bend the shafting .Most of them get parked for just that very reason .

jokers

Well Goodfeller I`m going to offer you a pat on the back for even considering the better saw instead of just going with the cheapest. I`m sure that the Stihl will serve you well, it`s meant for pro service.

rebocardo

> He came out and said there was something wrong with the way it idled and that he wouldn't
> sell it to me!

Not a bad dealer to have.

FWIW: Whenever I have bought a saw local, even when my Stihl dealer sold Huskies, they would assemble them, fire them up a few times, and test run it before handing the saw over.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I remember that happening to me too. He started a saw, didn't like the way it idled, went and got another one while I waited.

So, I wouldn't say it was unusual for a tech to start a saw, not quite like how it runs, then put it down and pick another for a customer or decide to order another one.

I have done the same sort of thing selling cars. It does not mean the original pick was bad, just something didn't feel right and it needed looking at. So, I would sell a different car and take the original home on a demo/test ride to be sure.

sawmilllawyer

Goodfeller now that's a Good Dealler. Seriously, it is important to have a dealer who will service and maintain your equipment, particularily for the dealer only fixes. Sounds like this guy realy wants your business but does not want to sell you something that is faulty. I say I would do more business with him over the years.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

thecfarm

Sounds like you did good with a dealer.I have no idea about price.Must have a warranty that came with it.If it turns out to be a lemon,which I would doubt it,take it back.That's why a dealer is a big help.But off the shelf you have to set it up yourself and fix any minor problem.Someone I know bought a cheap saw,off the shelf.Used it for 2-3 hours would not run good at all.All set to take it back,but thought he would try a new plug.That was the problem.Plug that came with it was junk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!