iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Had 12-15 inches over night here, plowed out with the walk behind in 1.5 hours. Some wind drifting, white outs in the fields. Not drifting in my driveway because of my trees. "What do you want to plant all those trees to block your view for?" ::) Done snowing though, starting to see sun poking through now. Main road just being plowed now. 14 F as of 9:30 am.

Coffee break. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

No more 63F days for us I am afraid.  It has reached into Georgia now.

18F here at 0930.  High today may not get above freezing.

BIG change from 2 days ago.   :-\

OneWithWood

One of the symptoms of global warming is radical shifts in weather patterns.  Hotter springs and falls and colder winter months.  I am eagerly waiting those warmenr spring days and hoping for a early arrival - similar to last year.  I think mid-January would be about right  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Warbird

I'm an Alaskan for Global Warming.  Bring it on!  ;D

This chart speaks for itself:
http://www.lakepowell.net/sciencecenter/geologic%20global%20temp.jpg

old joe

I'm just down hill from Mt.Cheaha. I'm pretty sure we got to single digits early this A.M. Well house froze for the first time in 15 years.  Got it running again with no broken pipes.  Been spoiled living in the south.  Would have been better prepared if  I still lived in Saranac ,N.Y.
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

SwampDonkey

We are due for a warm spring for a change. Last one we had was in 2006. Seems every 3-5 years we get one then maybe 2 in a row. Kinda like harvesting fir cones. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

it got up to 8 degrees today

Stonebroke

thecfarm

I just came in from playing in the snow.Took just about the day to clear a foot and a half of snow.Don't get that much snow in a storm most of the time.One or two a year.That's our first big storm.Can be the last too for this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

I went and turned the heat on a few minutes ago.  My feet are cold.

It must be 60 degrees in the house.  brrrrr

Tim L

my deepest sympathies !
Do the best you can and don't look back

SwampDonkey

He just needs some wool stockings instead of them cold cotton tube socks.  ;D :D :D

beenthere

Tom, ya could do like DanG and prop your feet up in front of the fire at the pit.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Yeah, I could, but I would have to put on a coat if I go out there.  :-\ :D

SwampDonkey

Put your feet up by the laptop heat vent and curl your toes some.  :D :D

Tom

I could get a good book and go lie down in front of the refrigerator.  :D

SwampDonkey

Your cold and need to find a heat source, I'm hot and need some windows open. Don't make sense. :D :D

Handy Andy

Don't know how you could be hot in Nebraska, as cold as it is in Kansas.  This morning the news said it was 1 degree here, was supposed to warm up some but I couldn't tell it.  Waited till 3 this afternoon to try to start the tractor, supposed to be warm you know, and had to run the space heater 45 minutes before it would start. Sure glad I upgraded the starter last summer, old one would never have gotten her runnin.  Was reading page one of this thread, how is Texas Timbers taking this?
My name's Jim, I like wood.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Handy Andy on December 22, 2008, 08:47:46 PM
  Don't know how you could be hot in Nebraska

Not in Nebraska, I'm in New Brunswick. I was referring to the stifling heat from a wood burning furnace. :D ;)

Last night I tossed 4 chunks of hard maple, maybe included a beech, at 2:00 am and the fire never went low enough for the fan to shut off until 10:00 am with lots of coals left to ignite the next load. I use big chunks, half slabs and they burn a long time, usually a stick or two of small in with it. Now we are not talking anything from a tree rounder than 16 inches. This last bunch I put in less fuel and the fan ran 7 hours. I'm off to stoke'r for the night and head to bed.

stonebroke

You ought to try a block heater, much handier than a space heater in getting a tractor started.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Bleh.  Looks like all that cold air we've been shipping down to you guys is coming back home.  They are calling for a low of -25F on Friday night, with a high of only -23F on Saturday.  The low for Saturday night is -35F.  Time ta stack some more firewood.

I say to thee again...  Bleh.  It had to happen sooner or later.

Just once more...  Bleh.

SwampDonkey

More rain on the way for Wednesday evening into Thursday here.  Should make it nice and icey for Christmas. ::)

Corley5

We've got snow coming down and more on the way for tomorrow.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to put the blower on the tractor this winter but if this keeps up much longer I'm going to run out of places to pile it  :( >:( ::) >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I thought today was the latest system as I hadn't seen the weather. Turns out the 4 inches today wasn't worth mentioning next to the 8 to 10 more were supposed to get tomorrow.  that much more before some of this other settles or melts should make for some interesting views out the windows.  I have to peak out at least the middle part of our front windows now to see a car going down the road.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Y'all make sure to reduce the snow load on your roofs, as well.  When I lived in Anchorage, it seemed like there was at least 1 roof cave-in per winter from too much snow.

Corley5

That's the wonderful about a steel roof with adequate pitch.  A few hours in the mid 30s freezing and the DanG stuff slides right off  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!