iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little green tractor

Started by DanG, August 13, 2008, 12:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I found this cute little thing on Clist, and it has piqued my interest.

According to the ad, it is 35hp and has 937 hours on it.  It has a 12x12 gearbox.  There were several other pics and it appears to be virtually unblemished.  Asking price is $5000.

Now for the questions.  Is anybody familiar with the model 4400 tractor and the model 430 loader?  How much weight would it handle?  Any known problems?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

I'd buy it in a heartbeat..I have the 4300 (33 hp) with the 430 loader and it is bullet-proof, IMO  :) :)

I'd be very suspicious of that price tho. I just forwarded a local 4410 on Craigslist (Madison) that was listed for $18,000. However newer, it had a 3 pt rotary mower and ballast box, but that doesn't add that much more to the value. http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/790806540.html

This one is grossly under-priced. If you can get it and check it out (no tranny problem, no rear-end gears torn up), go for it.

You will find it will lift a lot... about 2000 # at the pivot pins, depending on height.
Breakout force is 3300#

I have the hydrostatic,  and no known problems. This one being a 12 x 12 would be the only reason I could think of that it is priced that low. It is the smaller framed compact utility, and was made in Augusta, GA.

The quick attach/detach of the FEL (front end loader) is a unique feature. About a minute to attach or drop, depending only on how fast one can unplug or plug in four hydraulic connectors. 

Just hope it is true and not a scam.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumpy

Be careful.  I see alot of these adds on Clist that are total scams.  Usually there are two indicators. One, The price is way lower than it should be.  Two, there is usually(but not always) a paragraph of small print somewhere in the ad that has nothing to do with the tractor. I've seen many Deeres and Kubotas just like this one that turned out to be scams.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Corley5

I'd approach that with caution. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TexasTimbers

It's a beauty Dan. I wouldn't be afraid of it just because it is on CL. Just use the good old horse sense I know you already have. Do everything in person, get a BOS with proper ID yada yada

That price seems unreasonbly low, but that's CL for you. This guy may need cash extremely bad. It may already be gone at that price.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

GF

I would be very cautious.  I have even seen them on machinery trader.   I found a backhoe listed on machinery trader about a month ago nice JD 4 wheel drive for $5,000.  Since I am in Oklahoma it was listed as being at Tulsa Oklahoma, about an hour drive for me.   Called the guy up and left a message he called back later, he said the backhoe was in New York on a construction site, for the construction company he owned, that was going out of business.  He also mentioned he did not know what it would cost to ship back to Oklahoma or overseas.  More than likely this was a scam so I was no longer interested. 

DanG

Yeah, after studying the pics, the background didn't look right for around here. ::)  It's a moot point now anyway, 'cause I already spent the money.  At 11:39 this morning, a local guy placed a CL ad with a 93 Dodge Cummins 1ton with 110k on it for $2000.  At 2:30 this afternoon, I wrote him a check for it.  It has a 12' service body on it, but will soon be a flatbed. ;D  I didn't even haggle the price after driving it, just whipped out the checkbook and started writing. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ellmoe

Better be careful with that Dodge, Dan. Sounds too good to be true. Maybe you've been had and don't even know it! :D

Congrats on the find.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

isawlogs

Dang ,I will send a friend down there and take this heep off your hands before you sink to much of your hard earned money into it . I will use proper disposal of said heep . Cut your loses now , you will get over it in time . No need to thank me at the moment I am only doing this as a friend  ;D ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

That would be great, Marcel!  Send him on down and I can send a heep back with him.  Just give me a couple of days to get my winch off of it.  Oh yeah, tell him to bring a chain and lots of gas money, 'cause the heep he'll be taking to you will be a Ford. ;D 8) 8)

Corley5

Congrats on the Dodge  8) 8)  The engine alone is worth what you paid  8) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Congrats, and welcome to the club. ;) That's a steal.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dale Hatfield

great truck I have never regreatted making the move from ford diesel to cummins power. We have 2 and Im sure at some point all add another to the fleet.   good deal  ya bought the motor and the body come for free.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

pigman

Dang, Dang, $2000 for a truck. :o You have become a big spender and I thought you were frugal. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

GF

Sounds like you found a good deal on the Dodge.

GF

pineywoods

DanG congrats on the dodge. That would be considered a low mileage truck. Should be good for 400-500 thousand. Just go easy on the power pedal. The weak link in the cummins powered dodges is the tranny, especially the manual with OD. Just can't handle the massive amounts of torque the cummins can dish out. The 12 valve engines will tolerate home-made diesel fuel.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

Yeah Piney, that is extremely low mileage for a 15 y/o truck.  It should be around for a long time.  It was a service truck for a fairly large site prep contractor.  I talked to a couple of guys that were regular drivers, and they spoke highly of the old rig.  They just got two brand new Chevy crew-cab service trucks.  He also has a '96 Ford F250 gas burner for sale for $3000.  It has under 100k on it.

The guy I dealt with is running bio-diesel in his personal Dodge, and is real excited about it.  I invited him to look in on the Forum to learn more about it.

OneWithWood

Nice find, Dan.  Don't be too quick to deep six the Ford.  You know as soon as you let go of it the Dodge will let you down.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

That ol' Ford has been a pretty good'un, but I'd be better off with no truck at all than to keep it.  It would cost more to put it in shape than it would be worth. ::)

Don_Papenburg

Heck , Pigman  he ain't no big spender . that wern't real money he used cause he said that he whipped out his CHECK book .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DanG

Yep, I wrote a rubber check for it. ;D  I told him to give me a half-hour to get some money in the bank.  He laughed and said he'd give me an hour and a half. :D :D

Hey, anybody know if the wheels from a 1-ton Ford will fit on a 1-ton Dodge?  I gotta get my tires off that Ford before Marcel's man gets here to pick it up! ;D

mike_van

My wife emailed a CL ad for a horse trailer, oh, super price too - The trailer was in Florida, the seller was in London - Yea, sure - we'll wire you the money, just hold your breath 'till it gets there!  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

isawlogs

Dan ........   :'( :'( :'(  Ya takin' all the goodies off it .

Ford will fit Dodge but Dodge wont fit Furd , Da furd has a bigger center hole .

Who said anything 'bout sending a man .....  could of been thinking mam  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!