iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic 255 planer

Started by CLL, August 06, 2008, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

I have a chance to buy a powermatic 255 planer, 24", 5hp. DOes anyone know what a good price would be. I have seen pictures of it and it looks like its in real good shape.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Larry

Never heard of a 255 but that don't mean much.  Could it be a 225?  In any case if ya pass on the machine let me know as I might be interested.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

It is likely a 225. Is it dark green light green or gold? It matters. The best ones were the ligther green w/ the Powermatic name cast right into the area above the infeed table, this was about 1968-1972 (or so). What size motor? some were as small as 5 HP up to 15. Grinder? Head style (quiet head, segmanted, or 4 knife?).

Pull the side cover plate (right side as viewed from the infeed table) and study the sprokets and gears. how do they look? lots of grease visible from routine maintainence? or dryish?

They are a good solid unit, parts availability has switched to some machine shop near Atlanta. I just had to do some repairs for a buddies 180. I have a 1970 225 Powramtic here. Run it if you can and really check it out, especially the segmented infeeds and gears and sprockets.

Get back to us on my questions.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodhick

Ironwood pretty much covered everything.  I have a newer one than his. Mine is the dark green before they went to the gold color.  They are great planers.   I personnaly would stay away from the "quiet head" which has about 24 short blades in it.  Keep us posted.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Ironwood

Ditto Woodhick on the quiet head. It is likely not a production machine in it's former life as they pushed the 10-15 HP motors for that. Mine has the 15 but was in  a store disply shop in Cleveland so didn't see too much use. Dark green is good also, gold is when they started using overseas iron castings AND skipping "little" things like taping for grease fittings on the infeed rolls (at least on my buddies 180, hence the need for the repair I did. Silly!

Arnwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

CLL

Thanks for the help all. Here is some additional information I got from the picture(sorry can't down from the source). Head and bed look yellow, rest has been painted gray. It has 10" vertical adjustmet with 4 knives. Motor is 5hp-220v, with 3500 rpm, serial #is 824KG24. It has 4 adjustment handles, 2 on top, 1 middle right side, 1 middle of bottom. Weight #1500. Can you give me an idea of price in good shape.  Thanks C. L.   I saw no #'s as too 225 or 255, so I  will assume its a 225.

Ironwood

If it IS actually a 225, it SHOULD weigh 3200 or so. ??? ??? ??? Does it look like the one I posted pics of?

CLL

Ironwood, it has powermatic just like yours stamped on it, the biggest difference is where your ducting is on top it has two adjusting wheels. One is on the very top , the other is just off to one side. Any idea of what its worth?

Ironwood

Sounds like you are seeing the left right and updown for the grinder attachment. So, if it is a 225 I would say at least worth $1000, they go up to $4000 or so. The green ones (with the cast name into the iron cover, not the sticker) are worth a bit on the higher end to someone in the "know". Generally the grinders can fetch $500-750 alone (I would buy one for mine for $500 if you switch to "drop in knives" or a spiral insert head (like a Bryd)

Ironwood

woodhick

Ironwood I sent you a pm but not sure it went through.  Let me know if you got it.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Ironwood

Woodhick

did not get it. Ironwood

Kevin 81

I have a chance to get a powermatic 225 planer for whatever price I think it is worth. It did turn on and run but it is missing all of the variable feed system from handwheel to the reeves pulley moving arm and everything in between. Is their anyone on here that can take apart theirs and make drawings with dimensions or even with today's technology make 3d printed one's and make sure they work or verify they are correct so I can get some made for my machine. I could pay for this and I know (I hope I speak for everyone here) we like to see these machines stick around for as long as they can. Thank you everyone!

This ladies husband passed away not to long ago and asked me if I had had an interest in anything.

Larry

Join owwm.com and post a wanted to buy.  You can also do the same on vintage machinery. 

I would consider re-engineering with a VFD powered motor for the feed.  Might be easier, cheaper, and I know would work better.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kevin 81

Quote from: Larry on December 09, 2020, 11:11:43 PM
Join owwm.com and post a wanted to buy.  You can also do the same on vintage machinery.  

I would consider re-engineering with a VFD powered motor for the feed.  Might be easier, cheaper, and I know would work better.
Yeah I talked to scott redmond at redmond machinery for used parts, he said they would be impossible to find and said you could just put regular pulleys on it. if only someone could get me drawings, photo copy and all so I could get them made, not that hard to do just dont know some of the specs and how some of it goes together. I also thought about asking people that had one for sale close by to let me come by and take it apart so I could get what I need to be able to make the parts. I'd offer money to let me do that. All I need is just the few parts with lengths and hole spacing mostly.
You do bring up a good point with the vfd. My woodmaster sander has a variable speed dc motor, wounder if a dc motor could work somehow and be as cost effective as doing a vfd?

muggs

I have a 16 inch powermatic planer. I took out the Reeves drive and replaced it with a dc gearmotor, big improvement. I found the Reeves drive to be problematic. 

Kevin 81

Quote from: muggs on December 10, 2020, 03:43:23 PM
I have a 16 inch powermatic planer. I took out the Reeves drive and replaced it with a dc gearmotor, big improvement. I found the Reeves drive to be problematic.
I'd be interested in seeing and get to know how you did it. What size motor did you use? I got a bunch of gears and chain from dumpster diving at my work place when they were cleaning out, so this would be a little less since I have parts already that I could probably use and put to use other than collecting dust in the shop. thanks for the info

muggs

Motor is 1/2 horsepower dc gearmotor. I will try to attach pics, but if they don't come through, well I tried.

muggs

Kevin 81 go to my gallery to see pics, I just can't get them into my post. Like Clint Eastwood said,'' A man has to know his limitations''

Thank You Sponsors!