iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to pick a saw

Started by underdog, August 27, 2008, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

underdog

24" Bar is just a preference. Will probably end up with a couple different setups after the initial purchase.
Yes i realize that the advertised weights leave alot out; But it is a good baseline.
I figured about 400 at the minimum or fair base; but do not really want to think about a 700 and better saw.
looks like i am headed for about 600 to get in.
I found some dealers up around Oneida. 2 regular saw shops; one claims to speak husky. Think i will find a Jonsered there?
All good points.
Ok you twisted me into considering a stihl. But i have never liked them. MS 361 around 600.00 Not Me!!!
The Sexy Red and Black  JONSERED 2159  12# - 59cc - 3.6 cu.inch  has really got me wanting to find my checkbook.
It is real close the 4cu.inch Tom recomended.

Cut4fun

When I said 359, I meant the 2159. I ran a Ken Dunn modded 2159 and it was quite a work saw. I really like the handle layout on it. But that is a personnel preference.

hokie97

Underdog,
I have a 5100 with a 16" .325 bar.  It does cut very well, but I think with the 20" 3/8 chain you may be less impressed with the preformance.  This is kind of reach for a saw with this power, but if you are not often going to be using the entire 20" bar you may be ok.  I go to a 372 with a 20" bar for the big stuff, but I think you have already ruled out this big of a step up.

John Mc

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 28, 2008, 02:08:51 PM
If you are talking $400 budget new I would get the 5100 or 359

Last I checked a couple of months ago, around here a 359 was $509 with bar and chain. You migh twant to check if Jonsered's "bag it and drag it" sale is still going on. They'd give you $125 off most saws if you brought in any chainsaw for trade, running or not... it could even be in pieces, it just had to be complete. This brought the 2152 down to $389 w/16" bar and chain, and the 2159 down to about $485 w/and 18" bar and chain.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

Man your not kidding on prices going up are you  :'(.  Seems like just the other day the Dolmar 5100 was $325 - $350, the Husky 357 was $469-$499, 359 $409-$429, Dolmar 7900 $529-$569. Gas was $1.29 just a couple of years ago too.

Guess I better reevaluate my saw pricing, if I ever decide to get rid of some of them  ::).

Now 5100 $409, 357 $569, 359 $479, 7900 $669, Gas $3.69  :-X

John Mc

Where are you finding those prices? Those are great compared to what I'm seeing at local dealers here in Vermont. I just found my notes on a quote from a few weeks ago: A 357XP was $735. A 359 was $517 (both with bar and chain). Calls to a dealer in New Hampshire yielded similar prices.

These are up from the prices I had a few months ago: the local dealer wanted $659 for the 357, and $509 for the 359. Strange that one saw is up so much, and the other is almost unchanged. I even had him double check the 357 price for me.

If I could get a 357 new for the price you mentioned, I'd be doing some serious talking to the dealer. If that price included a bar and chain, I'd already own one.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

underdog

The Dollar is just is not what it used to be :-\
What i am trying to figure out is there marketing geniuses.
You cannot buy a Stihl or Husqvarna via internet. I guess they are trying to protect there brick and mortar sales.
But that is a proven wrong business model. They are two different customers.
And Husqvarna is even slaughtering its brick and mortar end. Solo sell thru ace hardware? Guess that solved there distribution problems; but what a way to get a little known model out.
Seems like there should be some place where they sell chainsaws all chainsaws. Anyway u would like it. Walk in or internet.
Knowledgable sales and service with a parts catalog that has every part known available.
One stop shopping is the new business model.

underdog

Quote from: John Mc on August 28, 2008, 12:16:55 PM
Underdog (I used to work with a guy in Ohio by that nickname) -

That has been my CB Handle for about the last 18yrs.
Underdog

Hero or      end of the stick.
You decide ;D

boss hoss

I HAVE A J-RED.IT'S 42CC'S AND ONCE I GET HER GOING-SHE ROCKS(JUST LIKE MY OLD GIRL FRIEND).I'VE USED IT NOW FOR A YEAR AND LAST WEEK I THOUGHT IT WAS TIME TO CHECK THE AIR FILTER---DA.... .
ANYWAY-I PULLED IT AND IT WAS CLEAN!!W.T.H.??
IT'S WHAT THEY CALL THE TURBO MODEL-AND APPARENTLY THERE'S AN AIR FLOW THAT BLOWS ACROSS THE CARB AND HELPS TO KEEP THE FILTER FREE OF CHIPS.
YA KNOW WHAT--IT WORKS.
THE MAIN REASON THAT I BOUGHT THE SAW WAS THAT THE ENGINE IS SUPPORTED BY SPRINGS-AND IT IS.MINIMAL VIBES-NO INVOLUNTARY SHAKES WHEN THE DAY IS DONE.
LAST WEEK END-I PUT HER TO THE TASK OF 20" LOGS AND SHE BUCKED EM UP-NO PROBLEM.
SHE WAS STILL READY TO GO (LIKE MY OLD GIRLFRIEND)-BUT MY BUTT WAS WOOPED AFTER 7 HRS OF BUCKING UP LOGS.
THE WOOD PILE LOOKS GREAT-------AND SO DID SHE. 8)
GO RED-GO BLACK.
IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

underdog

Quote from: John Mc on August 28, 2008, 09:03:27 PM
Where are you finding those prices? Those are great compared to what I'm seeing at local dealers here in Vermont. I just found my notes on a quote from a few weeks ago: A 357XP was $735. A 359 was $517 (both with bar and chain). Calls to a dealer in New Hampshire yielded similar prices.

These are up from the prices I had a few months ago: the local dealer wanted $659 for the 357, and $509 for the 359. Strange that one saw is up so much, and the other is almost unchanged. I even had him double check the 357 price for me.

If I could get a 357 new for the price you mentioned, I'd be doing some serious talking to the dealer. If that price included a bar and chain, I'd already own one.

John Mc
Use your search function ;) Google or whatever.
I should not drop names here.
But i found two places listing: Husqvarna 357XP = 630.00

beenthere

For comparison, the MS361 Stihl 20" at the local dealer was $579 last week. Their MS260 was $470.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

> yes but the 372 at 13,4 lbs

Ummm... I posted it two weeks ago, but, my Husky 365 without a bar was 15.2 or 15.6 pounds, I forget which. I measured on a digital postal scale. Same as the Husky 272.

I start my saw purchases by how much can I afford to spend, then work my way backwards from there.

For a small cheap saw with an 18" bar, I have been happy with my MS-250 as a backup, limbing, and light duty firewood saw.

RSteiner

I have an older Husky 272XP, a even older Husky 257, and a new Dolmar 5100S.

The Dolmar is the smallest displacement saw of the lot but has the fastest chain speed, 15,500 RPM, and is the lightest of the three.  I paid just under $400.00 for it with a 16" bar and 3/8 pitch chain.
This little saw cuts like a champ.  I like it alot

The Husky 257 even at 12 years old is one tough saw and I will grab it before I grab the 272XP. This saw is rated at 14,500 RPM and the weight is around a pound more than the Dolmar.  I believe the displacement of the 257 is about half a cubic inch more than the Dolmar also. 

The 272XP has been a good saw especially for the bigger hardwood.  It is a little heavy for me to limb with if I am going to be cutting all day.  I paid just under $600.00 for that saw new about 10 years ago.  I saw a 372XP power head for sale last week for $695.00 so they have not gone up too much in price. 

I have had good experiences with all three saws so far.  I bought the Dolmar mainly for a limbing saw, which it works very well for.  I recently bucked up a 2 cord pile of logs firewood with the 5100S.  A tank of fuel lasted a long time and I had some maple that took the whole bar length th get through without a hesitation.

Randy
Randy

SawTroll

Quote from: underdog on August 27, 2008, 07:47:08 PM
372xp = 700.00 and better than 13 Lbs looks like a nice saw though.
I am not handling more than Husqvarna 460 - 12.8 lbs; and it is about out of  the race on weight.
The other two are alot more affordable.
So that leaves the other two.
Cut4fun  thanks.   I did a bunch more reading 
Windsor claims they make a bar 20" in either .325 or 3/8 in .050 and .058
Oregon claims 20 in .325 and .050 and .058
So whats the big difference between .325 and 3/8 chain? i think i read the .325 takes a narrow cut.
And what is the difference in  .050 and .058
What would be the desirable combination for a 50cc to 60cc saw
346xp - 3.7 hp - 10.6 lbs  looks like a competetor. The  357XP or XPG - 12.1 lbs -  4.4 hp  looks nice but the price is high.

The Husky 460 is not a pro saw, and doesn't compare to the others in quality - forget that one!

Regarding the specs, the 357xp/2156 and the 2159/359 weights a lot more than advertised, and the 5100 a tad more as well.

It sounds like the 5100 is the right saw for you, but are you sure you really need a 20" bar?
If so, go with a .325 setup.
Get a shorter setup as the main one, and use the 20" only when needed.

Try to avoid the chains that usually come standard on the Dolmar, wether it is .325 or 3/8".
Ask for Oregon LP or Stihl RSC (not RSC3).

Personally I prefer the NE346xp to the 5100S, but that's another story.....

Information collector.

RSteiner

QuoteIt sounds like the 5100 is the right saw for you, but are you sure you really need a 20" bar?
If so, go with a .325 setup.
Get a shorter setup as thye main one, and use the 20" only when needed.

Try to avoid the chains that usually come standard on the Dolmar, wether it is .325 or 3/8".
Ask for Oregon LP or Stihl RSC (not RSC3).

Personally I prefer the NE346xp to the 5100S, but that's another story.....

I totally agree.

When I purchased my 5100S it was sold with an .325 pitch 18" bar.  I asked to have a .375 pitch 16" bar put on instead.  I ended up with an Oregon bar and  LP chain, I like that chain better.  If I was going to use a bar any longer than 16" I would have stayed with the .325 pitch chain.

I do run the Stihl chain on both my Huskys and when the Dolmar needs one it will be a Stihl also.

Randy
Randy

underdog

Ok  :P now we are getting down to it.
HUSQVARNA 357XP     4.4 hp  12# - 57cc = 600.00
Dolmar 5100S           4 hp     11# - 50.7cc = 400.00

Then lets try and see where this one fits in--   Solo 656   11.7# - 4.4 hp - 56cc = 530.00 
                                                                        Anyone have an opinion on this saw??

See its all about wants and needs ;D
Yes both of these fit my needs. both have been getting high praises. Would be nice to test drive each.
All agree 18" and 16" bar are a good match for either saw.

boss hoss: That was a good story.

Cut4fun

Underdog do you need a sales and service type saw dealer? If so take in to consideration how far they are and if they are dependable to work with. I drive past a stihl dealer close by to go to one twice as far to get people that understand. or are you going Internet?

How far is the Stihl dealer? Husky? Jonsered? Dolmar?

If you are going to pay $600 for a new 357 you better test drive the stihl 361 too, just to see the likes and dislikes (you will find them like I did). I sold my used one for $375 and it only had the 3 hole muffler mod and was a screamer compared to other 361's I have ran.

John Mc

Those are two very nice saws. I suspect the 357 is significantly more saw than the 5100S, but I've never had the chance to use a 5100S. Be forewarned: the 357XP is heavier than the specs indicate (but still a nice, maneuverable saw). If you are at a Husky dealer looking, pick one up, and then pick up the 346XP or the 353. Both of the latter are spec'd at 11 lbs. When I picked them up at a show, and then a 357XP, it sure seemed like a LOT more than 1 lb. difference (of course, the 346 had a 16" bar, and the 357 had an 18 or 20" on it which would make a little difference).

Have you given up on the 346XP (the "New Edition" with the 50.1 cc engine)? It's probably a closer match to the 5100S you are considering. 346XP: 11.0#, 3.7 HP, 50.1 cc  Reportedly has a nice torque band. Seems like a popular saw, both here on the forum, and in my local area.

John Mc

Cut4fun

If you dont need dealer support. Have you tried Solo?  The 651 I tried cuts just like a 5100 IMO, now I was just test cutting. Then you have the 656 also, both in the weight and below your price range.

Somebody said something about Ace Hardware stores and saws. I bought a HD Stihl filter at a Ace Hardware store the other day. Stihl also sells in Gander Mountain stores too.

Cut4fun

Dont forget the Efco. Really good prices and $6.95 shipping on saws.   Plus , UPS Ground, take an extra 5% discount at checkout on orders over $300.00. Just trying to get you more saw for less money.

http://www.psep.biz/store/efco_chainsaws.htm

cheyenne

what ever you do don't go to a big box store. saws are like women find one that's as good to you as you are to her. i've been running a husky 359 etech 6 days a week for the last 3 yrs and never had a problem & you can run 20 or 24' bar. i run both. the decompression valve is great for us old folk. the only thing i find it won't cut is rocks maybe i need a diamond tooth chain. weighs in at 13 lbs full & great balance. the best advice is like everyone said find a good dealer you trust & do all your business with him chains,bar oil,service,odds & ends. because he will know it and it will pay off in the long run. happy cutting cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!