iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was just wondering about something

Started by Tom, August 12, 2008, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I love buttermilk.  It's good on a hot day.  It stays cold all the way into your stomach.   

I poured myself a tall glass and was sitting here enjoying it when I began to wonder, "how do you know when your buttermilk is curdled"? :P :)

moosehunter

I'm bettin' that your stomach will let you know if its bad :o
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ely

i have always been of the opinion that buttermilk was just good milk a little toooo blinky to drink. but thats just me.

isawlogs

Tom , why not just take real milk ...  ::)    Like right from the donor  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

That's a good question Tom. I don't know the answer but it reminds me of a similiar question.

My father in law loved Limburger Cheese. However one day he bought some in a store and then took it back because "it was rotten." Now I asked him how he could tell and he just laughed. Since he passed away back in 1998 and never did answer my question, I guess I could add this to your question about buttermilk.

So how can you tell if your Limburger Cheese is rotten?   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Gary_C

When I went searching for answers to these two important questions, I did find this tidbit in Wikipedia:

Limburger cheese and its characteristic odor are a frequent butt of jokes and gags. In 2006 a study showing that the malaria mosquito (Anopheles gambiae) is attracted equally to the smell of Limburger cheese and to the smell of human feet[2] earned the Ig Nobel Prize in the area of biology. [3]

Now this award helps to explain Al Gore winning a Nobel Prize.   :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Quote from: Tom on August 12, 2008, 03:10:24 PM
I love buttermilk. .......... I began to wonder, "how do you know when your buttermilk is curdled"? :P :)

It'll come back.... up  ;D ;D ;D   as Moosehunter indicated.

I cared a lot more for buttermilk when it came from churning butter.  Cold, and like Tom says..."real good".

The store-bought cultured buttermilk just isn't quite the same, to me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Quote from: beenthere on August 12, 2008, 03:48:24 PM
I cared a lot more for buttermilk when it came from churning butter.  Cold, and like Tom says..."real good".

OH !!!! Is that the type of milk ya talkiing 'bout ..  :P ::)  Yep ya got that right , real good when cold and was welcomed after the churning was over .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

smoothED

SwampDonkey

You silly buggers, the dairy already took the curds out of it for the butter.  :D :D

My grandmother made tons of both in summer and pressed her own one pound blocks of butter onto butter paper. She had a butter bowl that looked a lot like woodbowl's dough bowls, had a wood press and the churn. It was all older than her, hand me downs or picked up from older community folk. ;)

She would still help my uncle and wash it and salt it up until she was about 80. She always told grandfather to 'get out of the way and go sit down' when butter making was going on.  :D He was too slow. She wasn't a patient women when it came to work around the house.  ;D People came for miles, literally, for grandma's butter. Some would even resell it and buy all she could make.  :D 8)

Myself now, I wasn't much for buttermilk unless it was in grandma's biscuits.  You go to any restaurant in Northern Maine, even KFC and you get a nice buttermilk biscuit. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Maineloggerkid

Buttermilk buscuits-mmmm ;D   Buttermilk with a little pepper in it. Good on a fall day, or at least for me.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

Fresh maple syrup in the spring is dang good on them too. But, curious enough though, most folks in the family like molasses on them instead.   :-\  I always thought that odd, because everyone made syrup around here in olden times and it was free. Well not really, but some folks figure the labour into it on their own time is free I guess and the wood for the fire is just there standing in the bush.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

CLL

Its hard for me to drink something we considered hog food, because it was spoiled. Thats why the have the term sweet milk. ;D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Tom

Sweet milk is good alright. In this day and age, my diet is pretty much restricted to Buttermilk and Blue John.  :)

DanG

Well there's the answer to yer question, Tom.  If that stuff is turning the john blue, it's probbly a bit past it. ::) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG that was a good one.... :D :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

We have something here called Leche Agria. To make it, take milk straight from the cow - place behind the refrigerator till the next day.

Pretty good stuff with I teaspoon of sugar - or wonderful missed with fruit and frozen. (like a mild yogurt)

Making myself hungry again...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

You have a lot of good stuff to eat down there Fred. One of my best memories from our trip is the food. Its inspired much of the way I eat and cook to this day, however the milk products aint included other then the Cheese Martine (sp) made.  I would have a hard time believing it if someone sever starved in Costa Rica. If I was ever to be Hhomeless, that's where I want to be homeless. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Cream was left out overnight to get warm before you could make butter. If the cream was cold, you could churn all day before it 'worked'. My grandmother learned that her mother-in-law didn't know this. Mother-in-law would churn and churn away, and no butter until late in the afternoon.   ::) Grandmother would have the churning done, butter washed and salted and pressed by 8:00 am. Churning was started before the crack of dawn. :D

And the best cows for butter was Jersey and Gernsey (sp). Holstein butter was almost white.

little Bark

I can't say that I ever had buttermilk, But I did work on a dairy in the summers growing up. One of my jobs was to bottle feed the new born calfs.  I do know that if buttermilk is anything like that I am never going to eat another buttermilk anything.

I have a glass of raw jersey milk every morning for breakfast.  I store the bottole in the back of the frig where it is nice and cold.  There is nothing like a cold glass of fresh milk and several cups of hot coffee.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

beenthere

Buttermilk isn't anything like that... ;D ;D ;D

Why would anyone drink what was given to the newborn calves??  That would be colostrum, I'm thinkin.
south central Wisconsin

WH_Conley

Drove a bulk truck a couple of years. (picking up from the farms). Everbody knew when (sample day) was. Some producers had a bottle floating in the tank. Some didn't care. I never bought milk. Guess which tank I got mine from. ;)
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!