iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Eggs

Started by kderby, August 14, 2008, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

150 pullets will make a lot of small eggs.  I am thinking a pickled egg recipe is in order.  Any other egg consumtion ideas are welcome as well.  When the girls get up to speed, Ill be buried unless I start finding marketable ideas.

Kderby

Dave Shepard

My grandfather used to make them once in a while. He sent a huge jar of them to a pig roast my father and I went to about ten years ago. Cousin "Bubba" got into them real bad. We were politely asked not bring them again. Cousin "Bubba" was asked something entirely different, and not very politely, I might add. :D

Don't know what his recipe was. Is it any more complicated than putting them in vinegar?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

Boiled eggs, vinegar, salt, pepper, sliced onion, few cloves garlic, couple peppers, a little cayenne pepper, and some Tony Sachere's. Let em set for a couple weeks if you can stay oput of them that long. Plan on not having too many freinds for a few days after you eat them as mentioned in the last post.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

When I was around 6 years old my brother and I stayed away from home at a neighbor's while the fall harvest was on. AH, to be young again. But, anyway the lady of the house had two hen houses full of chickens and she often made pickled eggs, she sold a lot of fresh eggs too, but her top shelf in the old farm house kitchen was stocked full of 1 gallon jars of homemade pickled eggs. I do remember eating one on occasion. I can't remember ever having one since. No one in the family made them. I think you can buy those one gallon jars of eggs over in some Maine grocery stores though. My uncle buys some every once in awhile. My stomach isn't like it used to be so I don't dare eat them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

I love pickled eggs.  'Round here they're always pickled with beets.  I just made two dozen a few months ago.  Put the eggs in a large jar, pour on a couple cans of cut beets.  Put in some salt, sugar (I just put a little in, and will experiment with each batch), and then put in enough vinegar to cover eggs.  You can also "cut" the vinegar with some water if you don't want as much bite, or in my case you just didn't have enough vinegar on hand to do the job  :D   I can't stay out of them, but they're best if you leave them alone in the fridge for a week or two   :)

Also, if I happen to have a can of hot pepper rings or pepperoncini's in the fridge, I'll boil up a few eggs and drop them in the pickling juice when there's room.  Mmmmm  ;D

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,I can remember most small stores around here had those jars full of eggs on the counter.I never heard of buying a whole gallon,but can't see why you couldn't.Seems like there was some sort of sausage cut up close by too in jars.I have not noticed any in a long time,BUT they might be right there still.Seems like you bought a six pack of beer and had to have an egg or sausage to go with it.I have never had the eggs.I have had the sausage before.It's OK,but nothing I would want a steady diet of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on August 15, 2008, 07:38:41 AM
...........Seeems like there was some sort of sausage cut up close by too in jars.I..........

That "sausage" may have been pickled pigs feet, or pork hocks.  Used to see both on the bar in small town taverns.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Amish Pickled Eggs & Beets:

Hardboil & Peel 2 dozen eggs....while the eggs are boiling

put six medium size cans of plain beets (undrained) in large pan and add 2 cups sugar and 2 cups cider vinegar to beets.  Heat in pan until sugar melts and beet juice is steaming.  Remove pan from heat, and while eggs are still warm, put into jar or bowl, and cover with hot beets and juice. 

Ready to eat in 24 hours! 
Say when

thecfarm

beenthere,not around here you would see pig feet or hocks.You can buy them,but like grits,you have to look for them.I know it was sausage,just don't know the kind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ohsoloco

It's most likely pickled bologna, it usually says something like "Hot Bologna" on the label.  They're pieces of bologna 4-5 inches long split in half put in a brine w/lots of crushed red pepper.

beenthere

That could be it. Also could be kielbasa (polish sausage) too.
This site has
Pickled polish sausage
Pickled bologna
Pickled chicken gizzards
Picled eggs

etc.

www.lakesidefood.com

Anything goes, with a mug of beer and good company.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: Roxie on August 15, 2008, 12:09:22 PM
Amish Pickled Eggs & Beets:

Hardboil & Peel 2 dozen eggs....while the eggs are boiling

Them Amish are tough folks. I'd never try to peel eggs while they were boiling.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That would be a travesty to find balogna (buloni :D ), pickled down here, and Kielbasa is considered an import.

Pickled sausage is some of Momma's finest, highly seasoned and smoked, pork sausage put in a bath of colored vinegar and spices.  If someone wants pickled, sausage, eggs, pig feet or hocks, the place that you used to look for them was a Pool Hall or country store, especially one visited by hunters.  You probably should carry a kerchief or roll of paper towels too.  You'll need something to wipe the sweat off of your brow.  :D :D

SwampDonkey

I think pickled pig's feet are common in store shelves in northern Maine. My grandmother was from near Houlton, Maine and she loved them and I know she bought them state side. I did see some small jars of pickled eggs today at a seasonal vegetable stand. They had some nice pickles there to that were tempting. But, I was reminded that mom is making some and my uncle made a whole bunch. I gotta spend a few weeks up there this fall and pig out on pickles.  ;D :D :D :D

I to like pickles that use vinegar and not so much sugar. I want to taste the vinegar.  And so I got some pickles, and I also got some 3 bean salad. Had a plate of pickles, cheese and ham cold cut for supper. Oh and some fresh wild blueberries smothered in Yogart, topped with crushed pecans.  Lord love us.  :D :D :D 8) 8)

I even had a craving for some sliced dill pickles after that, with a dash of hot chilli pepper and some dry dill weed added.

I was disappointed in what they call chilli pepper around here in stores and I tossed that garbage and got some good hot ground chilli pepper. Not that dang stuff made from paprika, cumin and garlic. If i wanted that, I would go buy just that.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I have seen pig feet on grocery stores shelves, here in Maine,but have NEVER seen them on the counter like pickled eggs or sasauge.We was talking about small stores counters not shelves.

SwampDonkey

Tom

Might be a cultural thing.  You can buy a pickled pigs foot in a pool hall here.  They wrap it in a bit of wax paper. :)  Well, you could when there were still some southerners around  :D :D

Bro. Noble

Waxed paper ??? ??? ???

Is that something you guys used in the 'good old days'? 

I do seem to remember that come to think of it.  I wonder how kids slick up their sliding boards now? :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

semologger

I was up at the inlaws last weekend and she had made pickled peaches. It was not for me and the old lady. Beenthere i would of had to have alot of beer for this one. And they thought i was crazy for liking Sushi.

sawguy21

Why would they ruin a perfectly good peach ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

OH Wow!!   Pickled peaches!   I love them.  About 1/2 of a peach is good to compliment a meal.  I don't need any more than that.  Cloves!   Yep, they are full of cloves.   Open your sinus' right up.

Boy are you lucky to have someone who knows how to make pickled peaches. Sunday dinner wouldn't be the same without them or watermelon rind preserves.  :)

SwampDonkey

Only thing I like cloves in is canned/preserved crab apples, maybe plums to. That was a popular desert like apple sauce in these parts.

JackSchaffer

My grandmother used to pickle watermelon rinds.  She said she started doing it during the depression, and just kept on going.  By the time I came around, I think she and I were the only 2 that would eat them.  Can't say I blame anyone else for not trying them!
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

SwampDonkey

Jack, those are good to with some cloves. My aunt down in Mass. made them, I forgot about those. Yumm. She was married to dad's uncle who lived to be over 100. Musta been the pickled watermelon rinds. :)

Thank You Sponsors!