iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I don't know what this log is

Started by Daren, August 06, 2008, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I got a mixed load this morning of red/white oak, walnut, cherry, honeylocust, hickory and hard maple. A few were fresh cut yesterday so I just end sealed them. Some of the white oak and cherry had been down a few weeks so I bucked the ends off and sealed the fresh end. I bucked this "red oak" I thought and that ain't it. smiley_headscratch. It is not hackberry, way too hard. I don't take much hickory, some of the logs where hickory I recognized (obvious bark) This bark throws me. I really don't know what kinda log this is  ::). I have to scale and pay in a couple days I think it would be wise to know what I am paying for  :-[. The guy is easy to work with, but I can't really afford to make any mistakes right now. (spending money on logs and not selling lumber, bummer)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ADAMINMO

Aroostooksawyer

beenthere

First blush for me is ash.

Aroostooksawyer....I agree and you type faster. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Gary_C

Most likely a Bur Oak which is also considered a white oak for commercial purposes.

Could also be a Green Ash, not a White Ash.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bull

Ron Wenrich

Definitely ash.  If it was an oak, you would have the large rays.  It should cut out fairly nice.  If you leave it lay too long, you'll get powder post beetle in little time.  The handle company that used to buy ash kept the logs wetted down with a sprinkler system during the summer to help control the beetle.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Daren

Quote from: Gary_C on August 06, 2008, 04:47:54 PM

Could also be a Green Ash, not a White Ash.

I know white ash pretty well, it's not that...but I do not know green ash. I will have to look at that closer ?

Dodgy Loner

Once they're sawed into lumber, it's all white ash ;).

With the bark still on it, you can generally tell the two apart: white ash tends to have blockier bark; green ash has interlacing ridges and furrows and often has a mossy trunk, because it grows in wet locations - it's a very common river bottom species.  I'd say you probably have a green ash there, but the lumber will be indistinguishable from white ash.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Daren

Is green ash bark softer ? I am believing everyones advice. The white ash around here the bark is tougher/hard. This bark is very soft and not clinging to the log well either. It just fell off the cookies I bucked when they hit the ground. It has not been down but maybe a week and it was standing live. Oh well, ash it is. At least the heart is pretty small. (and ash is cheap  ;) so I am glad I asked.)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pigman

In this area, I have heard it called "blue" ash. I am not sure if it is same as green ash. It is a softer wood and  it grows on dry hill sides .
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Blue ash is a different species.

Nice ash!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

Not sure about ash....... I cut a Raywood Ash yard tree recently and it had much smoother bark.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Daren on August 06, 2008, 06:44:33 PMIs green ash bark softer ? I am believing everyones advice. The white ash around here the bark is tougher/hard.

Around here, both white and green ashes have pretty spongy bark.  Your hard-barked white ashes may just be a regional difference.

SPIKER

I cant quite put my finger on it but is similar bark to a tree I had questions on at my place that I think is cotton wood here is pic. of my tree which is in creek bottom/wet area.   mine also appears to be dieing.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

ely

the bark does look like ash and it may well be but i will vote gum.

the last picture looks like cottonwood to me spiker.

daren my compliments to whomever sharpened that chainsaw. ;D

Daren

Quote from: ely on August 08, 2008, 09:31:56 AM

daren my compliments to whomever sharpened that chainsaw. ;D

That'd be me, thanks for noticing  ;D

WDH

Gum is diffuse porous, where all the wood pores are very small and about the same size.  Therefore, the annual rings do not stand out very distinctly.  In ring porous woods, the wood put down in the first part of the growing season has very large pores.  Then the tree shifts to smaller pores in the latter part of the growing season.  This pattern leaves annual rings the are very distinct, part of the ring with very large pores and part with small pores, leaving a distinct demarcation between the pore types.

This log is ring porous as you can very easily see the annual growth rings with the bands of large pores and the bands of small pores in each ring.  That is one major characteristic that points to ash, besides the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

thanks for explaining all that, wish i would take the time to study a bit more.

Tom

That makes me feel so smart!!  I had looked at the rings and though, "black gum doesn't have rings that you can see very easily."  I didn't know why, but you have taught me something.

Now, about the bark. 
QuoteThat is one major characteristic that points to ash, besides the bark.

What would you designate as an Ash bark.   Gum is more of "Woof woof :P ;D" and I picture Ash as being more of a "yap yap".

LeeB

Hey Tom, I think Ash barks come in a wide range of sounds from near silent to loud and rauccous.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Yep Lee,  ash bark can be quite moody :).

Ash bark has ridges that can run together and make a diamond pattern sometimes and at other times, they do not form the diamond ridges.  It can be variable.  In fact, there can be a few feet of bole with very distinct diamond ridging, then the bark breaks up into blockly knobby squares and rectangles.  Also, there is a green lichen that loves ash bark, and it is visible in the pic.

Gary_C

That bark is also typical of the many Bur Oak we have here. I just misjudged the width and depth of the ridges and valleys when I saw the first picture. Bur Oak bark has much coarser ridges and deeper valleys.

Since I had already typed that guess, I just left it but also noted it did appear more like Ash. The end grain picture with the pronounced rings made it almost sure it was Ash and not Bur Oak.

Bur Oak is also one of the most dense hardwoods we have, so that description of very hard was another misleading clue. Bur Oak can be so hard that sometimes sparks will fly when you cut it with a chainsaw.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!