iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help save our valley

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, August 25, 2008, 07:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

First of all I would like for you to know that I spoke with Jeff before coming here to ask for your help. I explained our problem and asked permission to post it here and he said to go ahead.

We have been informed that route planning for a proposed power line to provide coal generated electricity from western West Virginia to New York and New Jersey is underway.  I have been told by representatives of this project that the route for it will take the course of least resistance.  With your help we can provide resistance.

This is a 1.8 billion dollar project, 244 miles long that I do not think can be prevented – but I do think the routing can be influenced.  And this is where you could help.

This giant extension cord will have a huge impact upon the landscape and environment.  This is a mega power line, as big as they get.  One of the possible routes (#72) would run thru Conners Hollow and along the side of Cacapon Mountain in the Cacapon watershed and parallel the Washington Heritage Trail.  Some of the many animals I have seen there include: black bear, bald eagle, bobcat, porcupine, gray fox, wood turtles, ravens, coyotes, ruffed grouse and a peregrine falcon.  The terrain is rocky, rugged, steep and wooded.  The geology is karst – limestone formations with sinkholes, springs, ravines and underground streams.  This power line would leave a deep and permanent scar.

Our proposal is reasonable: Keep any new power lines on preexisting right of ways or open farm land and by all means avoid proposed route #72.

If you agree and feel you could support us, please visit the following  web site:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-path-powerline-save-largent-wv
This site has a petition to the power company asking them to use existing right of ways
instead of destroying our pristine valley.

More information is available at:
http://www.pathtransmission.com/

and :
http://www.pathtransmission.com/maps/default.asp
shows maps of the proposed paths. Our property lies on map #7. Route #72 would run right through my neighbor's, my famalies and my own properties.

Thank You Jeff for letting me post this here
and thank you forum members for you support.

Jon aka the Weekend Sawyer who aspires to be and Appilation American.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

breederman

Well.... that is interesting.  We have been fighting one proposed to go through our area headed to New York as well. They want eminent domain rights for a bunch of investors to build that one. Fight the good fight! 
Together we got this !

ely

good luck with your endeavors, these things are usually set in stone before everyone finds out about them.

Warbird

Hi Jon,

A couple of questions for you...  first, this appears to be driven by animal rights activists.  Are you motivated by this because it would have an impact on your property or your views from your property, or are you motivated by what would happen to the animals?  Or is it something else?

Also, whoever wrote the description for the petition should make a small change if it is not too late.  The following sentence reads:

"A powerline already exists and it is that corridor that should be used if a large powerline comes through these County."

Either change "these" to "this" or change "County" to "Counties".

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for your replys,

Ely, this one is, I beleive, not yet cast in stone. The good part is that the power companies held a series of community meetings to tell us about the PATH and to hear our views on why we would or would not want the lines run throught our areas. There are multiple possible routes and we are hoping that they will choose an existing path over ours. That is why I have asked the forum members for their help on the petition.

Warbird, There are all kinds of people against the PATH running through our area. Some of them are tree huggers, some are hunters, some just want to see the trees when they sit on their porch. I personaly am motivated because I do not want the power lines running through the middle, literaly, of my properties. I own 45 acres on my own and am a joint owner of 109 acres and path #72 would run through both of them. These properties are in the WV timber management program and we are working to have them listed as tree farms.

As for the typo I had not noticed until now, I'll pass it on.  :D

If you go to the petition site you can page down with out filling out the petition and read what some of the folks have written. My post there is # 592 some of my family and friends have posted after that.

Jon

Warbird

Thanks for the clarification, Jon.  I'll happily sign the petition.

Ron Wenrich

I don't quite understand how you think they can use the existing right-of-way.  Are they going to abandon the other line when this is up and running?  If so, then may be a viable alternative.

However, if they are going to keep the other line running, they will have to widen the existing right-of-way, and that will mean they will have to buy more right-of-way.  So, it isn't a cheaper alternative.  Afterall, they'll have to be mighty careful not to hit those hot lines while they would be constructing the other lines.

I have a 350 Kva line running through my property.  I have only lost the footprint of the tower, and I can't have large trees growing under the lines.  Shrubs are fine, as it keeps down a lot of the trees, and are very low maintenance.  That actually enhances wildlife value, it doesn't distract from it.  You also get more forest edge areas that are good for nesting birds and other wildlife.

The towers are also good roosting areas for several varieties of birds.  Red tail hawks seem to like them, and so do buzzards and crows.  

Do they look nice?  No, they don't.  When its snowing or drizzling, you can hear the lines crackle.  And, you have to give access to electric company employees.  So far for me, it happens about once every 10 years.  

As for your tree farm, it won't negate it from becoming one.  I know of several tree farms that have either an electric line or gas line right-of-way.  You can't grow trees, but you often have a better access to your woodlot.  I've even seen power lines go through a wilderness area.  

I'm thinking this is more of an aesthetic thing then it is a wildlife thing.  Its very similar to when the logging company comes in and cuts your neighbor's trees.  It ruins your green backdrop for a time, but eventually you won't notice the difference.   Of course, NIMBY comes to mind.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying to get them to use a different route.  If you can get, then good for you.  I just don't see where your argument is going to hold much water.  However, if there was a good Civil War battlefield in the area, then you might have something.    

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

Out our way we have two high power lines running parralel  one older than me  and then in the 70s they put up a bigger tower and lines while the other was on line then they came in and rebuilt the old towers to mimic the new towers. basicly they just added to their right of way by a small amount over having to buy a complete right of way.   I think it would be a cost savings to them. Not to mention a lot less land to clear . Then there is the helichopper that can inspect both lines at the same time , another cost savings after the line is operating.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Roxie

I signed.  I am a firm believer that such utility work should use existing corriders. 
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Thank you so much Roxy.

Yesterdays Morgan County Messinger said that the Morgan county govt. has voted not to approve any powerlines being run through the county. I don't know if the state can overide the decision but it all adds weight to having the lines not run through our little bit of heaven.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Todays Morgan Messinger reported that the powerlines will not come through Morgan County at all. They say the change was based on studies, public comments and input from government agencies.

All I can say is  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank you all for your support.
Jon

Thank You Sponsors!