iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was just wondering about something

Started by Tom, August 12, 2008, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little Bark

Quote from: beenthere on August 14, 2008, 07:54:32 PM
Buttermilk isn't anything like that... ;D ;D ;D

Why would anyone drink what was given to the newborn calves??  That would be colostrum, I'm thinkin.

They would feed the calfs the milk that they could not put in the bulk tank.   But when you guys were talking about letting the milk set out to make butter all I could think of was the days that I would feed the calfs the milk that set outside the milking parlor all day. 

The next time I'm at the dairy picking up milk I will have to check for buttermilk.  I'm sure it would be a treat and looking foward to trying some.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

beenthere

Quote from: little Bark on August 15, 2008, 10:02:24 AM
...........But when you guys were talking about letting the milk set out to make butter all I could think of was the days that I would feed the calfs the milk that set outside the milking parlor all day. 

;D ;D ;D  couldn't resist the comment about drinking new cows milk.

To be anal about it, just the cream was churned for butter, and had to be warm (50° F if I remember right) in order to churn butter. The buttermilk then being the by-product of the process.
Still seemed to take a long time turning on the churn crank, but once the cream started to separate into the chunks of butter, it was quick and about over.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on August 15, 2008, 10:50:44 AM
To be anal about it, just the cream was churned for butter, and had to be warm (50° F if I remember right) in order to churn butter. The buttermilk then being the by-product of the process.
Still seemed to take a long time turning on the churn crank, but once the cream started to separate into the chunks of butter, it was quick and about over.

Your descriptive powers, mostly due to the first quoted sentence, quickly has turned me against buttermilk. :-X ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I haven't had buttermilk since I was a kid and then it was the stuff out of a carton.  We drank it with some black pepper or paprika in it.  Wasn't bad as I recall  ;D but not good enough that I drink it now  ;D  Guess I'm gonna have to get some to try again :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ely

i will eat your pancakes and bisquits and most anything made from buttermilk but as far as drinking the stuff i am still out.

Tom

There are many flavors and textures of Buttermilk today, now that cultured buttermilk is pretty much all you can get.  Some is considered "Gourmet" and costs a bunch, Some is store brand and thin as water.   Some has butter chunks running down the inside of the glass, making streaks on the glass, and some leaves a thin coating of milk hanging there.

Some tastes sweet, some is tart, and some has a bitter flavor.

I think that money spent on buttermilk labeled Gourmet, is a bit of a waste.  It is usually judged by how thick it is and might as well be yogurt.  Not that I don't like yogurt, but yogurt isn't buttermilk.  Gourmet buttermilk is like saying "if you don't like modern art you must not be sophisticated".  Thick buttermilk is the same to me as a milkshake that requires a spoon.  If I wanted ice cream, I would order ice cream.  If I wanted yogurt, I wouldn't buy buttermilk, I'd buy yogurt.  :)

I like store brands mostly.  Some is a little thin, but I'll take my chances.  It's not usually so thick that you can't drink it.   I don't like it bitter,  I prefer it sweet, though tart is acceptable.  I really like to have it ice cold on a hot day.   Buttermilk, unlike most drinks, stays cold all the way down.  You don't take a big gulp, you take little sips.  You can feel the heat leave your body as the milk trickles down the back of your throat and down your esophagus. A bigger swallow is cool as it hits your stomach.  If you want a refreshing drink that you can enjoy while sitting in a yard chair, watching the birds, try a cold glass of buttermilk. :)

Slabs

Want a good heavy mid-afternoon snack?  Crumble up a piece of cracklin bread into a glass and cover it with buttermilk.  Wait for a few minutes for it to get a little mushy and imbibe (with a spoon).  Supper will not be necessary.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

DanG

Slabs, my Granddaddy did exactly that EVERY time my Grandma made butter! :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

We do make butter at times,like Thankgiving,Christmas.But what is cracklin bread?  Stale bread? I myself do not care for buttermilk.Seems like we use to save it for someone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Cracklins are the little chips that are left after they render hog fat into lard.  They mix the cracklins in the cornbread batter, and it gives the bread a nice porky flavor.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Wow!  I am constantly blown away by the things I learn on this forum  :)

Priceless info most every time  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

So then, whats this Cracklin Rosie  that Neil Diamond Sings about?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

That was from his swine connosouir days.He's trying hard to move on.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

crtreedude

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2008, 11:40:22 AM
You have a lot of good stuff to eat down there Fred. One of my best memories from our trip is the food. Its inspired much of the way I eat and cook to this day, however the milk products aint included other then the Cheese Martine (sp) made.  I would have a hard time believing it if someone sever starved in Costa Rica. If I was ever to be Hhomeless, that's where I want to be homeless. :D

You would be right about that! I was talking with our neighbors and I mentioned that for much of the year, there is no food available - and most food is raised. As you know here, the food is falling off the trees, literally. They, in all seriousness, asked "How does one travel up there if there is no food by the side of the road!?"

One word, McDonalds.  ::)

Life sure is different here. And if you do end up homeless, I am sure we can arrange something for you. We have about 750 acres now, surely I can let you hide somewhere in there... :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

Quote from: DanG on August 17, 2008, 10:23:54 AM
Cracklins are the little chips that are left after they render hog fat into lard.  They mix the cracklins in the cornbread batter, and it gives the bread a nice porky flavor.

Down here they are called chicharrones and man are they good!

crtreedude

Quote from: Jeff on August 18, 2008, 03:19:54 PM

Wouldn't that be a turista who put on tanning location and went to sleep on the beach?

beenthere

Buy chicharrones here in a Mexican store, and they are deep fried pork skins.  Not what we refer to as cracklins.  ::) ::)  very good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

The good ones have meat on them. The ones without meat get thrown to the vultures and to the dogs...

Slabs

Quote from: Jeff on August 18, 2008, 03:19:54 PM

Cracklin Rosie was a store-bought woman.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

A manikin? Or a high maintenance gal? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!