iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaking of framing chisel ferrules...

Started by Brad_bb, August 26, 2008, 09:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Speaking of Ferrules, my uncle got some from a friend for my chisel handles.  They are Brass and they have an indentation in the side that was done by a press.  You make a groove in the handle top to slide the indented portion of the ferrule in.  Anyway he used up all his friend had and now they don't know where to get more.  Does anyone know of a source for the brass ferrules for these framing chisels?  I know you can make some from steel or brass pipe, but these were nice purpose made ones and we'd like some more.  I'd have to take a pic later to post.
Thanks, Brad
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

Thank you for the quick response.  The link to the Lee Valley ones are for non-socket chisels.  I need the ferrule that goes on the striking end of the chisel.  It sits about .1 inches below the handle end and is to prevent handle splitting from striking with a mallet. 
There was no picture on that british site, so I don't know what ferrule that is.

Tom

I think, if it were me, I would use a piece of copper pipe, as you had mentioned, heat it and drive it on the handle so that it would shrink when cooled.

I had another thought too.  It could be wrapped in nylon seine twine.  If you blind wrapped it (whipping) and painted it with polyurethane, It would look unique, you could make it your own colors and I bet it would work too.

I used to make fishing rods and the wrapping can be made to be quite decorative.  You could wrap the entire handle in a Diamond or Double Diamond design and whip both ends.  Nylon, when wrapped tight, applies a tremendous amount of pressure and would not only help to keep the wood from splintering, but would provide an excellent grippng surface as well. The finer the twine, the smoother the surface.  :)

Brad_bb

Here are the Ferrules that I am looking for.  My uncle made these new handles for my antique framing chisels.  He got the ferrules from a woodworker he knew, but they were the last ones he had and didn't know where he got them.

Radar67

A snug fitting piece of copper pipe, dimpled with a blunt nail would produce the same look.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawmilllawyer

That's what I was going to say! Sorry Brad BB I don't know a supply source.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!