iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

species for splines

Started by bigshow, August 27, 2008, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

What are species I can choose from for splines??

Oak is a given...how about Walnut? anything else?  Anyone using plywood where splines wont be seen?

My frame will be EWP...and in some places, I'd really like the splines to pop....
I never try anything, I just do it.

jmaine

I saw an EWP frame with cherry splines. The contrast in color looked really nice.  I think red oak would look good, and even walnut. I think anything that is a contrast in color will bring out the spline and make people notice it. If it was the same color, it wouldn't be as noticable.

Joe

Brad_bb

You could use many hardwoods as long as they are stable and properly selected for good straight grain - Walnut, cherry, Oak, Ash, locust, Osage, other fruit tree hardwoods provided they pass the quality test.  For contrast I like the idea of Black walnut, or Osage if you can get a good piece big enough.  For strength and quality probably Black Walnut, White oak etc.  but you have many options if look is what you're going for.  Make sure the calculations are done using values for the given species and select high quality material for them.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bigshow

been so busy cutting the frame i dont get here often.....thanks for the replies fellas....
I never try anything, I just do it.

Thank You Sponsors!