iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

travel trailer roof leak

Started by sbishop, August 04, 2008, 09:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi all, i've got a leak in my travel trailer (1979). i've think i've narrowed it down to a section up front. I tried putting roofing cement on it last year but it has come back.

Any suggestion on what i can put on it that will last a long time? i was thinking maybe putting a piece of ice and water shielf, then tarring it?

What do you think?

Sbishop

Radar67

Elastomesteric (sp?) roof coating. It is a white rubberized coating that is used on mobile homes and metal roofs.

Coat the whole roof. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

CLL

Agree with Radar67, it works great and will keep trailer cooler too.
Too much work-not enough pay.

sawguy21

Patching the leak will only buy  a little time. The moisture will be trapped in the roof rotting the framing. The only solution is removing the trim and carefully peel the skin back so you can re use it. Replace any rotted wood and the insulation.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

Sawguy is right.  Just have a look at my camper.  Seems the people that had  it before me never sealed anything up  and moisture got under the tin and rotted the framing which was mainly 3/4" plywood.  I got a heck of a deal on it and will eventually be using the fridge, stove, and furnace, along with various small parts and pieces to build myself a new and bigger model.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mad dog

I had 3 leaks in my motorhome ,seal it with liquid roof,been 2 years and no leaks! I used etrabond on the seams(did this first)
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

sbishop

Elastomeric seems to be the way to go, do any of you know if it will stick to tar? 2 years ago i tarred the area in question!

Sbishop

Radar67

Everything I've read says it is geared toward roof replacement for old asphalt and metal roofs.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sbishop

i did half my trailer yesterday...this Elastomeric seems to be some good stuff!

Sbishop

Thank You Sponsors!