iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

35 degree opinions

Started by Old_Hickory, August 27, 2008, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Hickory

I just got a new sharpforce  its has a inset of 35 degrees What are the advantages and disadvantades  of sharpening at 35 degrees
gotta love those XP saws

Cut4fun

My unexperienced opinion is cuts fast, but don't stay sharp as long.

Al_Smith

Some chain is just sharpened at 35 degrees  and some at 30 .

Cut4fun

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 28, 2008, 05:49:12 AM
and some at 25  ;).

isawlogs

Filling at 35° should be done for sawing softwoods , when sawing hard wood or frozen one should back off a few °'s  where the 30° comes in .
  Mind you my saws are all filed at 35°'s winter summer or whenever  ;) Only time I will back off is if I am sawing some real hard maple , just makes life easier for me and the saw .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

John Mc

I file 25˚ for chisel chain, 30˚ for the semi-chisel. Cutting mostly hardwoods.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Quote from: isawlogs on August 28, 2008, 04:28:14 PM

Filling at 35° should be done for sawing softwoods , when sawing hard wood or frozen one should back off a few °'s  where the 30° comes in .

Well, the best way to saw frozen wood is to wait until it thaws out .You might do better on a piece of concrete .

Now then ,on chisel you get to fooling with the angle don't forget on some of it there is also an up angle to be considered if you get to changing the geometry .

beenthere

Al
Where are you that you can avoid cutting frozen wood...that is the best time to be buckin it up. ;D ;D ;D

I don't notice that the chain cuts different than unfrozen wood. If any difference, it is small.

Now, concrete...dat I notice.  ;D ;D

I file my chisel close to 30°, and think it works good for hardwoods. The mark on the tooth is at 35°, if I recall correctly. The GOL (Game of Logging) instructor also recommended 30° for the chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Urbicide

I run Carlton semi-chisel chain (Bailey's Woodsman Pro). It comes with a 35* angle and that is what I keep it at. Works good for me and I am cutting all sorts of stuff doing TSI. I don't know how to act when I get to cut something that is green & clean. ;D

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on August 28, 2008, 10:03:14 PM
Al
Where are you that you can avoid cutting frozen wood...that is the best time to be buckin it up. ;D ;D ;D

Try green oak that is frozen sometime . :D

Actually last winter was the first time I ever ran into frozen wood .Most of the time the stuff is bucked to length as is is taken down ,unless it's a lumber log .

It seems one of my trimmer buddys dropped me off somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 cords of oak  in November ,cut like a typical trimmer at about 4 feet long . In Feb  when I could not cut the danged stuff with a hot running  ported Stihl 038 Mag I got out the Mac gear drive .That didn't do well either  so I just kinda let sleeping dogs lie until the thaw .

Old_Hickory

35 degrees did'nt work to well on my 346.But wonderful up to 6 inch stuff  but takes to much bite anything over that  gonna back down to 30
gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 29, 2008, 03:35:23 PM
............Try green oak that is frozen sometime . :D

Green red and white oak is mainly all I cut, with an occasional maple, ash, and hickory thrown in.  ;D ;D
Not a problem here, for the last 40 winters.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dancan

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 28, 2008, 09:33:08 PM
Well, the best way to saw frozen wood is to wait until it thaws out .You might do better on a piece of concrete .

I cut some standing dead locust for the first time a few weeks ago , now that was concrete !  ;)

sorry , no opinion on angles

arojay

Well, the bugs are dead when the wood is frozen, in my neck of the woods.  What is a "neck of the woods" anyway?  I haven't checked for so long I don't even know what angle I am filing at now.  I use Carlton file-o-plates so I file at whatever they are set at.  Works for me.  By the way, I switched back to Oregon lg chain for about a year now and the angle on the f-o-p is the same as the Oregon chain. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

barbender

I've never noticed any difference in thawed or frozen wood, whether it was oak pine or anything between. Dead standing black ash, the bark falls off and it dries real hard. Elm too. Now that stuff is hard, the saw teeth bounce off of it. Kind of like driving a car on rumblestrips :)
Too many irons in the fire

isawlogs

The 25 / 30 degree filling aint so much of an issue today . It was when hand saws where used to cut the trees . With the saws that are on the market today , it would not matter much .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

I cut mostly Alaskan birch and spruce and sharpen my chains at 33 degrees.  The saw handles it very well and cuts like sword through a stick of soft butter.

Cut4fun

I  got a used saw from Vancouver and it had a 20" .325 chain sharpened at 20 degrees  :o.  I tried it and didn't care for how it cut in the ash log.
Went a resharpened to a 30 degree and dropped the rakers to .030 and she was liking it. Wonder why someone would put a 20 degree on a 49cc saw to cut with up there.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 28, 2008, 01:50:34 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 28, 2008, 05:49:12 AM
and some at 25  ;).

Yep, but I mostly file my Oregon chains at 30, even though the specs say 25.
Information collector.

Dave Shepard

I file the same as it comes from the factory. I think the Stihl round chisel is 25° from perpendicular, and 10° from level. The square chisel is even less of an angle, perhaps 10° from perpendicular from the bar. That seems to help with ripping cuts as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

They will all cut when sharp,35% is a through back to when all we had was chipper chain.Today less angle ,I usally just copy what the chain had when new,manufacturer knows more than I do I hope.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!