iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Eggs

Started by kderby, August 14, 2008, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

150 pullets will make a lot of small eggs.  I am thinking a pickled egg recipe is in order.  Any other egg consumtion ideas are welcome as well.  When the girls get up to speed, Ill be buried unless I start finding marketable ideas.

Kderby

Dave Shepard

My grandfather used to make them once in a while. He sent a huge jar of them to a pig roast my father and I went to about ten years ago. Cousin "Bubba" got into them real bad. We were politely asked not bring them again. Cousin "Bubba" was asked something entirely different, and not very politely, I might add. :D

Don't know what his recipe was. Is it any more complicated than putting them in vinegar?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

Boiled eggs, vinegar, salt, pepper, sliced onion, few cloves garlic, couple peppers, a little cayenne pepper, and some Tony Sachere's. Let em set for a couple weeks if you can stay oput of them that long. Plan on not having too many freinds for a few days after you eat them as mentioned in the last post.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

When I was around 6 years old my brother and I stayed away from home at a neighbor's while the fall harvest was on. AH, to be young again. But, anyway the lady of the house had two hen houses full of chickens and she often made pickled eggs, she sold a lot of fresh eggs too, but her top shelf in the old farm house kitchen was stocked full of 1 gallon jars of homemade pickled eggs. I do remember eating one on occasion. I can't remember ever having one since. No one in the family made them. I think you can buy those one gallon jars of eggs over in some Maine grocery stores though. My uncle buys some every once in awhile. My stomach isn't like it used to be so I don't dare eat them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

I love pickled eggs.  'Round here they're always pickled with beets.  I just made two dozen a few months ago.  Put the eggs in a large jar, pour on a couple cans of cut beets.  Put in some salt, sugar (I just put a little in, and will experiment with each batch), and then put in enough vinegar to cover eggs.  You can also "cut" the vinegar with some water if you don't want as much bite, or in my case you just didn't have enough vinegar on hand to do the job  :D   I can't stay out of them, but they're best if you leave them alone in the fridge for a week or two   :)

Also, if I happen to have a can of hot pepper rings or pepperoncini's in the fridge, I'll boil up a few eggs and drop them in the pickling juice when there's room.  Mmmmm  ;D

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,I can remember most small stores around here had those jars full of eggs on the counter.I never heard of buying a whole gallon,but can't see why you couldn't.Seems like there was some sort of sausage cut up close by too in jars.I have not noticed any in a long time,BUT they might be right there still.Seems like you bought a six pack of beer and had to have an egg or sausage to go with it.I have never had the eggs.I have had the sausage before.It's OK,but nothing I would want a steady diet of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on August 15, 2008, 07:38:41 AM
...........Seeems like there was some sort of sausage cut up close by too in jars.I..........

That "sausage" may have been pickled pigs feet, or pork hocks.  Used to see both on the bar in small town taverns.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Amish Pickled Eggs & Beets:

Hardboil & Peel 2 dozen eggs....while the eggs are boiling

put six medium size cans of plain beets (undrained) in large pan and add 2 cups sugar and 2 cups cider vinegar to beets.  Heat in pan until sugar melts and beet juice is steaming.  Remove pan from heat, and while eggs are still warm, put into jar or bowl, and cover with hot beets and juice. 

Ready to eat in 24 hours! 
Say when

thecfarm

beenthere,not around here you would see pig feet or hocks.You can buy them,but like grits,you have to look for them.I know it was sausage,just don't know the kind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ohsoloco

It's most likely pickled bologna, it usually says something like "Hot Bologna" on the label.  They're pieces of bologna 4-5 inches long split in half put in a brine w/lots of crushed red pepper.

beenthere

That could be it. Also could be kielbasa (polish sausage) too.
This site has
Pickled polish sausage
Pickled bologna
Pickled chicken gizzards
Picled eggs

etc.

www.lakesidefood.com

Anything goes, with a mug of beer and good company.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: Roxie on August 15, 2008, 12:09:22 PM
Amish Pickled Eggs & Beets:

Hardboil & Peel 2 dozen eggs....while the eggs are boiling

Them Amish are tough folks. I'd never try to peel eggs while they were boiling.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That would be a travesty to find balogna (buloni :D ), pickled down here, and Kielbasa is considered an import.

Pickled sausage is some of Momma's finest, highly seasoned and smoked, pork sausage put in a bath of colored vinegar and spices.  If someone wants pickled, sausage, eggs, pig feet or hocks, the place that you used to look for them was a Pool Hall or country store, especially one visited by hunters.  You probably should carry a kerchief or roll of paper towels too.  You'll need something to wipe the sweat off of your brow.  :D :D

SwampDonkey

I think pickled pig's feet are common in store shelves in northern Maine. My grandmother was from near Houlton, Maine and she loved them and I know she bought them state side. I did see some small jars of pickled eggs today at a seasonal vegetable stand. They had some nice pickles there to that were tempting. But, I was reminded that mom is making some and my uncle made a whole bunch. I gotta spend a few weeks up there this fall and pig out on pickles.  ;D :D :D :D

I to like pickles that use vinegar and not so much sugar. I want to taste the vinegar.  And so I got some pickles, and I also got some 3 bean salad. Had a plate of pickles, cheese and ham cold cut for supper. Oh and some fresh wild blueberries smothered in Yogart, topped with crushed pecans.  Lord love us.  :D :D :D 8) 8)

I even had a craving for some sliced dill pickles after that, with a dash of hot chilli pepper and some dry dill weed added.

I was disappointed in what they call chilli pepper around here in stores and I tossed that garbage and got some good hot ground chilli pepper. Not that dang stuff made from paprika, cumin and garlic. If i wanted that, I would go buy just that.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I have seen pig feet on grocery stores shelves, here in Maine,but have NEVER seen them on the counter like pickled eggs or sasauge.We was talking about small stores counters not shelves.

SwampDonkey

Tom

Might be a cultural thing.  You can buy a pickled pigs foot in a pool hall here.  They wrap it in a bit of wax paper. :)  Well, you could when there were still some southerners around  :D :D

Bro. Noble

Waxed paper ??? ??? ???

Is that something you guys used in the 'good old days'? 

I do seem to remember that come to think of it.  I wonder how kids slick up their sliding boards now? :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

semologger

I was up at the inlaws last weekend and she had made pickled peaches. It was not for me and the old lady. Beenthere i would of had to have alot of beer for this one. And they thought i was crazy for liking Sushi.

sawguy21

Why would they ruin a perfectly good peach ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

OH Wow!!   Pickled peaches!   I love them.  About 1/2 of a peach is good to compliment a meal.  I don't need any more than that.  Cloves!   Yep, they are full of cloves.   Open your sinus' right up.

Boy are you lucky to have someone who knows how to make pickled peaches. Sunday dinner wouldn't be the same without them or watermelon rind preserves.  :)

SwampDonkey

Only thing I like cloves in is canned/preserved crab apples, maybe plums to. That was a popular desert like apple sauce in these parts.

JackSchaffer

My grandmother used to pickle watermelon rinds.  She said she started doing it during the depression, and just kept on going.  By the time I came around, I think she and I were the only 2 that would eat them.  Can't say I blame anyone else for not trying them!
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

SwampDonkey

Jack, those are good to with some cloves. My aunt down in Mass. made them, I forgot about those. Yumm. She was married to dad's uncle who lived to be over 100. Musta been the pickled watermelon rinds. :)

JackSchaffer

There might be something to that.  My grandmother lived to 99.  I think it might be worth resurrecting an old favorite!
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

ely

i have seen those eggs and sausages in the local establishments around the state, but i thought they were only there to talk about, never did notice anyone eating them.
my uncle used to sit and eat a whole jar of pickeled pigs feet with his family,,,,,,,, until that one day and i don't think any of them have touched them since :D

Tom

Quotemy uncle used to sit and eat a whole jar of pickeled pigs feet with his family,,,,,,,, until that one day and i don't think any of them have touched them since

What happened that one day?  ??? 

Learaway

water,vinegar,cayenne pepper, salt
quail eggs are good,if you can taste the brine of these.its tasty
send me some if you have plenty
neal

Tim L

Man I have lead a sheltered life !
Do the best you can and don't look back

olyman

Quote from: ely on September 26, 2008, 04:38:51 PM
i have seen those eggs and sausages in the local establishments around the state, but i thought they were only there to talk about, never did notice anyone eating them.
my uncle used to sit and eat a whole jar of pickeled pigs feet with his family,,,,,,,, until that one day and i don't think any of them have touched them since :D
[/quote   DO TELL!!!!!!

olyman

Quote from: JackSchaffer on September 24, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
My grandmother used to pickle watermelon rinds.  She said she started doing it during the depression, and just kept on going.  By the time I came around, I think she and I were the only 2 that would eat them.  Can't say I blame anyone else for not trying them!

RECIPE?????? ;D ;D   and--pickled eggs and pickled beets---yeeeee hah!!!!!

ohsoloco

My dad just made some pickled eggs with beets that we grew and canned this year.  They're so much better than using store bought beets  :)  You can even see the difference in the color, those eggs are nice and PURPLE  ;D

submarinesailor

My hunting/sawmill buddy makes pickled beet eggs and we keep asking the questions(s).  How long can you store them in the refrigerator?  How about out of the refrigerator?  I thought that pickling was a preservative.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Pickled eggs I seen were always in a 1 gallon jar of brime sitting on the shelf. I think once opened they had to be used up and not sitting there for months on end.

In the old times they used water glass method to store eggs in a crock. The eggs where not cooked. No fridges back then and hens usually don't lay much in cold winter. My grandmother made a lot back then, not in my day though.

beenthere

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 18, 2008, 07:47:41 AM
My hunting/sawmill buddy makes pickled beet eggs and we keep asking the questions(s).  How long can you store them in the refrigerator?  How about out of the refrigerator?  I thought that pickling was a preservative.

Bruce

As long as it takes for them to go bad.....

(but keep an eye on vital signs after someone else eats them....)  :)
south central Wisconsin

Paul_H

Staggering,slurred speech,severe vomiting?  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Nahhh!
More like da next level...
No pulse, turning blue, stiff, etc.  :)

If 'ees like any of those, don't eat da eggs.
south central Wisconsin

ohsoloco

We always keep our pickled eggs in the fridge, or on the back porch this time of year if there's no room in the fridge.  I don't recall pickled eggs ever lasting long enough to go bad  ;D 

I do recall years ago finding some pickled eggs in the fridge at the club my brothers and friends are members of, and they were pretty old....a little on the grey side  :-\  They still went nicely with malt beverage  :D

SwampDonkey

That could have been simply from over cooking the eggs to. ;)

ohsoloco

I don't think so, the beets didn't look real purple either  ::)  Actually, after we finished that first batch a new batch was made.  Then (I guess to save money) the guy that made them would just hard boil more eggs and drop them in the same brine, and the beets quickly lost their punch...so when a batch was getting low we'd just finish them off and dump the juice and beets out  ;D

Cat-Face Timber

New here, so not sure how you like bringing back old threads..

Pickled Eggs are awesome.

I put peeled eggs in a pickle jar with the pickle juice, add some Garlic and some pepper flakes.
Let them sit for a day or two..

Any other recepies out there?

SEMPER FI

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I eat pickled peaches about twice a week.
But when I make my pickled eggs, I like to poke a few holes in them with a tooth pick to let the juice get into the egg real good. Emmmmmm!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: Cat-Face Timber on March 21, 2013, 07:48:01 PM
New here, so not sure how you like bringing back old threads..

That is never a problem, and actually considered a good thing to see new members reading older topics and making them new again.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Pickled peaches?

What's that all about? Pickled in vinegar?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Pickled eggs and pigs feet, with cheese and crackers, and a beer.  Snack for Saturday after the ball game.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Cat-Face Timber

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 22, 2013, 11:43:19 AM
Pickled peaches?

What's that all about? Pickled in vinegar?

You can just throw some eggs in a jar of pickles and go from there, or there are lots of recepies, that greaty imporove the flavor.
One thing that does happen is WOW do they create alot of GAS...

SEMPER FI

thecfarm

Nice to read about some past members too.  We can get this old thread up on top again.
Poston,not into pickled eggs,but if I was a making,I would be poking some holes in them too. Good idea.

SwampDonkey

Well, I stayed at a place when I was young during harvest time, when I was 5 or 6. The lady of the house raised chickens and sold eggs. The top shelf of the cupboard must had at least 10, maybe more, 1 gallon jars of pickled eggs. That's the only time in my entire life I ever remember eating one. We never had any at home. When I was 7, it was time to work in the harvest season picking taters. Had a short youth. :D

Roxie

You don't need to poke holes in the eggs to get the purple all the way to the yellow yokes.  Heat the pickling juice and simmer, peel the eggs while they are still warm.  Put the eggs in a jar and pour the warmed juice on top.  Ta Dah! 
Say when

Cat-Face Timber

The wife put up a batch of Pickled Eggs last weekend.
It is hard waiting for the 7 to 10 days for them to "mature"

mmmmmm

The wife might be sorry she did though..

8) 8)
SEMPER FI

r.man

As to the original theme pickled eggs are a very good seller for a local woman who does canning as a side income. She cans thousands of eggs, buys them wholesale hard boiled and shelled in five gallon pails. As to old threads, I mostly don't notice the date until I see an old favorite post who is no longer with us. This one is good with Tom and Brother Noble back to back.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isawlogs

Having a few girls here that give a few eggs a day I get to do some pickled. they don't last long when my son comes around.   digin1  I put 2/3 vinagure salt alittle sugar, steak spice  garlic and then top off with water.
Let that sit in the fridge  for a few days , then it can be left on the counter or shelf till the son finds it. Then its gone  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Pickled eggs and beer, breakfast of champions 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

This thread has me wanting some pickled eggs. They have them at the truck stop out in Western Maryland on our way to the tree farms in WV.

I am going to pick up the ingredients to try Roxy's recipe tonight.
Wish me luck!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well that was easy  :D

I added garlic cloves, onions and pepper corns to Roxie's recipe.
Kinda funny that one egg looks like it's saying, "You aint gonna eat me, are you?"

isawlogs

Those look real appetising, personnaly, I would hold back on the onions as they don't agry with my system, other then that alls good with this.  :)  That egg to me looks like it has a happy face, he likes it in there....  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Roxie

Your eggs look wonderful, and I think the onions, garlic and peppercorn will really give them a kick!  Now, we just wait for the taste test.   :)
Say when

beenthere

Did you put smiley faces on all of them?  or just a few as shown?    ;D

They do look good.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Mmm, sounds good with the onions and pepper corns. I use a lot onions in cook'n. :)

Chris Burchfield

Never ate one.  Sound like you'd have to eat them also in self defense, if'n your under the same roof.  No pickled pigs feet either.  Ate them fried once with my father.  Along with turnip greens and cornbread.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Weekend_Sawyer

The face was unintentional. I was surprised to see it as i walked by.

Mooseherder

I want to make a batch of Pickled eggs and a batch of pickled vegetables and took inventory of my spices only to find I need a couple other things not inda inventory, wouldn't you know it. :D

For the eggs, do you have to go thru the canning process or is pouring the hot liquid over them good enough?

Weekend_Sawyer

I don't know. I put mine up hot and they did pull a vacuum but they weren't properly canned. I do not intend to keep these as they are going to a pickled egg party at work week after next. 3 of us that like to can picked 3 separate recipes and we will bring them in 2 weeks. Wish us luck!

Jon

isawlogs

I never put any hot liquids on my eggs, I put the vinegar in cold and fill wiff cold spring water(outa da tap) add the spices, I rarely do the same ingredients twice. Put it the fridge a day or two and then eat up.

Marcel

saltydog

My grandmas recipe was always pour vinegar on hot. equal parts vinegar and sugar enough to cover eggs.I cut back on the sugar alot and add fresh cut onions or leeks hot peppers red sweet peppers and Tabasco sauce,let sit 2 weeks before eating.If you add vinegar hot it will be pickled to the yolk in 2 weeks.Her original recipe was eggs and beets they were real good.Maybe thats why she used so much sugar.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Chuck White

We use quite a few sliced Jalepeno peppers here and when the jar (small) gets empty, I usually boil up a half dozen eggs and put 5 in the jar with the Jalepeno juice and seal it and place it in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks before I indulge!

I eat the 6th egg, fresh boiled!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

Well the eggs came out really good. I ate 6 eggs on Monday, three of mine two from a buddy of mine who made his with jalapeno peppers and peppecrcinis. Very good but needed a little more sugar. And one that seemed like it was pure vinegar and nothing else that one made my face cave in!

LeeB

So, did you guys hang out together after that, or did you go home and inflict the aftermath on loved ones?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well lets just say that we have been invited not to bring them in again.  :D

Paul_H

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 26, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
The face was unintentional. I was surprised to see it as i walked by.

I watched Tom Hanks in Castaway last night and was thinking "Wilson,come baaack" when I saw your pickled eggs
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DDW_OR

will be making pickled eggs next week

I need good recipes

i like hot bread and butter pickles.
"let the machines do the work"

stavebuyer

There was a fruit stand just down the road from my house as a teen. They used to put the eggs in the big jars the pickled hot sausage came in. Sat on the counter until gone. Maybe more than one cycle if the eggs were outselling the sausages.
Marlboro's were $2.00 a carton and unwrapped hams hung from the rafters. Still here to tell the tale  :laugh:. Kind of think all the stuff on the ingredient list that you can't pronounce might be more dangerous.

Chuck White

Soon as the price of eggs drops a little more, I'll be getting some pickled for the sugaring season.

It takes four dozen grade A Large to fill a gallon jug!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gere Flewelling

Just came across this old post. Felt compelled to respond to it as I am a lover of pickled eggs and have been all my life.  I used to buy jars of them for break time at work. Helped keep everyone punctual when it came to getting back to work.  I have never made any but have a local grocery store that sells them in quart and gallon jars. Best ones I ever had were from an Amish roadside stand down in Strausburgh PA the last time we were down there. I think they were made with beets like Roxie's recipe earlier in this post.  They must have had some sugar in them as well. I have  never had any to compare with those Amish ones since. Going to have to try Roxie's recipe sometime. Thanks Roxie for posting so long ago.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

gspren

I somehow never saw this thread before but I do like pickled eggs. I live near enough to Roxie that her recipe sounds about what I grew up with. My Grandma made them and my Mom and now my wife and they are all a little different but close enough. Lots of people around here call them "Red beet eggs".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!