iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Eggs

Started by kderby, August 14, 2008, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat-Face Timber

The wife put up a batch of Pickled Eggs last weekend.
It is hard waiting for the 7 to 10 days for them to "mature"

mmmmmm

The wife might be sorry she did though..

8) 8)
SEMPER FI

r.man

As to the original theme pickled eggs are a very good seller for a local woman who does canning as a side income. She cans thousands of eggs, buys them wholesale hard boiled and shelled in five gallon pails. As to old threads, I mostly don't notice the date until I see an old favorite post who is no longer with us. This one is good with Tom and Brother Noble back to back.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isawlogs

Having a few girls here that give a few eggs a day I get to do some pickled. they don't last long when my son comes around.   digin1  I put 2/3 vinagure salt alittle sugar, steak spice  garlic and then top off with water.
Let that sit in the fridge  for a few days , then it can be left on the counter or shelf till the son finds it. Then its gone  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Pickled eggs and beer, breakfast of champions 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

This thread has me wanting some pickled eggs. They have them at the truck stop out in Western Maryland on our way to the tree farms in WV.

I am going to pick up the ingredients to try Roxy's recipe tonight.
Wish me luck!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well that was easy  :D

I added garlic cloves, onions and pepper corns to Roxie's recipe.
Kinda funny that one egg looks like it's saying, "You aint gonna eat me, are you?"

isawlogs

Those look real appetising, personnaly, I would hold back on the onions as they don't agry with my system, other then that alls good with this.  :)  That egg to me looks like it has a happy face, he likes it in there....  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Roxie

Your eggs look wonderful, and I think the onions, garlic and peppercorn will really give them a kick!  Now, we just wait for the taste test.   :)
Say when

beenthere

Did you put smiley faces on all of them?  or just a few as shown?    ;D

They do look good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Mmm, sounds good with the onions and pepper corns. I use a lot onions in cook'n. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris Burchfield

Never ate one.  Sound like you'd have to eat them also in self defense, if'n your under the same roof.  No pickled pigs feet either.  Ate them fried once with my father.  Along with turnip greens and cornbread.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Weekend_Sawyer

The face was unintentional. I was surprised to see it as i walked by.

Mooseherder

I want to make a batch of Pickled eggs and a batch of pickled vegetables and took inventory of my spices only to find I need a couple other things not inda inventory, wouldn't you know it. :D

For the eggs, do you have to go thru the canning process or is pouring the hot liquid over them good enough?

Weekend_Sawyer

I don't know. I put mine up hot and they did pull a vacuum but they weren't properly canned. I do not intend to keep these as they are going to a pickled egg party at work week after next. 3 of us that like to can picked 3 separate recipes and we will bring them in 2 weeks. Wish us luck!

Jon

isawlogs

I never put any hot liquids on my eggs, I put the vinegar in cold and fill wiff cold spring water(outa da tap) add the spices, I rarely do the same ingredients twice. Put it the fridge a day or two and then eat up.

Marcel

saltydog

My grandmas recipe was always pour vinegar on hot. equal parts vinegar and sugar enough to cover eggs.I cut back on the sugar alot and add fresh cut onions or leeks hot peppers red sweet peppers and Tabasco sauce,let sit 2 weeks before eating.If you add vinegar hot it will be pickled to the yolk in 2 weeks.Her original recipe was eggs and beets they were real good.Maybe thats why she used so much sugar.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Chuck White

We use quite a few sliced Jalepeno peppers here and when the jar (small) gets empty, I usually boil up a half dozen eggs and put 5 in the jar with the Jalepeno juice and seal it and place it in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks before I indulge!

I eat the 6th egg, fresh boiled!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

Well the eggs came out really good. I ate 6 eggs on Monday, three of mine two from a buddy of mine who made his with jalapeno peppers and peppecrcinis. Very good but needed a little more sugar. And one that seemed like it was pure vinegar and nothing else that one made my face cave in!

LeeB

So, did you guys hang out together after that, or did you go home and inflict the aftermath on loved ones?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well lets just say that we have been invited not to bring them in again.  :D

Paul_H

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 26, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
The face was unintentional. I was surprised to see it as i walked by.

I watched Tom Hanks in Castaway last night and was thinking "Wilson,come baaack" when I saw your pickled eggs
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DDW_OR

will be making pickled eggs next week

I need good recipes

i like hot bread and butter pickles.
"let the machines do the work"

stavebuyer

There was a fruit stand just down the road from my house as a teen. They used to put the eggs in the big jars the pickled hot sausage came in. Sat on the counter until gone. Maybe more than one cycle if the eggs were outselling the sausages.
Marlboro's were $2.00 a carton and unwrapped hams hung from the rafters. Still here to tell the tale  :laugh:. Kind of think all the stuff on the ingredient list that you can't pronounce might be more dangerous.

Chuck White

Soon as the price of eggs drops a little more, I'll be getting some pickled for the sugaring season.

It takes four dozen grade A Large to fill a gallon jug!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gere Flewelling

Just came across this old post. Felt compelled to respond to it as I am a lover of pickled eggs and have been all my life.  I used to buy jars of them for break time at work. Helped keep everyone punctual when it came to getting back to work.  I have never made any but have a local grocery store that sells them in quart and gallon jars. Best ones I ever had were from an Amish roadside stand down in Strausburgh PA the last time we were down there. I think they were made with beets like Roxie's recipe earlier in this post.  They must have had some sugar in them as well. I have  never had any to compare with those Amish ones since. Going to have to try Roxie's recipe sometime. Thanks Roxie for posting so long ago.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Thank You Sponsors!