iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am totally devastated!

Started by DanG, August 23, 2008, 01:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I have lost a very good friend to T.S. Fay.  Curtis King was killed by a downed power line last evening.  Curtis was a journeyman lineman with our electric co-op, and was a regular visitor at my mill.  He had helped me remove some large hazard trees on my place, and I helped him clear the lot for his new house last year.  He gave me some nice oak logs from that, and I gave him some pine lumber from my trees.  His Wife had lived with Linda for a while when she was having trouble at home, as a teenager.

Curtis was in his early Forties, and had 2 kids.  I'd guess his son is about 12 and his daughter about 10.

He and I worked numerous storm outages together when I was with the Phone Co, and he was one of the most professional sparkies around.  I can't believe this happened to him!  I can't believe he's gone.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Sorry for the grief, Dan.  I can feel it from here. We never know what the day brings, do we?

Mooseherder

That is terrible Dan. :(
I am Sorry for his family.  

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

Sorry to hear that.  :o
Hope it wasn't backfeed from a homeowner  :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CLL

Sorry about loss DanG, we will keep his family and you in our prayers.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Warbird

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dan.  I'll be praying for his family, you, and all of his friends.

beenthere

Our thoughts are with you Dan. Sure sorry to hear it.  :(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Sorry about the loss of your buddy and to his family. Shame to, that a good lineman will be missing, hard working bunch that keeps the current flowing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Haytrader

Terrible news. To lose a friend, a father, a husband or anyone at a young age is always hard to understand.
Tip a cold one in his honor.
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

What a shame :(

We tend to take those guys for granted and get irritated with them when our power is out.

lot of the stuff they do is hard, dangerous work.  When they are working long, long hours in horrible weather makes it so much more dangerous.  All so the rest of us can be more comfortable.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

TexasTimbers

That's sad news. Sorry to hear you lost your friend Dan. That's about the hardest age for those kids to lose their dad. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WildDog

Thats real bad news Dang, our hearts have to go out to 2 young kids loosing their dad at that age.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Lanier_Lurker

Roxie

He gave all, in the line of duty.  May God be with his family and friends. 

Say when

breederman

Together we got this !

Radar67

This is sad news indeed. We will keep his family in our prayers.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

This is such sad news.  He was doing his job to help others.  That makes him a hero in my book.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slabs

Saw that on Channel 7 news a few minutes ago but Curtis wasn't identified.  Our sympathy and prayers to the family and we grieve with them too.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

isawlogs

Dan , I am at a loss for words   :-\   :'( 

Ya know that if I was closer I would be there by the fire pit with ya ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

So sorry to hear of Curtis.My thoughts are with you and the family that he left behind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I'm so sorry to hear about this  :( :(  I've got several very good friends who are lineman and I always think about them when it storms
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Faron

I am sorry to hear that, Dan.  I believe I heard that on the radio this morning, unless more than one lineman was killed during this storm.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

BillG

Dad,

Sorry to hear about Curtis.  Don't think I met him, but I have heard you talk about him many times.  If there is anything I can do let me know.  If the family needs any assistance I will see what I can do on my end.

Now I know why you didn't answer your phone earlier.

I'll call you tomorrow.

Please let Curtis' family know that J, M and I are sharing in their grief.

Norm

I have the up most respect for the folks that risk their lives to keep the electricity on. They work hard in all weather always within reach of high voltage. Whenever they come to our place I always make it a point to go out and thank them.

Dan I'm sure sorry to hear of your friends accident. Please accept my prayers for the family in this hard time.

Daver

I am sorry to hear this Dan. For comfort in your sorrow, know that in the Bible God promises to resurrect those who have died back to this earth in the future, so most likely your friend will live again.  In a better world a Paradise earth. 
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SamB

From one old phoneman to another DanG, I feel your hurt. Any such accident hits home with those who've worked in the utility line service business. Many will be praying for those affected by this tragedy.

Tom Sawyer

Sad news Dan.  I am sorry to hear it.

Tom

Gary_C

Dan Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Curtis. It's always tough losing a friend, but your loss should be easier to accept knowing he gave his life helping others.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Carries-Mom

Sorry to hear about Curtis...our thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family

ely

i hate that i missed this earlier and sorry for your loss and the familys loss. a person in this line of work has to watch themselves and other very closely.
like was said earlier DAN if the family needs anything please relate it to us here.

kderby

The loss will stay with you.  So will the good memories.  I knew a good man of my age,  killed accidentally by a power-line in Oregon.  When I visit with his family, I remember the good even as I feel the loss.

It is a loss and I am sorry for yours Dan.

Kendall

SeeSaw

Dan I do not have the words.  I will pray for you and his family.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

DanG

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. :)  Learning of this was quite a shock to me, but I'm ok.  His family will be well taken care of.  His new house is next door to his wife's parents, and Curtis had taken steps to ensure their security if something like this should ever happen.  Curtis was very well known and popular.  He was a Deacon in a large church, and also President of the local saddle club, so there will be tons of support from the community.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Dan, I am sorry for your loss. It's good to know the community will be there for the famly.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

StorminN

Sorry to hear this Dan... it's always very tough.

Situations like these tend to put things into perspective... hang in there and cherish the times you got to spend together...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

brdmkr

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about you loosing a good friend.  Fay took a young boy in Cairo as well.  He was swimming in creek with a culvert and got trapped underwater by the heavy flow.  He used to swim on the Cairo swim team.  My son knew him well. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Thanks Mike.  I heard about the lad in Cairo, but the news folks neglected to mention that he was a competitive swimmer. ::)  Tell Eric that I'm thinking of him.  It is hard for a youngster to reconcile the loss of a friend, but then, it is hard for us old farts too.

The human body is a magnificent thing(at least, some of them are ;D ), but it is no match for hydraulic power, nor is it a match for 7200 volts of electrical power. :-\

Meadows Miller

DanG

Sorry to hear about the loss of your good Mate . God must have Needed Him .
My prayers go out to the family .

Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!