iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas Ranger

Started by Woodwalker, August 16, 2008, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

Have you got any timber dying over your way? I've got 8-10 dead Pines around the place over here, no sign of Pine Bark Beatles. Also got one Hickory, a small Post Oak and a big Water Oak all dead figure it's the drought?
Couple of em near enough to the house that I'm gonna have to put a rope in them to throw em. Hate to go loosing the hardwood.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Texas Ranger

Yup, and on inspection the only thing I can come up with is, it is the end result of broken and torn root structure from Rita, it takes, generally, up to five years for all the damage to come to the surface, and the timing is about right.  Hardwoods seem to have been hit the hardest around here.  Our little hot dry spell was the finale blow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

T R we got the same situation over her in north La. Several oaks just up and died for no apparent reason, but all of them had been hit pretty hard by Rita. I had bunches of pine beetles the first year after Rita, haven't seen any this year. Just a few obvious lightening kills.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodwalker

I figured it was the drought, but couldn't figure out why the dying timber was spread around so.  My dad told me that back in the 50's there was a bad drought and whole stands of timber died off. What you say makes sense, still weakened root system and a drought getting em.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!