iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Hybrid Cars Pose Danger to the Blind?"

Started by TexasTimbers, August 27, 2008, 10:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Haven't tried to Google anything but the news reporter said this a.m. on the radio while I was coming back from town, that blind pedestrians cannot hear them coming. he did not cite anyone getting hit. He said manufacturers were considering adding some kind of "noise-maker" to them. I wonder if this is a legit concern or just someone sitting around with nothing left on their worry list. 

I can see how it could actually pose a problem. If a electric car is travelling at low speeds, thise tiny tires don't whine much.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dan_Shade

this has been a talking point on electric cars for a long time.  I think it's kind of bunk, a new car with a small engine moving at low speeds doesn't make much noise either.   at highway speeds, you'll hear the tires.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Yeah, but when they do away with the tires and start levitating the vehicles, the deaf people will be in dire straights.

Just something to put on the list to worry about later.

ADAMINMO

Really and truely ........ Blind people shouldn't really be driving should they?  Sorry ...... I just re-read it and it says blind pedestrians and not blind drivers.

A blonde woman person was riding with a friend and they stopped at a red light. When they did, the rider could hear the bell ringing while the light was red. When it turned green the bell stopped ringing. The rider asked the driver what the ringing bell was for when the light was red? The driver said " The ringing bells is so that the blind people know when the light is red!".  The rider asked " Why would a blind person be driving?"     
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

TexasTimbers

If the driver was deaf too she, that person would be in a pickle.

Sprucegum

There used to be a law  "All horseless carriages must honk their horn at intersections"

Also a little known fact: must horses wear blinders  ???  ::)

Ed_K

While directing traffic during town paving ops i had a hybrid come up behind me an never heard it  :o .
Ed K

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Cedarman on September 01, 2008, 07:15:48 AM
How do the blind avoid bicycles?

They just make their minds up they are never going to get on one again.  :D ::)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don_Papenburg

Not to worry Tom ,if the cars are levitating and they run over you , it should not hurt that much.  I think it is the point loads that the tires apply to the body that makes for the major bruises on the bodies.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!