iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Family recipe for Ice Cream

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, August 26, 2008, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm surprized how easy it is. While on our motorcycling vacation we stopped by my cousin's house and when I tasted their ice cream It took me back to summers long ago. Cranking our old manual mill for what seemed like hours unitl the sweet reward was finally ready!

1/2 gal half and half.  (Way back when it was cream and milk).
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt if you want.

Beat eggs and sugar and mix in with the milk.
On medium heat bring to 170 - 175 degrees, stirring ocasionally.
move to side to cool. I put mine in the sink with cool water in it.
When room temp add the vanilla.
Cool further in the fridge. It can keep in the fridge for 2 days.
churn according to your Ice Cream mill's directions.

Mmmmmm Good!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LeeB

That sounds pretty much about the same way I do it. Through in some peaches or berries and it even more gooder.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodbowl

We use a can of eagle brand condenced milk, 2 cans of pet evaporated milk, a few eggs, vanilla and fill up the churn with milk. Yummmm!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Weekend_Sawyer

This last batch I used 1 quart fat free half and half and a quart regular, cut the sugar back to 1 3/4 cups and did not notice a difference.

We are having a LOT of ice cream now so I thought I'd try and trim it back a little.

Peaches!, I'm gonna have to try that. Kinda late in the season now tho.

Jon

Radar67

Olen, we will be using that same recipe this weekend.  digin1
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

There was a time, in the 50's when Ice Milk was a craze.  Now the stores don't carry it.  Whatever happened to Ice Milk?

Weekend_Sawyer

Wasn't Ice milk like ice cream but made with whole milk?

I seem to remember it did not taste as good.  ;D

Tom

It was a cold, refreshing treat that was not supposed to be as fattening as Ice Cream.  It melted quicker, but I like it.  It was more crystaline than Ice cream and a little cheaper.   It was more of the kind of treat to us as Sorbet' is today.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well I made a batch of ice cream with all fat free half and half.
It's just ok, not the pleasure it should be and when I eat ice cream I don't want it to be just ok.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have been playing with my ice cream maker some.

I made a really strong cup of coffee and then reduced it to about 6 ounces by gently boiling it down. I added it to 2 quarts and churned it. It came out a little loose but tasted good. After a day in the freezer it was fine.
I cut up some strawberries and dumped them into the remaining 2 quarts and churned them. Right after churning it was real good but after it had been in the freezer a day the strawberry chunks turned into little frozen rocks! still good but not what I am looking for in my ice cream. Next time I'll try mashing them a bit.

Stay tuned for peach!

Jon

Texas Ranger

Blue Bell red velvet cake ice cream, um um um. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

Last time I made any I was part time milking for a neighbor, cream scraped from the top of the bulk tank and good old whole milk straight from the spout (probably not the healthiest  ;D), now all the local small dairies have sold out  :-\.  Never thought of adding any fruit to it so I think I'd better try a batch one of these days.

Clam77

Last time I made any was for my high school graduation years ago...  been a while..   :D

Anyway- we made just regular vanilla but we got it so cold it was almost solid in the canister- couldn't get the mixer thing out.   :D   Once it started to soften up a lil though...  mmmmmm!!
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!