iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birdseye oak?

Started by Bibbyman, August 15, 2008, 05:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We were sawing some oak lumber today and came up with this pinoak log that was full of small pin knots, bird pecks, etc. It would have made some interesting lumber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

I saw a picture of some lumber like that a few weeks ago.  The guy had it advertized on a woodworking forum...think he was asking something like $12/bf. ??? ???  He was also calling it birdseye but I thought a better description would be birdspeck. :o 

I've sawn quite a bit of white oak that looked similar, but not seen it in red oak.  Now that we have moved to Arkansas I think I might come across more as we have papa, mama, and baby Woody Wookpecker (pileated or maybe even the Ivory Billed :o) in the neighborhood. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

We were lucky to get anything out of the log.  Usually the reason the birds peck on them is because they're full of bugs and the whole middle is rotten. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Yeah bird peck and maybe some bunch knots from epicormic branches to.

I have seen birdseye figure in other species besides sugar maple though. You can find it in yellow birch and in white ash.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!