iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 30 -18 HP Briggs Starter

Started by ajkoontz, September 11, 2020, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajkoontz

Anyone have any experience replacing starter on an early 90's Woodmizer LT 30 with the 18 HP Briggs opposed twin engine? Best I can tell the flywheel has to be removed to replace the starter and I don't think we are going to be able to get the flywheel off. Is there a way to remove and replace the starter without removing the flywheel? I'm pretty sure there is not but figured if there was a better way someone on here would know it.

Gere Flewelling

I worked a for many years for an equipment dealer that sold sand spreaders.  This Briggs twin was the standard engine used on their at that time.  The aluminum engines and salt were not a good combination.  The only way I ever found to get at the two 5/16" bolts holding the starter was to remove tin work/shroud and then the flywheel.  The Briggs flywheels always used to have two tapped holes on either side of the crankshaft nut to attach a puller into.  I used to break the flywheel nut free and then just back it off a turn or two and use that nut to pull against with a puller.  The Briggs puller was just a 3/8"x 2" wide flat bar that was drilled in the center to fit over the crankshaft and two smaller holes to fit the tapped holes in the flywheel.  It was important to make sure the puller was tightened down against the flywheel so it would not tip and snap the bolts holding it to the flywheel.  You can then turn the actual flywheel nut out to put pressure against the crankshaft.  It would often just "pop" and come free.  Sometimes it required more persuasion and a good hit from a heavy lead or dead blow hammer on he end of the crankshaft would be enough to jar it free.  Only once did I have one that was so corroded that it required a little heat around the center of the flywheel to break it free.  The trouble was the heat will destroy the stator magnets (glued on) on the underside of the flywheel.  Kind of a long explanation but this was the technique we learned back in the 80's that worked pretty well.  I hope this helps a little in correcting you problem.  Good Luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Thank You Sponsors!