iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st corn is in the freezer

Started by breederman, August 06, 2008, 11:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breederman

8)   
It took all morning but I got 250 ears cut and in the freezer.
  The process:
     you go to town to buy freezer bags because you can't find any in the kitchen
     While you are in town you rember that you put a full box in the camper last week.
     go pick corn
     put water on to boil
     husk some corn to get started with
     get it in the pot
     look for the knife that you like to cut corn with
     look for the knife sharpener
     get corn  that has been in the pot too long into sink full of cold water
     vow not to make a mess
     start cutting and bagging
     repeat till done
     clean mess off counters, walls,and cook top
     find the mop
     vow not to make such a mess next time

Together we got this !

Norm

I'm kind of lazy....well actually I'm really lazy when it comes to freezing sweet corn. :D

We do the whole ears and just this year bought a foodsaver sealing system. Boy does it ever do a good job and really cuts down on the time. Now we'll see if they last longer in the freezer this way.

We finished up our first field of sweet corn and by next weekend will start work on the next field.

Gary_C

Here in southern MN our sweet corn is rather late because of the wet and cool spring, but in the last week some has been ripe. However this year all of the sweet corn that we have bought and some we picked from our own patch has not been very sweet. It has been tender but not much flavor.

Any one else seeing this?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

We have seen it here too Gary. We have some neighbors that grow 40 acres of sweet corn that they sell via trailers in all the towns within a 60 mile area. I bought some because mine was not ready yet and was sorely disappointed in the flavor. Now this is the same variety that they grew last year that was very tasty. It has really hurt their reputation.

We grow an SH2 variety that was pretty good but not nearly as sweet as I would have expected. I'm not sure if it was too much moisture or the lack of heat units that is causing it.

Tom

Gael bought one of those food savers and it was working real good until she quit using it.   If I knew where she hid it, I'd use it.   It works especially well on opened chedder cheese packages and stuff like that. I never could get them sealed back up very good with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.

I like your pretty blue dress, Norm. :)

Thank You Sponsors!