iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

Using tire chains on paved roads would chew up the roads quickly.
Sand, salt and knowing which roads have steep hills is the answer.
Peter, totally agree, the sand truck driver would've got "driver of the year" award if he'd backed down the hill with spreader on full blast. 😎
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Andries on December 07, 2016, 10:01:11 AM
Using tire chains on paved roads would chew up the roads quickly.
Sand, salt and knowing which roads have steep hills is the answer.
Peter, totally agree, the sand truck driver would've got "driver of the year" award if he'd backed down the hill with spreader on full blast. 😎

Well, growing up in lower New York, we had studded snows on for the winter.  Yep, you could see the wear on the concrete roads where there were hills...  But, sliding on snow and ice was rare.  Out here, on I-80 going over the summit, they often have "chain controls".  There is a section of road where the elevation drops maybe 500 feet below two summits.  I'm guessing that the road was fairly clear and vehicles would speed up and cause excessive road wear.  Was driving on that last summer and it was like slot car racing!  The right lane (where the semi-truck are) had "ruts" in the concrete that is only a few years old.  They were probably 2 or 3" deep - you didn't need to steer :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

Cold has made its way here, bout time I reckon, any precep will be sparse if any,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

curdog

The cold air is starting to work it's way in. We've reached the high for today at around 46-47 and should be down to the mid 20s tonight. Walked some logging jobs yesterday and actually had mud on my boots for a change.

Gearbox

We will be below zero on Saturday AM for the first time of many be for spring . Got the skid trails dragged should be getting hard ground . No more dirty logs .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

sawguy21

Sunny and -12C here, definitely time to cover the tomatoes.  ;D The coast got hammered with snow and cold with another bigger one forecast for tonight. Sure glad I'm not commuting there anymore.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Yesterday I saw 38° on a bank sign. Ground is still white,just a few inches of white.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ed_K

Nope  :o sanding going down backwards doesn't work. Sooner or later the sand lets go on the ice and down you go. And if you have that DanG anti lock brakes you don't have brakes either. I was lucky, :o I missed a school bus as the dual's caught the snow bank and pulled me to a stop. My work truck gets the anti lock fuse pulled during winter.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Been mostly sunny for a change.  ;D Oh we have snow, but have not had a storm in a  week. 8F this morning.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I just finished plowing the yard and driveway for the first time, we had about 4" last night and it's starting again. The weatherman is saying we will stay cold for at least a month so it's a white Christmas.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

trapper

snowing now may be our first real snow of the year.  If 4 inch or more we may take  truck with 4 wheel drive to church in the morning.  Supposed to be cold next week.   Polar vortex.  So much for global warming.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Woodhauler

-2 at 7 this morning
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Snow is here. But it is warmer.We got about 6-8 inches of snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

The cold is coming. -20 and more. That will make some glaicers.  ;D

goose63

Quote from: thecfarm on December 14, 2016, 06:45:21 PM
The cold is coming. -20 and more. That will make some glaicers.  ;D

That's for sure and with the wind up to 35 mph and I had to get the tracter and snow blower out no cab or heater why O why do I stay here in North Dakota in the winter time splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley bon_fire bon_fire bon_fire
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

I did forget to mention that is with the wind chill factor. I think it's only about -5,but the wind will bring the temp down.
But than Sunday,45° and rain and than down to 16°.  :o

caveman

It was in the low 80's here again today and will be for the foreseeable future.  With wind chill and not being in the shade it was closer to 90°.  I do not want the cold weather that many of you are experiencing but I would not mind some nights in the 50's.

The kids had an FFA Christmas party last night.  They had a bon fire but it was not needed for heat but the smoke helped to keep the mosquitoes at a tolerable level.
Caveman

thecfarm

The wind she is a blowing.
COLD COLD COLD.
The glaziers are growing.

Qweaver

When we started building the Cabin, about 15 years ago, we felled and sawed logs all thru the winter.  The temps were often in the teens and below.  But we just worked thru it and it really did not seem bad at all.  BUT!  We were far younger and better looking then.  Now the Man Cave seems like the place to be on the really cold days!
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Baby it's cold out there. Wife's phone said it was -28 with the wind chill. It's a Carhart day.
I saw a couple deer eating the grain I put down. Only have a couple at a time come,so far. That should change as the winter goes on. They just started to come here. I hope for 10-14 at a time.
Turkeys will come in through the day and clean up.I see one there now. Surprised there is not about 10 there. Last year the turkeys did not find the grain.

Chuck White

At the moment, it's -20° here.   bon_fire

No wind, so the thermometers at each end of the house are reading the same!

We have about 10" of snow on the flats, where it hasn't drifted!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

It is cold out here today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crow99

Fuel line froze on the tractor Tuesday.  Cold to warm to cold must have gotten condensation in the tank, I don't know. And there was ice in the bottom of the filter bowl. Couldn't reach the whole line safely with a heat gun. Replaced the fuel filter, but still no flow. Finally threw a tarp over things and ran an electric space heater which got the flow going,  bled the return and injectors, and it started and ran. Dumped in about 12 Oz of 9-1-1 and hope it doesn't happen again.
Few things in winter are more miserable than trying to unfreeze a frozen diesel, I think...

thecfarm

I saw -6 on the way home tonight,not much wind.

Thank You Sponsors!