iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Quote from: WDH on January 03, 2009, 08:31:02 AM
Shirtsleeve weather this morning.  I am going to saw some oak in the heat ;D.

Yeah, yeah.  Way to rub it in, sir.  Thanks.  :D 

It was -46°F this morning and has warmed up 1 whole degree!   8)  ::)  The weather forecast says "no relief in sight!" (sometimes I really dislike overly happy weathermen) and is predicting nothing warmer than -35°F until at least Friday.

The last extreme cold snap I can remember similar to this one was back in the 80's.  Woulda been happy to keep it a distant memory.   :-\   Ah well.  I thank the Lord that we've plenty of firewood and for the fact I can heat it up to 80°F inside, even at -60°F outside, should I feel the need.

sawdust

Warbird, the really good thing about the cold is.... no bugs and no tourists!
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Sprucegum

:o Ya know its cold when ya try to breath and the spit freezes to your tonsils  :D  :D

Warbird

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 03, 2009, 07:20:17 PM
:o Ya know its cold when ya try to breath and the spit freezes to your tonsils  :D  :D

Yup.  Or when your eyelids start freezing shut because your eyelashes are frosted up, and when the top lashes hit the bottom lashes when you blink, the frost sticks them together.  :)  (we need a "frozen" smiley)

thecfarm

Another windy day,night.Thermometer says 16,more like -something with the wind chill.Been getting a lot of windy days here lately,better than getting a lot of snowy days here. Only have about 6 inches of snow here.Been dodging the coastal storms.But nothing but ice under that 6 inches of snow.Cutting fire wood and I'm on a steep knoll.Don't dare to go down to far.That's what 100 feet of  cable on the winch is for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawdust

Ah yes frozen spit, cousin of the snotsicle. :D

beenthere

You may think its funny that my nose is runny, but it'snot
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

You know it's been too DanG cold when you are happy it is -38°F, because it has "warmed up".   :o

SwampDonkey

Was 10 F this morning and one little snow shower, then it cleared out and it climbed to 25 F. By the sounds of things though, it's going to be a cold snap this week and not much for storms, except snow showers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT

Re: The weather SUCKS

-1 to +2 C , Sunday , inside watching white rain
It's normally a day off and fun.
Another 4 inches this morning .
YUK,, Yesterday Had to weld / repair the blower and put back together first , then go get
cold..Kubota Tractor with Front mounted Snowblower 5 foot wide.

When we get a freak storm , it might snow 5 -7 inches max.stay for a few then melt.
Now we have had just over 4 feet.
Im cleared,, driveway , walkways , roofs clear and would like to have a break now , Been at this
since DEC 13th.Last week i ate a kids bike and smashed the snowblower ,
Bike was not a trike , Was a kiddys with trainers i heard. I never saw it
and only felt a jar from the tractor. Bike was a TL , and i assumed it was
a trike because of the 2 trainer wheels.

Little tyke got off lucky , NO BILL after dad said go this way .

Last time i hit a curb and ripped the blower off the tractor , had to back
up all the way to the shop , dragging the blower.

White rain is not sticking as of yet , but there saying freezing rain next.
Normally get wind storms here , but add snow and freezing rain , sure to have a power outage .
In 2006 folks lost power for 2 weeks.

VT

sawdust

VT that is a really nice looking shop from what I can see. too bad about the kubota. Least your little one was not on the bike. cousin lives in Campbell river, I should see how she is doing.
dc

VT

Sawdust , Campbell River has less snow , but if you know the island , lack of plows.

I have no little or big ones Sawdust, It was the mile away neighbors bike.

VT

SwampDonkey

It goes with out saying, but with all that new rare snow, the little ones are known to build snow forts on the back side of those snow piles.  :P

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT

Yes , Thanks Donk,
I did that yesterday (in my mind only) back in the 50-60s In Ontario after coming to Canada as a kid.
SNOW-FORTS
Now i dread Snow-suit Farts  :D

I do watch out for stuff , Dogs i find are the worst. I also stop and folks say i give them Crap about watching close, they really don't think ahead that much. To stop a blower from throwing snow out of the chute , you need to stop and back-up then let it clear itself before you can use it again. This is not BANG now , even that takes 30 seconds to stop and back-up, but your now all plugged up with packed snow and somethings broke.

VT

Warbird

To all of you guys complaining about the snow...  make you a deal.  You take the -60 F weather they are calling for tonight and I'll take the snow! 

SwampDonkey

25 F and clear blue sky after our morning 1/4" snow dusting for today.  Wish I had a video of brooming off the snow dusting from the steps, just to torment. ;D

SwampDonkey

NB is the sunniest and warmest (summers) province in Canada. Well, if you look it by regions, as some of our provinces go a lot further north than NB does, we rank fourth in warm summers. But, we are the sunniest, actually Mirimachi City is the sunniest in Canada. ;D

Says Environment Canada.

Coon, from the Conservation council, is way off on his numbers though. He says our precipitation is almost 3 fold it was 10 years ago. In fact, the average precip. here is 40 inches and the records are 2005 and 2008 , 51 and 53 inches or handy to that. Heck, I have an old set of encyclopedias, about 30 years old that says we average 40 inches. That corresponds to the Caribou, Maine weather office. Some people can make their own statistics I guess. :D

farmerdoug

Well, it is cold enough here for frozen ground and good ice. 8)  Looks like a great ice fishing year. :)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SamB

Just checked the rain gage, 1.9" of precipitation since Jan. 1st, had over 5" in Dec. Fortunately most of it here was in the form of rain. Today the ground is clear but soggy, the creek is about to breach it's banks. 

Warbird

Thought you guys would appreciate a couple of photos someone took from the building I work in.  The building sits up on a hill overlooking the valley.  This was the view yesterday.  The temps were around -45°F in the valley and about -33°F at our building.  The difference in temps (and likely why the ice fog stays in the valley) is due to inversion.

*edit*  Both photos were taken by a coworker who is also a professional photographer.  I have her permission to post these here but she did request "photo credit".  Her name is Monique Musick and I am sure that you will agree she is a talented photographer.  :)  (ps. Mods, I think I followed the rules properly here but if not, please let me know what I need to do).

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

Yes,I do agree she is a talented photographer. Very nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, she is a good photographer. I like the ravens in flight. Sometimes you watch those buzzards and it's like they are chasing their tails, up in the air doing it. :D The cold air one almost looks like a flooded forest. ;D

Jeff

That air is heading on a b-line for Michigan. On the weather tonight they said that when it gets here Monday or Tuesday, that it just may possibly be the coldest it has EVER been here. Ever, as in recorded weather history. They say our day time highs will very possible be the coldest ever as well as the night time lows.  I hate that word coldest ever, cause I've seen some pretty dang cold days that I thought then I never wanted to see again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Hmmm.  Monday or Tuesday is when they are predicting the cold snap is going to break here...  coincidence?  I think not!

Sorry it is headed your way, Jeff.  You guys hunker down and huddle up.  Hopefully it'll only last a day or two for you, instead of the 2+ weeks we've had it.

Thank You Sponsors!