iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Holmes

Have the wood stove burning
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

It is some cold out there,-7 now. Got down to -12 sometime.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

By the looks of that wood pile it's been severe cold for a week. Only getting about 70 % of normal burn time and that's with half slabbed rounds. Need some of that legendary bodark. Burnt a full cord in a week. :D Oh well, this cold is all gonna end tomorrow for at least a week long stretch in the teens. That's above Zae Row. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Minus 24 around here this morning.

Turned on my radiant heat for a couple hours before I went to bed. Sure helps the woodstove keep up  8) ( I run the radiant for 4 hours once or twice a week; try to keep the 6"slab downstairs above 60 )
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

red oaks lumber

providing buildings (barns) just isnt feasible. i have beef on 4 seperate  pastures and buffalo on 2 other pastures. once there is enough snow, i plow up rows of snow going north/south and others going east/west to offer wind breaks.
the bad thing with barns, the animals put off alot of body heat so a building would get warm and steamy real fast. pnhomina and other breathing issues will develope rather quickly making matters worse than just keeping them outdoors.
one positve with the extreme cold..98% of ash bore lavre dont survive when temps. reach a minus 30 deg. f. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

goose63

So far we missed the snow and ice and its +11 but that north wind is COLD
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Holmes

Minus 16 last night.  Sooo cold I don't want to even look outside   :)
Think like a farmer.

Peter Drouin

-4 but have sun. Had to plug in the John Deere.
Red oak we all do what we have to do. Best of luck to you.
In NH all the barns have vents or cupola on top of them to take care of that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

Post and Holmes:  That's the way to handle the cold. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

About 11:30 last night we had -22°F, and this morning at 7:00 we had +12°F.

Good to be on the "hot side" of Zero for a while anyway!

Now we have 16°F and a slight breeze blowing outside, maybe 5mph or so.

Lot better than we've had in a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Chuck,that's what I'm waiting for.  :) -3 now,but should get up to where you are by high noon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quoteone positve with the extreme cold..98% of ash bore lavre dont survive when temps. reach a minus 30 deg. f.

Interesting...  Where do we read that? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Sounds more like figures published about mountain pine beetle. That is why it is believed that the PB will not come east far on jack pine. I think it had pretty much stayed as far east as Alberta where the transition is from lodge pole to jack.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

My brother said 31 below this morning without factoring the wind chill in V.B. Maine.

Peter Drouin

+ 19 here at noon  8) I hope the cold kills all the bad bugs  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

curdog

I know I won't get much sympathy from my northern brothers, but it's going to get down to 5 or 10 here Monday or Tuesday. I like cold weather as much as the next but that is going to push the limit. We don't usually have temps like that. Now if I can just get a little snow.

SwampDonkey

It's creeping above zero F here now. Was -16F this morning.

Autocar

Last night it was ten degrees when I got up this morning it was 16 now in the twentys. There calling for heavy snow and -17 the next few days. I went after the skidder this morning so I could plow snow drifts. I wanted to load logs but the wind is screaming out of the south and its cold but biggest factor, with know skidder on the job I did't want to take a chance getting hung up. They have been there a hundred years whats a few more days ;)
Bill

Chuck White

Slowly creeping up, it's now up to +30°.

52° swing since last nights low of -22°

I think it'll start cooling down as the sun goes down, so I'm not worried to much about the eves dripping!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

beenthere
it was in the st. paul pioneer press this morning.
peter
how big a barn do i need for 225 head of beef and bison? :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Temps rose to double digits last night but with the wind it feels well below zero. Sunday thru Tuesday we have a wind chill watch for chill values of -55° to -60° F and more snow.

About 4-5" more white stuff overnight putting the seasons total at 160 inches and climbing.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Monday and Tuesday, the temp will be getting down to 9°.
I may be able to post in the frozen log thread then.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Woodcarver

The forecast here is -28F Monday night.  Everytime I check the forecast they've dropped it another degree.  I guess I had better stop checking... :laugh:.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!