iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't say we ain't sawed that.

Started by Bibbyman, June 19, 2003, 05:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

In the last couple of weeks we had the opportunity to saw some wood types that are not indigenous to our area.  

One guy brought in about 70 redwood 2x10s - 16-18' long to have them re-edged and one face re-sawn off of them.  They were bleacher seats off of the football stadium over in Columbia.  Said he had had lots of them at one time but used all but this last batch. (for what he didn't say) He was going to build a deck out of these.  Kind of strange to handle 70 boards of this length and size without a knot in them.

Then the Missouri Department of Conservation brought us two cypress trees that had been removed from Forest Park in St. Louis.  Mary sawed them into 4" thick by max width.  They expect to use them to build park sign markers.

Then a neighbor brought us some red cedar to square into fence posts and added in three little white pine logs from a patch he had planted.

Kind of a change in diet makes things interesting.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

Yeah, Grits can get kinda old after a while! :D :D :D :D :D

Tom

I don't get tired of grits but It's Watermelon Season Y'all!

Kevin

That brings to mind endangered (tree species), are there any?
Will we see it in the future?
Could we see fines and jail time for dealing in exotic timber?

Tom

I don't know. ???  I never sawed a watermelon before. :P :-/

biziedizie

Hey Tom how would a person dog a watermelon. ???  :D
  Would it have to be flat sawed or what. ::).....What about the seeds? Would they fly off the saw and take an eye out. ::)
  :D :D :D :D

Steve

ohsoloco

Watermelon season!?  I just dropped the seeds into the ground a couple days ago  ???

ARKANSAWYER

Well I have had red jucey dripping off my elbows already. 8)

I sawed my first popular log this week.  They were planted at a College in Mo. in 1952 and had to come out due to constuction.  I had to drive 60 miles to saw them but they were my first popular logs.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

popular haha  I sawed a log once that had lots of friends and was elected president of his forest. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

OneWithWood

Watermellon is most commonly quartersawn; however, some folk stand them on end a saw through and through.  When dogging a watermellon one must have a very light touch.  Be sure and use lots of water on the blade 8)
Ohso, those southern boys have no patience and start in on the mellons before it is hot and humid enough to get the full effect :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

does 100* count as being hot enough? you northeners don't know what hot is. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

shopteacher

I like sawing popular, it's the unpopular logs I don't like.  Any log with hardware in it is very unpopular.  ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

Poplar is an interesting tree.  I've sawed, maybe, ten or twelve thousand feet of it but it comes in batches. It's been a long time.  One customer closed several thousand feet up in a barn and it rotted.  That was the most I have cut at one sawing.  

We've been slurping Watermelon for a month now.  The best one I've had all year has the last quarter cooling in the ice box now.  I don't know whose it was but I'm going to have to find out.  Man!  It's sweet.

The Big harvests are yet to come.  I wish I could find a big giant cannonball like Granddad would bring home when I was  kid.  The were huge and fed the whole neighborhood. :)

HP

Cannonball ( Black Diamond)   Now your'e talking.  Rattlesnake melons weren't bad either.

All we get up here now are  mellons about the size of a deflated basketball, and about as tasty.

Harry

Texas Ranger

LeeB, got to be 100+ here the other day, may be time to get out the short sleeve shirts.  Spring will be here soon. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Don't you just hate those teeny little melons, Harry.  Heck,you need a truckload to feed a family.  Rattlesnake melons,  what's that?  I've heard of them and associated the name with those long Congo's.  Is that what you're talking about?  We used to hate it when (relative term) when we had to eat a Congo because they weren't as big and Granddaddy sleced them end wise then cut the slice in half.  Who wants a half slice of  melon regardless of how big it is? :-/  I want it to curl up on both ends so that it gets in my ears. :D

Used to be you spot a kids favorite watermelon eating spot.  There were watermelon vines everywhere. :D

HP

Yeah, Tom, those Rattlesnake melons may have been Congos, never really knew any other name for them.   May be just my Grandpap's name for those long melons.  He likewise sliced them end ways, sort of quartersawed them.

Back in the 40's watermelon season always started on the fourth of july up here.

Harry

OneWithWood

Lee and Don,

What humidity do you have to go with those temps?  
One With Wood

LeeB

OWW, anywhere from 50-75% here in central texas. I suspect lower than in Yankee Land. JUst came in for the day. Been out sawing light poles. About 95* out there now. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

OneWithWood

Sure wish it was lower up here.  50% aint that bad, 75% gets close to being uncomfortable.  Often we will get temps in the 90's with high humidity.  Today we are expecting temps in the low 90's and the humidity is at 81% and climbing.  The word sultry comes to mind.  When the humidity is up working in the woods becomes real taxing as the trees increase the humidity that much more.  But then a good sweat cleanses the body 8)
One With Wood

LeeB

A good sweat can wreck the body if you let it go too far. Plenty of water in to replace the water out, but water alone is not enough. Be sure and keep your electrolites up to. You can sweat out all your salts if you ain't carefull. Splitt a bunch of 6" cedar logs for a fellow today. Drank 2 gallons of water and still cramped up. Cold shower and a couople slices of watermellon put me back right. Everybody watch out for the heat.

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

Lately I been getting sleepy about 2PM or so. Just seems to take the life out of me. Reckon Watermelon would help that??? It gives me gas, and I would hate to pay the gas tax. :o :o Anybody else get sleepy in the middle of the day???EVERY day???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Yep.   I gotta rest up to take a nap anymore. :-/

The only thing that helps me get through the day is lengthening my night.   I've tried to keep bedtime at 9:00 but always get wrapped up in something else.  It seems that nothing much happens on the forum until 9 pm and I have to stay up for that. :D

There have been nights when 8 pm found me so tired that I couldn't hold my head up.  I went to bed and made myself sleep. The next day I would be bright as a new penny.

I've always heard that age requires less sleep.  Ha!    The older I get the more minutes I have to add to the night. :P :D

Thank You Sponsors!