iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on Stihl MS 460

Started by Old_Hickory, August 10, 2008, 10:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Hickory

I had a MS 441 and have sold it.I am wanting a saw to about same specs  but something that is not a EPA saw.Something in the future to do a muffler job on.
What are your thoughts on a 460
gotta love those XP saws

Lanier_Lurker

Check this thread for a discussion on comparable Dolmar and Solo models.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30007.0/all.html

I've got my eye on the Solo 681 as a possible future purchase.

Maineloggerkid

Get one- they are an animal. Just my thoughts
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Old_Hickory

so far my thought are this  460 1 st  7900 2nd 2171 3 rd  372 4 th
gotta love those XP saws

Maineloggerkid

Ive run all except the 7900, and in my opinion it should be- 1st-460, 2nd-372, 3rd-2171, 4th-7900.

again, just my opinion
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Old_Hickory

I might rate 7900 1 st also if just knew about the durability
gotta love those XP saws

ladylake

I have a 385xp, my friends 7900 cuts just as fast and is way lighter.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Old_Hickory

Steve how long has he had it? and any problems
gotta love those XP saws

ladylake

He's had it 3 years but doesn't use it much, no problems.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Old_Hickory

Thank you Steve ive checked dealers around me  so far the 460 and 7900 run neck & neck on price about 829.00  2171 at 710 $  and 372 xp 679 $
gotta love those XP saws

ENTS

I've been running my 460 since Jan.  Run about 1 to 1.5 tanks a day roughly 5 days a week.  It's easy to mod the muff either buying the stihl DP cover or make your own.  Mines got the Stihl DP and it runs with much more authority then with the old stock muff.  Great saw but I still grab my old 044 once in awhile.  Haven't run any other comp. saws so I can not speak for them.

Have a great day,

Fred
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Old_Hickory

Thank you ENTS  I have read nothing but good about the 460.I myself have had good luck with the Stihls I have owned.So thats why as for now its my 1# pick.
I know other might cut a split second faster,I'm just wondering if they will make as many cuts as the 460
gotta love those XP saws

Thank You Sponsors!