iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dogberry Jam

Started by Jeff, August 14, 2008, 06:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Has anyone here every made or tried Dogberry Jam?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Is it something edible or something you have to wipe off your shoe  ???. Never heard of dogberry before.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

breederman

Never made any but steped in some last night and got it between my toes ;D
Together we got this !

Jeff

I knew full well that I was goona git that.... :D

Radar67

You sure you don't mean dingleberry?  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Reddog

Had to go digging for that one.

Eastern Prickly Gooseberry, Pasture Gooseberry, Dog Berry, Ribes cynosbati.

I have ate them as a kid, but never had jam made from them. I don't remember there being much flavor. :-\

Jeff

Ya didnt dig deep enough yet there Reddog  :)

Dogberry I am referring to is made from Mountain Ash Berries and Crab apples.

SwampDonkey

Might as well toss some sumac berries into it as well eh? ;D  People used to make a drink (shrub-It's in Webster's  ;) ) from the staghorn sumac berries, like with currants.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I think we have a European mountain ash around my old orchard, the bark is silver gray on these ones and I have cut some rather large ones out. The ones out in the woods have a dark reddish-brown bark on them. What are they like up your way Jeff?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I'll take a photo of mine today.

Corley5

I wasn't aware mt. ash berries were edible.  What do they taste like ???  chicken  ???  :D ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on August 14, 2008, 10:45:55 PM
Ya didnt dig deep enough yet there Reddog  :)

Dogberry I am referring to is made from Mountain Ash Berries and Crab apples.

Well I can't help it when you are making up your own names.   :D

Jeff

Try searching mountain ash with the word edible. You will come across dogberry repeatedly. :)

Jeff

Well, its looking more and more like I'm going to have to be the Guinea Pig. Long as the birds don't get them before the first frost, I'll give it a try.

Reddog

Interesting, never heard mountain ash called that.  :)

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Yes they are loaded this year. The older folks probably, great grandparents, made shrubs from all kinds of wild berries. Didn't have all these soft drinks way back then to go buy off store shelves, ya made your own. It was something folks looked forward to. A lot of the times a shrub drink had a shot of brandy in it to. ;)

Don P

I've never heard it called a guinea pig either,  a rose by any other name.
The Mt Ash up on the highlands are loaded again this year, I'm curious if you survive  ;D.

The first lady that made us the sumac berry drink called it ruse-aid, so that's what I've always called it. Never thought about adding anything medicinal to it, sounds like a good way to really get the quickstep  :D.

SwampDonkey

Here in the back yard, mine are European. The way to tell is that buds are real hairy on the top portion of the bud and not gummy. The native species, of which there are two are the American and the Showy. Now Jeff's looks like my yard trees. In order to be native mountain-ash, the buds have to be gummy.  You got gum Jeff? ;)

Now here...I have a huge...I mean huge....at least I ain't seen nothing like it around here...until tonight... American mountain-ash. It is 12 in dbh and 40 feet tall. The softwood trees, the one closest (middle) is a 11.5 inch white spruce and the one behind (right) is a 13 inch balsam fir. They are 60 feet tall. The smell of a broken twig smells like almond off the ash. It is growing about 400 yards from my woodlot on a neighbor along the edge of a wetland and rich soil.

I see some bear claw marks on the old girl, look below my hand. ;D

Almost looks like a butternut crown.  ;)

Around 12" long

Jeff

I've picked the Berries tonight and have them cleaned. The experiment is about to commence. :)

SwampDonkey

The robins are fleecing the mountain ash berries here on the fence rows and orchards. One good sized ash will have about 50 of the feathers critters. This and spring time sure are good times to take counts. :D

Jeff

We got a real hard frost and the berries changed in taste overnight. You couldn't bear to touch one to your tongue before and now they have lost that bitter taste, In fact, they seem to be much more palatable then the crab apples I use to may jelly. I don't think I woyld want to eat either fruit raw.

SwampDonkey

Jeff, they are actually related to apples, so I bet they will work out delicious.  :)

Eating raw crab apples is like eating a mouthful of raw black cherries. :D

beenthere

I know for a fact, that Jeff makes a down-right mean delicious, and tasty High Bush Cranberry jam. And I thank him for that.  8) 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!