iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill fire in wi

Started by trapper, August 21, 2008, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

solidwoods

Today I asked my insurance agent it they offer any rebate for a sprinkler system.
No they don't.
They do offer 10% off if I get an ADT contract for fire/burglar but not sprinklers.
So I asked-  I'd have a system where if there is a fire, someone gets called and told jims place is on fire, then they call the Allardt fire department who will call there volunteers at home to come to the fire house.  Then they will bring the equipment that they have.  There are no fire hydrants here, and no close water sources so all I'll have is the water that they bring.

V.S.  a sprinkler is set off and immediately sprays water.

Gee which one is the better investment MR. Insurance agent?

Both concepts will have water damage.
But I'll choose the one with less burn time.
::)
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Tom

I think you have to realize that your are talking to a product of Institutionalism.  If it isn't in the book, it doesn't exist.  Thinking isn't allowed.  Accepting responsibility is a punishable offense.  :)

backwoods sawyer

I am a volunteer fire fighter and live across from the fire department. I do get a discount because of my proximity to the fire station. However, this fire was put out with a 20lb fire extinguisher. I keep two handy at all times. I also take my fire truck with me when the fire danger levels require me to have water on site. Again, I get a discount on my insurance for the added fire protection available.

Note: Woodmizer moved there hydraulic boxes away from the control panel on there newer models. (Mine was located on the tongue of the mill under the control panel) The entire hydraulic system had to be replaced due to the non-braded hose that Woodmizer used. It had a leak that sprayed on the hot contacts. When I rebuilt I used heavy duty wire braided lines to prevent this from happening again. 

What good is a sprinkler system if there is no water to supply it?
A municipal system is tested for volume and pressure and the fire hydrants have a rating that is attached to them. The caps are color-coded on some others just make notations on the maps that are sent out to the fire departments and the insurance companies have access to them as well. Even if you had a private system pressure and flow tested it could not be certified. Therefore, no one could be held accountable if it failed during a fire that caused loss of life.

The best thing you can due is take a walk around your place and look for fire hazards and then resolve them. You can also ask your local fire chief to do a walk thru with you. Make sure that you have plenty of large fire extinguishers handy as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bck

Dont underestimate the amount of water they can bring. I was on the local fire dept for years and even though we didnt use hydrants we always had enough water. Fire trucks designed for city life usually only have around 250 gallons of water whereas a country truck might have 1000 to 4000 gallons and most of the country probably comes with more than one truck.
  I remember watching the news when New Orleans was flooded and seeing a fire truck sitting there watching the fire without putting water on the fire because the hydrants were out and he didnt have water.  :o   The truck was sitting in water 18" deep. If he had a 6' piece of hose ( hard line not flexable hydrant hose ) on the truck he could of had water.
  Having several fire estinguishers on hand is a great idea.

thecfarm

I've seen them volunteer boys show up with a fold up tub,pool and 2-3 trucks do nothing but carry water to it none stop.I'm lucky,no hydrants out here in the woods,but I'm between 2 dry hydrants.There is one in a pond and another in a good sized stream that is really a frog pond.There are 2 places 2 trucks could carry water to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

The City of Tallahassee used to have a retired gasoline tanker to tote extra water in.  Don't know why more rural depts don't do that.  They could have an 8,000 gallon tanker for under $10k if they worked it right. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

backwoods sawyer

Our Volunteer fire department has three tenders for hauling water. They can dump into holding tanks, pump out of ponds and creeks, and pump water onto the fire. We also work with four surrounding volunteer departments to send tenders, drop tanks, brush rigs and manpower when needed. We also have several "improved" pump chances, a dry hydrant, and strategically placed 10,000 gallon holding tanks for water supplies.

Even with this or a city fire department, you are the first line of defense. I lost a dump truck to fire after a hydraulic hose blew and the fluid ignited. I used three 2 ½ lb fire extinguishers and needed one more, or a larger one to save the truck which was 50 feet from a fire hydrant. After the fire died down the fire department showed up and then left to go look for the plane that was down (my truck had flames higher then the tree tops and was inline with the airport) they came back later after not finding a downed plane and put out the smoldering embers.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

Around here, VFD's wouldn't stoop to a common carrier or truck as a Dept. vehicle.
Has to be new, super glitzy, considerable chrome, and the last one purchased was 9" longer than the Fire Station, so a $3Mil new station had to be built to accomodate.  :)

Gotta keep them happy and in those very expensive toys. Second best is not acceptable.
I'm not denying them the fun, just think there are conventional toys that would work well, as DanG noted so well.

Must be some good used equipment around sommers.... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: DanG on August 23, 2008, 01:17:20 PM
The City of Tallahassee used to have a retired gasoline tanker to tote extra water in.  Don't know why more rural depts don't do that.  They could have an 8,000 gallon tanker for under $10k if they worked it right. ::)

The local brigade runs a retired milk tanker for the same purpose. We are a small town / rural area so a lot of fires have no hydrant supply.

The problem is that if they load an engine up with massive water tanks it's slower getting to the fire. Sure they have plenty of water, but the fire has fully taken hold and the victims are dead. So the fire engine is despatched first, and a water tender follows, hopefuly it arrives about the same time the first appliance runs out of water.

They also carry extra hoses, portable gas powered pumps etc and will refill the tanker from a nearby stream or pond if needed. If there was a large fire they can also call in tankers from the dairy company who run a fleet of about 300 truck/trailer units.

Ingenuity is well thought of in NZ, no fire crew would give up due to too much water at a fire scene  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!