iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking to make stump chipper/grinder head

Started by maple flats, August 02, 2008, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I have a piece of equipment that is mounted to one of my tractors called a weed badger. It is a hydraulically powered horizontal shaft tiller that in controlled outward and inward with a joy stick. I have a large number of  stumps that I wish to remove because they interfere with smooth operation of the tiller head, making it jump a lot as it hits the stumps. These stumps are from trees that grew in the rows before I retired and I am now trying to clear the rows.
My idea as I was tilling today was if I could come up with some sort of grinder,chipper to cut these stumps at or just below ground lever. The tiller mounts on a vertically mounted hyd motor and turns about 200 rpm. It has enough power to push the tractor sideways and is very heavy duty for the task. Is there any sort of head I could mount to this moter with cutters/grinders/chipper teeth attached to do the job. The motor has a 1" shaft and is made to handle tiller heads up to 24". These heads will eventually rip out a stump but it needs to kill the stump and let it rot a little before it eventually grabs hold and yanks it out. I want to speed up the process with some automation. Cutting the stumps at ground level with a chain saw is slow and requires frequent sharpening. Does any one have any ideas? I was even thinking possibly a real heavy saw blade that could survive the dirt might work. I have the resources to get a spindle made if needed to mount to the motor to mount a cutter of some type to. I would be cutting essentially level with the ground.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Fla._Deadheader

Basic stump grinder head is a steel disc 1" think or more, that runs like a saw blade. There are uneven rows of "Tool steel" type bits clamped to the disc. Probably a softer type of carbide, to prevent chipping the tools. Teeth are staggered so you get multiple strike zones, and literally, chew the stump to shreds. Start on the side nearest the machine and work back toward the opposite side. Might even call around and price one, or look on ebay ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

maple flats

I went to eBay and bid on a set of teeth on one bid and a small blade on another bid. Right now I have the bid on the set of teeth, which I think has better potential. If i get it I will need to come up with a heavy disc to attach the teeth to. I am thinking about 1" thick and 16-24" diameter which I could get an arbor made to attach it directly to the motor shaft. The shaft seems to be rugged because in using it in tilling, which the tiller head is mounted directly to the shaft, I often push the tractor sideways when it hits a stump. I am still looking for more ideas.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Rocky_J

Perhaps calling around and finding somebody who owns a stump grinder to grind the stumps for you might be less expensive than trying to re-invent the technology by attempting to build your own machine.

http://www.vermeer.com/vcom/EnvironmentalEquipment/Model.jsp?PrdlnID=3610&ModID=53253

maple flats

most conventional stump grinders could not get the stumps that are nearly touching the or are touching the bush root system without damaging the bush itself. If I make one I could slowly swing the cutter head into place in a horizontal position until it met but did not touch the roots of the bush. The grinders i have seen all work from behind the stump and the operator has to come down on them, in my case the mature producing bush is where they would have to swing and cut. I can't have that. My way I could see exactly what was happening and would have excellent control of the cutter position. If i can't come up with such a method I will continue to remove them with the chainsaw and might even try a carbide chain but the bar would still have heavy wear on it. I have about a thousand to remove and if I thought a traditional stump grinder would do the trick I would buy one and sell it when done if I thought I didn't want it any longer.

maple flats

Maybe I should clarify "stumps". I have stumps ranging up to about 12-14" diameter. This does not mean any trunks were 14" but on some clusters of multi-stem trees, which there were many, because I had cut them off many times but never removed them and most re-grew new trees. As i recently cut the tops as low to the ground as I could so my tiller I had bought to keep things clear could operate, some stumps were that large. The tiller will eventually kill the stump from just beating the stump up and then after the stump breaks down some the tiller yanks it out. I just want to speed up this process. Since I bought my tiller, (look at www.weedbadger.com    model 4200, I bought it the first year they made a model sized for my tractor, which was small enough to fit down my rows) I have already in 3 seasons since buying the weedbadger cut and maintained the rows except for the stumps problem on about 3.75 acres, about 3/4 acre to go. The badger has already yanked out many of the stumps up to about 4-5" diameter from the first year i started using it and some of them from last years cutting. This season I have made much more progress because I have hired a temporary full time man to help clear the trees out and chip them. I have told him I can only afford 2 more weeks and he has already lined up another job. I may also keep him part time for a few more weeks after that.

beenthere

Interesting project, for sure.

Please post some pics and also let us in on what species/kind of bushes you are trying to work around.

Which of the several heads do you have, from the slide show of the weed badgers?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

maple flats

I am working around 4.5 acres of blueberries at about 1000 bushes / acre. If I end up making a chipper I will try getting pics, maybe even a short video. I was planning on getting a vidoe camera for making up a video for my maple presentations I give in schools.

maple flats

I didn't get the bid on the stump grinder teeth. I will try to find others.

Wallys World

I have recently switched the brand of teeth on my stump grinder and have an extra set of used Rayco teeth. A set is 6 straight (3 left, 3 right) and 12 angled (6 left, 6 right). Half are counter bored and half are threaded to bolt thru the cutter disc.  $54 for the whole set, let me know if you are interested.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Wallys World

If you do buy them I'll donate $25 to the Forum!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

maple flats

Yes, I'll take them, if they are carbide and in usable condition. Could you send me a picture? What thickness blade do they bolt to? Do they bolt thru the plate or do they need mounts? If these questions are answered favorably I will buy them. I can get a blade made to fit my machine to attach these teeth to. What diameter blade is your machine, without teeth mounted?

Wallys World

Maple Flats, I sent you a PM.

A few views of the Rayco RG 1625 Super Jr. stump grinder in action.

Wallys World

Here are pictures of Rayco teeth

The 1st photo is a complete set, 2nd photo is a close up of an angled tooth, 3rd is a close up of a straight tooth, and the 4th is how they bolt to the disc. My disc is 18 inches in diameter, 1/2 inch thick. Bolts not included.

maple flats

I will take them, PM me with details, price with shipping to 13421 and How you want the check made out, and where to send it. Then you can ship them when you get the check.
I figure they will work good enough to confirm my idea will work. Then I can either re tip or buy new as needed but will not have to buy new to find out if the idea will fly. Thanks.
Dave

maple flats

I should have the teeth coming my way soon. Next I will find a 1/2" or thicker steel disc at least 16" in diameter. Then I will be ready to make the grinder. A friend will weld it up for me (the disc and the mount shaft to the hydraulic motor) Then I will need to try it out.

woodhick

Are you going to mount the disc straight to the hydraulic motor?, or does the motor drive it by belt or chain?   I built my own a few years back and used a 20hp motor that belt drove the cutterhead.   Worked ok, but found a great deal on a used Rayco unit that was much bigger so dismantled the old homemade one.   My disc was 16" diameter and 1/2" thick.   I bored the center out to take a QD bushing to mount it on a 1 1/2" shaft with bearings.   I used Vermeer pockets and teeth but the hole spacing is the same for the Rayco teeth as I have pulled the ones off of my homemade unit and used them on my bigger Rayco.  I may consider selling the cutterhead disc if you are interested?   I plan on selling the Rayco after I get my place cleaned up and not sure I want to go completely without one so that is why I was saving the old cutterhead.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

maple flats

PM me, how much do you want for the 16" x 1/2" thick disc? I may be interested. I plan to weld a mount shaft to the disc that would mount directly to the motor. My motor has a 1" shaft with a shear bolt hole that the disc would mount to (this is how the cultivator currently attaches, on a shaft about 8-10" long) The motor can be pivoted hydraulically thru an arc of about 40-50 degrees and the position can be swiveled 360 degrees manually so I can set it in any position I find works best and within that setting I can swivel the motor the 40-50 degrees hydraulically while in use. I think it will work best with the motor vertical and the cutter disc with the teeth then about level and hydraulically I would tilt the leading edge down slightly and just grind off the stump where i want it and pick up any large top cut loose to dispose of. However i could try several different ways if that does not work as well as i think it will. For one thing I have no down pressure except for the weight, which i could add to if needed but I have a hydraulic cylinder  that gives me inward and outward force while the head is spinning to make the cut.

Fla._Deadheader

What about side deflection if the "Blade" bogs or gets stuck ???  Do you have the weight to keep the machine from deflecting to the side from contact with the stump ???

Just things I have noticed, watching stump grinders.  ??? ???  They also turn up pretty fast RPM's  ???

I almost tried building one in the last century.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!