iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And I thought they made a big nut crop last year... (solved: Shumard oak)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, August 13, 2008, 11:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

This oak (in the red oak family) seems to make a good nut crop every year - including last year.  But this year looks to be a super bumper crop.

I don't know that I have ever seen acorns this thick, and these pictures are from lower limbs that are less than 10 feet off the ground.  I can only guess what some of the upper limbs may look like.

Also, it helps that this tree is in a place where the squirrels and other vermin do not harass them.

Any guesses as to what kind of oak this is?  (I cannot hide the leaves so that makes it a little easier)

(WDH and Dodgy Loner should just drop hints and not answer)  :)

Jeff

Tricky.  I'm leaving it and giving you an A for effort. ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lanier_Lurker

Jeff

I can appreciate its use in this instance, that's for sure. First complaint though and I'll have to code in a
 whenever an [/img] appears.  :)

Tom

Hmmm  wouldn't be a Turkey Oak way up there, would it?

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Jeff on August 14, 2008, 12:17:49 AM
I can appreciate its use in this instance, that's for sure. First complaint though and I'll have to code in a
 whenever an [/img] appears.  :)

Understood.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Tom on August 14, 2008, 12:21:15 AM
Hmmm  wouldn't be a Turkey Oak way up there, would it?

Nope, not a turkey oak.

I should have mentioned that the acorns are still developing.  They have a good 6 weeks of "filling out" left to go.

Tom

might be a cherry bark then.  those acorns look like 500 to the lb types and I'm running out of something with deep sinus' like that.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Tom on August 14, 2008, 12:39:20 AM
might be a cherry bark then.  those acorns look like 500 to the lb types and I'm running out of something with deep sinus' like that.

You are on track.  Red oak family, deep sinuses, ranging into southern areas.

Gary_C

Sure looks like a pin oak to me. Did not know they went that far south.

Also have never seen that many acorns or whatever on a tree.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

I didn't think the leaves looked like a pin oak, but you might be right.  I was going to make another WAG at Scarlet Oak.  I don't know what the concentric ring nomenclature is all about on the acorn tip though.

beenthere

If the leaves are smooth, might make it Scarlet oak, like Tom says.

Pin oak leaves are "hairy".

Nice pics, regardless.

I looked for the concentric rings, and found ...

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lanier_Lurker

Ya'll are hitting all around it, but no.

Not a pin oak.

Not a scarlet oak.

Not a cherrybark oak.

Tom

Good Picture, Beenthere.

You been drinking the water up there, Lanier Lurker? :D

I could just start listing from the book, but I won't.   I give up.

Lanier_Lurker

Ain't much water to drink up here.... :(

I will tell you that this is not one of the obscure species like Oglethorpe or Georgia oak.

Tom

.......or Shumard?  :D

I 'spec you have to chew the lake to get anything out of it.

I've been tempted to take my metal detector with me to visit a friend in Nicholsen.  No telling what kinds of little treasures can be found laying in the silt off of the end of those high and dry docks.

SeeSaw

It looks like a plain old Red oak to me.  Or at least that's what I'm used to as Red oak.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Gary_C

I give up. You would have trouble selling that as anything other than a pin oak around here. I see a lot of those pin oaks mixed in with the quercus rubra here and the instant I saw those pictures I though it was pin oak.

Did not know there was any other tree in the red oak family that had leaves any where near those.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Well then, If its not Pin Oak my guess would be Shumard which is a red oak growing in your region.

SwampDonkey

I'de say southern red oak Q. falcata

Not a whole lot different that pin oak though, but I think pin has a smaller cap. But it doesn't range into Georgia.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Lanier_Lurker

Jeff got it.

Quercus shumardii

A prized timber species from all accounts I have read.  We have a few of them planted as ornamentals in the downtown Atlanta area around the capitol - which is where this tree is.  For the Georgia folks, this tree is in front of the Archives building - which is across the interstate from the Capitol and looks like a giant tombstone.

Black oak was another good guess.  The sun leaves on black oak can look at lot like these, but their acorns look different.

SwampDonkey

I protest, where is the Georgian contingency?  Those leaves aren't the same in my dendro book.  :D :D :D

Well the acorns certainly fit, but the leaves have me worried.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

HEY!  JEFF WINS A 3 YEAR OLD WLL WORN FORESTRY FORUM HAT!  YA HOO! :D

Lanier_Lurker

Tom, somehow I missed your suggestion of Shumard - - - that was earlier in the thread than Jeff's. 

My apologies.  ::)

I was on a strange computer at the time - so I will blame it on that.

And yes - if you can fight your way through the weeds that are growing in the rich silt of the lake bed I'll bet there are all kinds of treasures down there.

Thank You Sponsors!