iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum

Started by Grampa_Joe, June 17, 2003, 08:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grampa_Joe

I'm still to new to this place and can't keep track, so I'll put this here. I finally got through all the vintage logging pictures and then did the funny stories and several other posts. All of this brought up several questions. These kind of follow a chronological progression. Like when we were bicycling was it right to drop all those cherry bombs in the kitchen at the church bazarr? Or when the local constable left his car running out front during one of those cold, cold winter nights, should you really have taken it all the way to the other end of main street( 5 blocks) ?
But what I really want to know is whether it's the natural progression everywhere for the guys to go from kid, to hotrodder,to biker (motorcycles) , to buckskinner ( black powder shooting), to sawyer and woodworking? Or is it just here? Oh and also did anyone else have trouble keeping a headlight bulb working in the late 50's Triumphs?
Grampa Joe

CHARLIE

Hmmmmmm. I think there is a natural progression like that.

I had a 59 BSA Super Rocket and a 65 BSA Lightning Rocket.  BSA and Triumph both used Lucas electronics which basically sucked canal water. I never had problems with headlight bulb burnout but the taillight ground wire kept breaking. ;D  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin

This place is like a puzzle.
Every now and then something will fit .  :)
I miss those bikes and the BSA as well.

hills_logging

you think you have it bad, my hog is a '74 honda CB125,and I'm 6'2" and 235lbs!!![I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] my headlight aims in the air at a 45degree angle! I guess I'll stick to my old mack & my tree-farmer until black powder season. Now a head-light on my 372 husky.............hmmm!
Bill
bill

Bro. Noble

Old guns and motorcycles and sawmill machinery isn't the progression part--------that's stuff's just normal to us normal guys.  The progression part is being able as a kid to buy and trade for that stuff with a paper route income  and trying to keep Mom out of your closet and beg a little shed room from Dad.  Then there was the whole problem of using Dad's tools.

Somehow a guy finds the room to store and means to acquire those neat necessities--------until-------SHE arrives on the scene ::)  

Then a whole new progression takes place:

Yes Dear :-*

I HAD THAT LONG BEFORE WE WERE MARRIED AND I'LL STILL HAVE IT LONG AFTER WE SPLIT  >:(  

Please let me keep that,  I've had it since I was a kid.

I just started a new one this week.  The wife always starts cleaning house in earnest as soon as school is out.  She always starts by trying to throw out any of my stuff that survived last years cleaning.  I told her that if we ever have grandkids that they would probably like to have that (whatever treasure is in question) to remember their old grandad.  So far it has worked , but she kinda gives me an evil look.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

My beloved is a veteran thrower awayer, too.  Things have gotten a bit better since I told her about the big snake that lives in the shed. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

I didn't have trouble with keeping a headlight in eather of my Triumph's, they were both from the 70's. I did have to light a match to see if they were lit. And almost every bike I had until my current 03' Road King leaked oil. My 51 Pan-Shovel had a total loss oil system. Oil sprayed from the lower end into the primary chain case then weeped out of it on to the secondary chain and from there up the rider's back.
 I took a young lady riding once who had on a white vest. I didn't think a thing about it until we stopped at a bar and she turned around to talk to a friend... From left hip to left shoulder...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Once on a trip to Daytona for bike week my wife-to-be and I decided to take a break from all the Harleys revving their engines and head on up to Saint Augustine to take advantage of a free night stay in one of the time shares.  The folks at the desk were not going to let us stay, probably becasue of our leather and my very long hair, but we talked our way in.  That is a story for another thread.  What is relevent to some part of this thread is that it rained that night and we woke up to the sound of my '75 Triumph Trident's horn blaring away.  I looked out the window and saw that the lights were on, the flashers flashing and the horn blaring.  Stupid me!  I knew that bike was the impetuous type and it was letting me know that it was not at all happy being left out in the rain :D  I got semi dressed, went out and rolled the bike into the living room through the sliding glass doors.  I pulled the neg lead to make sure we could finish our nights rest.  The next day was sunny and nice and the bike started (electric start even) and ran like a champ all the way back to Daytona.
We called the bike 'Spook' from then on 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Greenman

I keep my toys and throw everything else out, and I can just tell my grandkids about it when the time comes.  I think that's a habit that comes with being an avid backpacker.  The other perk is that then nobody can prove I had anything to do with it.
  The only problem is my wife won't let me throw enough out, so we're still travellin' a little on the heavy side for me.

That's a good one about the snake in the shed, though.   :D

hawby

I can do your snake in the shed, one better. Two days ago I was talking with my wife, while I was at work. All of a sudden she screams as though someone has taken her arm off... :o

When she finally stops, she tells me a snake that had to be 3-4 feet long and as big around as a fifty cent piece has just crawled out from under, "Grandma's Chair" (OOooopps wrong thread  ;D) and went under the baby's daybed and down in the basement. What with all the renovation going on I have some open studs....

Guess what is next on the agenda ;D ;D ;D Turned out to be a milk snake. Guess they have 15 to 20 babies.

Hhhmmmmnnn, wonder if that is why I haven't noticed any mouse turds in the basement ;)

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Grampa_Joe

We had a lot of trouble around our house with her cleaning urge too, till one day I told her that if she really wanted the place tidied up I had a plan. I told her I'd clean all her stuff and she could do mine. Don't know exactly why but we never did it and it has'nt been a problem since.
Love those old guns. Just got 3 this weekend.
'86 Win - 40-82
Rem. #4 rolling block - 22
Rem. #2 rolling block - 32-20
She's even seen them already and we can still have a conversation.
Grampa Joe

Frank_Pender

Grandpa Joe,  I am on the edges of purchaseing a, 1879 10 gage Parker.  ;D I have not shown it to the wife as yet.  I will wait unitl after the purchase.  8) It is a black powder with Damascus barrels.   It  might well be just for over the mantle or resting inthe gun safe for now.  One barrel is a ful choke ant the other has a modified choke.  Each has its own trigger.  
Frank Pender

Grampa_Joe

Don't show her. Wait a week or two and tell  her " I've had it a long time". Works sometimes. Don't put it over the mantle ! Use it. Have it checked out by someone who knows about those things and go from there. I'm an amatuer gunsmith and I refurbish or rebuild guns from time to time. Have'nt killed a game animal with anything but an antique for thirty years. Got my deer last year with a 32-20. Black powder loads are available now so if your shotgun is in shape I don't see a problem. Black powder rules.

STINKS TOO
Grampa Joe

Thank You Sponsors!