iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

high temp thermo treating

Started by Tam-i-am, August 03, 2008, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

while we were at horse progress days we found this other way to dry lumber.  It was called High Temperature Thermo treated wood.  He claims it is more resistant to weathering than pressure treated lumber.
Also that there are only 4-5 places in the US that can do it.  I guess the technology is from Europe.  In my freetime I thought I'd like to look into it because he had samples of the most beautiful flooring that would not swell and buckle like my oak hardwood floor in my kitchen does every summer.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Hokiemill

Hey Tammy, I don't have any experience or knowledge of this stuff but it intrigued me enough to do some google work.  Here is a link to a company that sells thermo treated wood (http://www.westwoodcorporation.com/products.htm).  There are a couple pdf files on this page that give some good information.  Especially the 66 page handbook.  I'm also sending a question about thermo treating to a friend of mine who is a professor at Virginia Tech, who specializes in wood and wood adhesion.

solidwoods

I vote Bull Plop.
Properly dried wood will act the same after it is dried no matter how it was dried.
Euros value enviro so much they like to believe a bunch (I lived in Italy and Germany for 7yrs)
The reason your flooring is expanding/contracting is because of exposure to moisture variances (wood 101).
You on a slab or crawl space?
Either way the floor is being exposed to moisture in the summer and low humidity in the winter (unless radiant floor, that's another story)
Was your flooring kiln dried?
Crawl space ventilated well?
Slab moisture barrier?
Foundation got much land uphill from it (water running down hill must pass by or through)?
Even gutters that don't run water down hill away from a slab can wet the slab.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

serg

Hello friends!
Technology westwood the big temperature of processing of a tree do(make) Russian guys in America and Canada. I know them. 2 chambers work. Such installations work in Russia. Analogue Finland Thermowood.
Den, I have changed the name "Thermovac"?
After high processing stable humidity of 4.8 % has a wood, there are no insects, a mould, a mushroom. Look page of my site.
http://www.vacuums.ru/index.php Pine, larch 4.8 - 5.0 %.
My technology does not copy Thermowood and Westwood. The wood should have humidity 5 - 6 % are not present a marriage(spoilage). Humidity a wood of 8-12 % a marriage(spoilage), bad work.
What does(makes) Thermovac? Dries from humidity of 50 % - 5 - 6 % then technology of high temperature of processing of a wood 180 C.
Thermowood and Westwood the technology dries a wood can not, in it there is a problem. I did(made) two technologies in one chamber of drying of a wood. There is a beautiful result.
Den. In Moscow the person from New Zealand has arrived. Had conversation on processings a pine so it is a lot of problems in construction of a house from N.Zelandija of a pine. You were there. There is a problem on preservation of a pine from to decay, a mould, bugs? I did(made) a sample of a pine in drying "Thermovac". A problem of protection a pine from N.Zelandii prospect not chemistry and thermo processing.
I still badly speak on English. Forgive me.
Sergey.

serg

serg

The dream became a reality.

Cinema a decor a wood from Thermovac.
Serg

ellmoe

Quote from: serg on September 05, 2008, 09:50:40 AM
Hello friends!
My technology does not copy Thermowood and Westwood. The wood should have humidity 5 - 6 % are not present a marriage(spoilage). Humidity a wood of 8-12 % a marriage(spoilage), bad work.
Sergey.

Perhaps I can make this a little easier to understand. Where the translation shows  "marriage(spoilage)" think flaw or flaws. So, the wood with 5-6% humidity does not have flaws. Apparently the Russian word equivalent to flaw also means marriage. :D I'm not touching that with a ten foot peavy. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

beenthere

And along the line of ellmoe's explanation, marriage could mean laminated or joined, with or without flaws, voids, or warp. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thermodecking

Quote from: Tamiam on August 03, 2008, 10:31:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about it?

Yes I do. We also produce this. May I be in any assistance?

serg

Africa wood. Jatoba , Khaya, Lacewood, Purpleheart/ T=180 C.
Every day  humidity = 3.0 % - 4.8 %.

Thermodecking

3/4x9'', solid floor, FSC red oak, thermo T=450°F  smiley_christmas

Den Socling

hi Sergey,

Have you been to New Zealand? They grow radiata pine like a field of corn. I hope you can get your process accepted in N.Z.

And, even if your English isn't perfect, it is still far better than my Russian!

Happy holidays,
Den

serg

Den, hi
I New Zealand was not. The guy in Moscow from New Zealand. It has brought a pine, I did thermo. You for a long time did not see at the American forum.
Happy New year to the American guys.
Greetings to your family.
Sergey.

Thank You Sponsors!