iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My very own governor as Republican Vice President nominee!

Started by Warbird, August 29, 2008, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Do you notice how much more fun it is to be for someone rather than against others?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

The extreme left has been attacking Palin as unqualified, with the goal of forcing her from the ticket.  Hmm, now, if my opponent picked a running mate who I knew was unqualified,what would I want to do?   Would I want to force her from the ticket, or would I keep quiet and get her on the ticket?  Then I would attack her weak points and beat the ticket in the fall.   However, if I was afraid of a candidate and knew I couldn't beat her, I might smear her and try to remove the threat.  Kind of obvious after last night what the truth really is. 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

TexasTimbers

She is the best thing to happen for our country since Ronald Reagan. 8) 8) 8)

Reid I would normally agree with you on Guilianni's speech, I really would, but sometimes you have to take the gloves off. The opposition and their dogs the media, deserve a bloody nose for what they have done and conitnue to do. I have no problem with them calling into question her experience and qualifications all they want, even though I think it is rediculoius to ignore Obama's total lack of it especially when she has a undeniable proven record of success after success in her short, stellar career . Still that is fair politics to attack someone's professional arena. But continuing to drag her children through the grinder is unforgivable.

Her speech was captivating, and not just because of what she said, but because of what she is . . . . the real deal!!! 8) 8) 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

Quote from: Cedarman on September 04, 2008, 06:41:01 AM
Do you notice how much more fun it is to be for someone rather than against others?

That's the way I'm proceeding. I'm not going to be against someone, I'm going to be for someone and that's a positive thing. Last night Stacy was remarking on what a stiff old man Senator McCain was. I told her that he did pretty good considering. She said considering what?  I brought her in to the office and found Fred Thompson's speech on line and she watched the part telling about McCain's life in its entirety. I sat at my computer while she watched on her moms.  I looked over a couple times and saw she was leaning into the screen.   Earlier as I watched the first part of Governor Palin's speech in the living room, she heard me early clapping and remarking out loud. She came in to see if if I lost my mind. Within moments she was sitting there watching as well, not because I was, but because Governor Palin's presence as Dan suggested, drew her and captivated her. This will be Stacy's first presidential election where she will vote. She made it clear last night she was now excited about it. She had never even mentioned it before, and now is excited and ready to be part of the process.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SPIKER

Quote from: TexasTimbers on September 04, 2008, 08:07:36 AM
Reid I would normally agree with you on Guilianni's speech, I really would, but sometimes you have to take the gloves off. The opposition and their dogs the media, deserve a bloody nose for what they have done and conitnue to do.
Still that is fair politics to attack someone's professional arena. But continuing to drag her children through the grinder is unforgivable.

I watched all of last night speech, (like 3 hrs worth0 ::), (part of reason I didn't get on here then :) 8)  I also watched a good part of the dems. :-X   what Mr Guilianni's speech was stinging so much was in direct remarks that the dems have made .   They were ones talking bad about Mrs Palin, & Guilianni simply provided a responses to things that were brought up in the latest on tv aired questions and or mud slinging that has gone on since McCain has made his pick public...    I actually LIKED Guilianni's speech it was pretty light hearted and humorous I thought... ;)   And I also thought it was responding to what has been put into the news by papers and the dems...  Especially the parts where Mrs Palin has not only been a Community ORGANIZER but also has ACTUAL LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE.  that is the truth from what I've been able to read...   

I also loved Palins speech, was very well written and even better how she gave it!  poised confident and deliberate :)  all in all very good.   
I've been a registered reformist (reform party) for a long time, I've voted both "dem" and "rep" depending on WHO was the best candidates I voted for Ross Rarrot (speling?) back along time ago and several locally who (SAID) they were for true reform even though they were under "Dem/Rep" tickets...   Since Ross Parrot there has not been a real reform candidate to even try & vote for...   I think that is why G Bush SR. didn't get his 2nd term, too many people voted for reform from the dis hearted republicans.   I think this will bring most of them back (McCain Palin ticket that is)

:) 8) 8) 8)
Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Warbird

Cedarman, Jeff...  absolutely.  I was already voting for McCain but with some reserve.  Now, however, I will be the happiest I've ever been to cast a vote.

About my local media and the attacks...  it had been really bad up here, like everywhere else.  The people who run the local news station are either blatantly extreme left/pro-Obama, or they were told to be.  Well, the lady newscaster looked like she was chewing on bile this morning, talking about Palin's speech last night.  And when they immediately countered with Obama's weak attempts after that story, the newscaster wasn't all smiles as usual.  Now, I try not to delight in other's upset feelings but it is very evident to me...  Sarah Palin got to them last night.  She got to them good.

I watched part of an interview this morning on a different news channel.  Katie Curric (sp?) (used to be on the extremely left leaning Today show) was interviewing Mrs McCain.  She hammered away with a few tough questions on Palin's stance on abortion, if they'd properly investigated her before she was picked, etc.  I'm telling you...  Sarah got to them last night!

Greg

Palin did what she needed to do last night, sound credible and take command of the situation. Passed with flying colors. I think the comparisons to Ronnie Reagan are a little ridiculous but hey if people are excited, let them be excited.

I was not at all impressed with Giuliani or Romney and reminded how much I would have been disappointed if they got the nomination.

I know this is a pro-GOP rally and these "red meat attacks" are to be expected, but the return of the one line zingers and mocking tone of the other ticket turned my stomach.  If your going to reform things/get results in DC you are going to have to sit down and work with these people/the dems - who will probably control both the senate and the house.

I think Huck does a real nice job of stating his views while not being mean spirited and insulting. And McCain has shown the same qualities, as he did here in Cincinnati, when he denounced a local radio media nutjob.

It'd be nice to get a little more substance tonight, instead of just more rah rah and boo boo. Specificlaly on how exactly the government footprint gets smaller and fiscally stable under a McCain administration. Whats the first government agency to get canned? Where are the program cuts coming from to pay for the continuation of the Bush tax cuts?

Greg

OneWithWood

:D :D :D :D

Enjoy it while you can folks  :)

I get a kick out of reading how the dems are such mud slingers and low-brows.  Not much mention of the fact that the dem campaign has elected to take the high road and not delve into family matters.  Don't mistake the media for the dem campaign.  

Of course we all know that the republican campaigns of the past eight years have been nothing but above board civilized affairs  :D :D :D :D

Sarah did deliver a good speech.  However, there are a few things she portrayed having done that may not be exactly as stated.  Her penchant for lobbying congress for all that pork barrel earmark money is a matter of public record and has already started to come out.  As for telling congress thanks but no thanks for that 'bridge to nowhere' her administration has overseen the construction of the $30 million access road to the invisible bridge.  It also should be noted that the money sent to Alaska to construct the bridge has not been returned.

check this out  http://www.truthout.org/article/attacks-praise-stretch-truth-gop-convention

There are a lot of opportunities for both sides to actually come forth with some concrete initiatives to overcome some of the damage done by the current administration and the republican lead congress ( 7 out of the last 8 years ) to our economy and world standing.  I hope each campaign takes the opportunity to say exactly what plans they will put in place instead of a bunch of rhetoric.  Time will tell, but I am still of the mind that the public has had enough of the republican agenda and even Sarah Palin will not be able to overcome that.
The pendallum has a way of swinging...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

The pendulum does swing! 8)

No one can be perfect, and no one is. Voting is about electing the person best able to lead the country in a positive direction, not the person who is without controversy. That person does not exist. Never will.

When people attack McCain or Palin, it is only prudent to acknowledge they have both made mistakes and done things that even their own party disagree with. For example I hate McCain's "tax plan" but Obama's is not a plan it is theft. Easy choice for me. This is a contest, so to ignore the litany of Obama/Biden deceptions, waffling, some say outright pattern of lies and deceipt, well that cannot and should not be done.

This is a race for the whitehouse and we now only have two choices for all practical purposes. To say that since Palin may not be an actual saint, therefore Obama deserves the title, that's outrageous. That's what the media, the mouthpiece/attack dogs for the liberal party are doing. Why do we scarcely hear about Obama's, the PRESIDENTIAL candidate's admitted cocaine use? His well-known ties to an anti-American terrorist? His sitting in a rascist, anti-semitical  church for 20 years then suddenly realizing he doesn't agree with any of that since he is now running for the Oval Office? His launching his campaign from the home of an unrependant terroist? Do the media fail to mention this because of a lack of evidence? :D No, not hardly. They fail to mention it because they are part of the liberal party itself. They feel obligated to craft and make news but not report it.

What we do hear about is the VP nominee's, husband's, DUI . . . . . 20 years ago, as if that should disqualify her. ::)

If Obama were the Republican candidate with all the baggage he has, he would have withdrew from the race by now because what the media is trying to do to Mrs. Palin is NOTHING compared to what they would be doing to Obama if he were the Rep. candidate. It would be unprecedented. Just imagine if Palin had used cocaine? If she had terrorist ties (they tried that outright lie and it went nowhere) or if she *really* didn't have any experience at anything meaningful. Or if she had voted "uh, present" 130 times because she could not figure out what she believed? Or if she had changed her position so many times even Hillary would have to call her down? Imagine all that being the track record of Sarah Palin? And what a frenzy they would have if she had answered *any* question ...."Well that's above my paygrade." :D :D :D

Can you imagine the bumperstickers and placards and the incessant news re-runs of that answer you would be seeing from the left and their media?

Now, for the lighter side of news, I thought her hairdo was a little rambuncous, but her dress was very nice. Loved the color of Mrs. McCains dress as well. ;D

OneWithWood

TT, you crack me up!  :D :D

All those things you lay on Obama were in fact reported by the media.  That's where you got it.  Some true and some a real stretch of the truth and some lies.  In my book it shows him to be an rather ordinary person willing to listen to folks without condemning them, even people he does not agree with.  BTW, I missed that Obama launched his campaign from the home of an unrepentant terrorist.  Would you care to enlighten me on that one?  You are aware, I am sure, that John McCain had a reputation as a party animal and womanizer for much of his life, not ot mention a major slacker at the academy in all things accept causing trouble.  He wasn't a very good pilot either  ;)

The information on Palin's husband and family matters were released by the Republican cmapaign, not by any left wing liberal conspiracy.

I agree about the hairdo and it was nice to see Palin in a color other than black.  ;)
One With Wood

Warbird

Hey there guys.  Please keep the debating in the 'Stumping...' thread?  Thanks.  And OWW, thank you, I'm enjoying it very much.  ;)  I think most of your critical comments of Palin could be summed up with, "She just hasn't got to it yet."  Especially when you look at how much she has done in her 2+ years as Governor.  I'd be happy to discuss it further in the other thread, if you want.

OneWithWood

One With Wood

Jeff

Stacy's mom went to bed early last night as she gets up at 4:45 now to drive bus.  When She got home from driving this morning, STACY had her mom in front of the computer watching Governor Palin's speech again.  Earlier I heard her talking to her brother on the phone. She called him to tell him that he needed to vote this year, then proceeded to tell him why.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

Don't worry Bird, OWW and myself have an agreement. He can be wrong just as much as me and neither one of us gets up tight about it.  :D

8) 8) 8)

Warbird

I'm sorry guys.  What I meant is that Jeff has allowed for political debating/heavy discussions to occur in the Stumping thread.  I'm trying to respect his rules by keeping that stuff over there.  Maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut about it and let the Mods & Admins do their job.  ;)

Bibbyman

Geraldine Ferraro, bless her heart.  She has been interviewed almost constantly since Palin's VP announcement.  I listened to her response a number of times and it was tepid at best and always with a – "yea but" summation of what she felt was Palin's negative points.

But just a while ago she gave a different response.  More like a proud mother.  She still does not agree with Palin's political views.  She made that clear.  But she was complementary on many of her other attributes and all but validated Palin as a viable VP choice. 

When Ferraro was asked what advice she would give Palin, she commented she didn't need to give Palin advice.  But she'd advice Biden to take notes because he's not going up against a pushover.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Even Biden himself said she is going to be tough in the debates.  "I'd better get to work", he said.  He was complimentary about her speech, and made no negative comments in the interview I heard. :)

Looking back to last night, I think one thing that made her speech play well, was that she spoke, rather than shouting.  Now Obama is a master orator, but even he could take a lesson from this.  He usually sounds like he doesn't know he has a microphone.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

I've heard this morning a little that went on just before she took the stage and while she was giving her speech.

Apparently, it's customary for them to have a hard copy backup of the speech so if the teleprompter went down, they would have the written copy in front of them to fall back on.  As she was heading out on stage, she asked for her hard copy.  Her four handlers did not have a fresh copy.  All they had were marked up versions.  An intern offered a copy that wasn't marked up but it had been rolled up and stuffed in his pocket.  She took it and remarked it'd be ok,  just give her a book or something to press it out.

She went out on stage and the teleprompter was down.  They got it up again while the crowd was applauding.  Then it went down again a couple of times during her speech.  And at least for a while,  it was cutting off the first two lines. 
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

Just think how great Palin's speech would have been if they had gotten everything right. :D :D

Did you see Bob Beckel (sp) just about go into apoplexy when he found out O'Reilly was interviewing Obama tonight?  Bob said he wouldn't do that, then just kinda kept shaking his head.  That spoke volumes.

Then McCain on later.
Looks like a double bowl popcorn night.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

I just seen numbers posted on viewer of Palin's speech last night.  37,244,000  just a tad short of Obama's big speech with 38,379,000 viewers.

Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

Now I understand why my dad used to ask my mom . . ."Honey, why do you watch that junk (payton Place)?", and why my mom used to watch it.  But this is much better than Payton Place . . .  it's real.

Warbird

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 04, 2008, 02:35:53 PM
She went out on stage and the teleprompter was down.  They got it up again while the crowd was applauding.  Then it went down again a couple of times during her speech.  And at least for a while,  it was cutting off the first two lines. 

Bibby, where did you read this info?  I hadn't heard it until you posted it here.  I liked Biden's comment on how her speech was "extremely well delivered". 

PawNature

I loved the personal touch she gave her kid. I guess a hair was going wild and she licked her fingers and smoothed it down. Nobody but a Loving mother would have dont that in front of the whole world.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warbird on September 04, 2008, 08:25:29 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on September 04, 2008, 02:35:53 PM

Bibby, where did you read this info?  I hadn't heard it until you posted it here.  I liked Biden's comment on how her speech was "extremely well delivered". 

We were home bound all day by heavy rains from Gustav so we watched a lot of TV – off and on.  Every reporter that gave a review of Palin's speech talked about the tepepompter problem and wrinkled hard copy.

But I had a hard time finding those comments in an article I could link to.  But I found this one just for you...

Palin Overcame Teleprompter Problems, Missing Hard Copies

It's pretty short.  Here is the whole article.

"Sarah Palin electrified the Republican convention Wednesday, all the while reading off a faulty teleprompter and an outdated draft, John McCain officials told FOX News on Thursday.
The Alaska governor overcame several glitches and technical problems to deliver her speech without getting flustered, impressing McCain and his staff and allowing them to breathe a sigh of relief.

Foremost of the obstacles, Palin's teleprompter was not working properly. When she took the podium, the machine rolled so quickly, it often skipped the first line or two of every paragraph on screen. The operator said he had new equipment and wasn't sure how it would work.

However, Palin also went on stage with a slightly outdated hard copy of her speech. For various unexplained reasons, she and her closest advisers had an old draft on hand, and even had a hard time furnishing one of those for her to use. Several of the drafts were scribbled on, so one aide gave Palin a wrinkled, folded copy out of his pocket.

Officials said Palin responded in mom-like fashion, concluding, "Well, I suppose I could put a book on it and smooth it out a little. "

During one part of her speech, she couldn't see the teleprompter because signs were blocking it. That was when she ad-libbed a line about the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull — "lipstick."

The line was a hit with the audience. It is something she had jokingly said to staff during the speech prep process."

Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I also came up with this that ups Palin's total viewer to more than 40 million.

Sarah Palin scores huge viewership at RNC  – The Live Feed

"The event also drew more female viewers than Hillary Clinton's speech last week."

"Also, PBS just chimed in to say 3.2 million watched on their network, which brings Palin's total viewership on ad-supported and public airwaves to more than 40 million."

I also heard tonight that Palin's speech was carried on four less networks than Obama's.  Do I have to find something on that?

I'm going to bed...  zzzz_smiley
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!