iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping brokers, Got a good one?

Started by Ironwood, August 20, 2008, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Thanks in advance,

Well, first let me say I have been generally pleased w/ the service recieved from my FreightQuote (FQ) folks,...........BUT, I am increasingly getting burned by their "subs" recatagorizing, not paying claims, or generally having very tight rules and timelines on reporting. I am curious if this is because they (FQ) negotiates such low margins for those carriers that they have a "no tolerance" approach as there is little or less margin in these goods.  I have been burned a couple of times and am in the process getting potentially burned yet again. I shipped "logs" ( three 8"+ dia. heavy ironwood base trunks, two with short branches of 2' or so) they want to class. them as "trees". The frieght will double. Goods are gone, deal is done, it will come out of my pocket. This is the difference between 375- and 700 bucks, I would have hired a driver and got them there a differing way (New England is small!!).

So, first in a era of "brokering services" does my belief in the small margin / less tolerance make sense?, AND does anyone have a multiple carrier broker that they would reccommend I try?  I am increasingly shipping goods and CANNOT afford this kind of "after the cards are laid" exposure.

Texas Timber? Anyone?

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

oakiemac

Reid,

I was using FQ for almost 3 years and shipped with them many times including to canada with out too many problems. I just started using unishippers and have found them about 25% cheaper! So I have shipped a few loads with them and no problems as yet although the jury is still out.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Oakiemac,

Thanks for the reply. Should I google Unishippers?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TexasTimbers

What and where will you ship mostly? Logs? Domestically? What would be the lengths. These are the biggest determinign factors on who I could use.

I use Central Transport for everything they will take, which generally is pallets up to 12' long and 2500 pounds or less. They are not brokers they are the company. For example, I just looked and I could send, or have picked up,  a 4' square x 52" high pallet to you, or  send a truck to pick up a table saw from you at your address for example for under $150 including surcharge. Everything.  I just pick up the phone and get a bill at the end of the month. Never any suprises. Best shipper I have ever used.

Now, if you want to ship big stuff internationally that would take a phone call. It's a minefield.

Got any great deals on a nice 18"ish bandsaw under 2500 lbs I can't live without? I can send a truck to pick it up. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ironwood

Nearly all domestic, really ALL over the country, and sometimes Canada. Dimensions vary greatly.

Thanks TT,  Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!