iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curious beeked critter with spines and big teeth. (Solved: American Beech)

Started by SwampDonkey, August 05, 2008, 07:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

I believe you've got the right family, but the wrong genus ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Timburr

And I went all the way to the end of the land to discover this one!  ;D
Sense is not common

Lanier_Lurker

SwampDonkey

Yeah, and in that last picture I had to use a leaf as a background because those tufts of axillary hairs don't show up with a white background too well. :D

WDH

Yes, those axillary hairs can be quite difficult.  Sometimes, they just need a good talking to.  "If y'all don't behave, I will have to dehisce your peduncles and truncate your apical meristems........".   That usually gets them to cooperate better :).

Of course, sometimes those axillary tuft's behavior is dependent on whether they are on shady beeches or sunny beeches ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 05, 2008, 10:42:14 AM
Bud and petioles. ;D

I had the distinct pleasure of playing "petiole" for an 87 point bingo in computer Scrabble today - - - while I was at work.  ::)

I won the game too.  387 to 345   :)

WDH

Lanier_Lurker

I also had the distinct *displeasure* of playing the word "adelgid" for an apparent bingo in another game of Scrabble - - only to discover that (inexplicably  >:( :P) it is not in the Scrabble dictionary.

I am still angry about that.....and even more so when I look up the word on http://dictionary.com and there it is for all to see.

Lanier_Lurker

Swampy, here the Georgia boys go hijacking threads again........ :D

Lanier_Lurker

As for your "beaked critters", I have seen them by the hundreds on my steps down to the lake.  I have several mature beeches down close to the edge of the lake.

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 05, 2008, 10:42:14 AM

Bud and petioles. ;D

Wow, look at those stipular scars!.  I have always been a stipule man ;D. 

Lanier_Lurker

Those buds are more blunt than the buds on my beeches.

Mine look like the end of an icepick or awl.

SwampDonkey

They aren't hardened off yet and I think by the look of those stipule scares and recent shoot elongation, she was a slow growing branch. A more opportune position in the crown and the buds are much bigger and pointier. ;D

Dodgy Loner

I have been training a 4-H Forestry Team for the last couple of weeks, and beech was one of the trees we learned last week.  I wanted to show them how to ID beech by the long, pointy buds, but alas, they were still short and stumpy like SD's.  We will have to wait until fall before I can teach them that fantastic identification characteristic (although I'm sure my enthusiasm will be met with a chorus of groans ::))
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Those hairs on the beech are much more prominent in the spring with shoot elongation.

Thank You Sponsors!