iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BMX in the Olympics

Started by CLL, August 20, 2008, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Are you kidding me!! Since when did we have BMX bike racing in the Olympics. What a sport, and the people doing it aren't kids. Its grown people to lazy to work, along with beach volleyball.
Too much work-not enough pay.

nas

put some lumberjack "sports" in the olympics 8) 8).  Real men doing real work that is actually usable in real life.  People running fast or swimming fast is boring ::).
  I don't run for no one.(except my wife smiley_horserider)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Mr Mom

I think it is the first year.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Jeff

Have you ever watched BMX?  Ot the beach Volleyball?  To say those are not sports and its participants not athletes for me, seems a bit narrow.   I've been watching the two women that comprise one of the USA Volleyball teams and what they do is about as athletic as it gets.  As for BMX, I know what strength it takes just to try and peddle my butt up a little incline a couple two roads over. Those folks deserve to be in there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The Olympics sure have changed from the first days when the sports were combatant or war oriented.  It used to be all about who could run fastest, throw farther, run farther, jump higher, and who could wrestle another to the ground.   I still favor those sports, but the general population has apparently taken a liking to things like volleyball, basketball and socker.

I've been thinking of writing a story about modern warfare, based on the Olympics being a combatant competition.  I'd have some main players, like General Patton, in a war room planning strategic movements and secondary players like Kerry, making tactical cries for help to get troops to ward off an invader.  I can see it now.

Kerry on a PRC10, :  General!!  They've moved a socker team in on us.  It's located by the Dam and we need some reinforcements.  They're going to Kick the daylights out of us.  No! The basketball team can't handle it.   I saw that they were outnumbered and pulled them back.  They are dribbling across the parking lot as we speak............

Patton on a bull horn.......... pointed at a PRC20:
You'll just have to do the best you can, Son.  all we have in reserves is a shot puter and two chess players.  I've got calls into the recruiting office for another tumbler.  If we can get him, maybe he can help.

:D

jeffreythree

The IOC is also trying to make women's Table Tennis sexier. :D
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

CLL

Its not that these people aren't good atheletes, they are. I just can't bring myself to ever foreseeing these events being anything related to being a olympic sport. I can see the original olympians, saying what in the H*** is that.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Mooseherder

This guy is good. ;D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tu-YAMiS5wA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param

LIL

:D MH

Good, he was fantastic  ;) We couldn't stop at one clip!!
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

mike_van

I wonder if they'll add 'pub darts' when the games go to London?  :D 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Cedarman

I think hatchet throwing would be a good sport also.  5 meter hatchet throw, 8 meter, 11 meter, 14 meter , 17 meter, 20 meter,   A good person could get 6 gold medals.  Same six in knife throwing.  Another 6 golds a possibility.  I hear they shoot arrows and bullets, but haven't seen that on prime time.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

Quotethey shoot arrows and bullets, but haven't seen that on prime time

You probably won't either.   I'm trying to picture the round table of editors and producers at NBC and who is making the decision as to what to show. :-\

Don_Papenburg

I can't see  Chicago getting the summer games .  With Daly wanting to ban all guns , will the skeet shoot have to commute to Norms farm in Iowa?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ianab

Well I actually saw the womens BMX final on on the TV today.

It was actually an exciting final, frantic pedalling, jumps, crashes.. excellent stuff.

Then they switched to the walking.. YAWN.

I kept expecting Mr T and his Snickers cannon to show up!!!

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

blueox

My daughter races motocross, and although she has a motor under her butt, I can tell you that she's an athlete!! An amazing one at that....Sometimes we critisize what we know we could never do ourselves! I personally couldn't play volleyball, ride BMX or do Gymnastics like the YouTube clip above, but hats off to all those who are staying active and allowing our minds to open up to other Olympic Sports!

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Thank You Sponsors!