iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas winch chain replacement

Started by Hokiemill, August 01, 2008, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

A couple days ago the winch chain inside the green winch housing broke on my Lucas swingmill.  I called Baileys for a price on a replacement chain.  It was a fair price, but I would like to replace the chains in both winches as well as the longer chains that actually raise/lower the tracks and that starts to add up.  I thought the dimensions of an ansi 35 roller chain were the same but when I bought some I found that it wasn't exactly the same and wouldn't fit perfectly around the winch gear.

Anyone have any experience replacing the chains and any suitable alternative chains that can be bought in bulk at lower costs?  Thanks.

olyman

would think it would be a common chain size---tractor supply--farm fleet, or any implement dealer----or burdens surplus out of s.dak---

brdmkr

Would it work just to replace the link or is the chain too worn for that?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Any thought that it might be metric roller chain?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hokiemill

I took dimensions off the existing chain and looked at all the chains in Grainger and had them order the #35 for me.  I'm starting to believe it's a metric chain and I can't find any local to compare to.  I don't know if I trust ordering some sight-unseen after I wasted money doing the same on the #35.  Yes, the chain has to be replaced and I'm pretty sure the other one does as well.  It is really rusted and I can see a couple other small cracks at some of the pins in the chain.  I was hoping someone else had already replaced theirs and could give me a size/model/etc. to order online.

Captain

06B Metric roller Chain is used on Peterson and is very close in size (by the eye) to #35.

How much do you need?  We've got some.

Captain

Hokiemill

Captain,

Your timing is good.  Through my research I had come to the conclusion that 06b might be the right answer.  The pitch is the same as #35, but the rollers are bigger and that's probably enough to make it fit.  A question for you - the links on my chain are straight-sided.  I think they refer to the profile of most links as "waisted" where they squeeze in a bit.  I'm guessing the straight sides make the links stronger.  If yours are waisted then I'm guessing they are strong enough for lifting a mill?  Price?

Captain

Randy, missed the post sorry.  The price is over $4 a foot and it is not treated.  Let me know if you need help.

Captain

Dan_Shade

just tossing an idea into the hat, how difficult is it to change the sprockets so you can use a regular chain?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Hokiemill

Dan - probably not too hard for someone who can weld, but I can't so I'm going to pursue chain options.  Captain, I go on vacation this upcoming week.  I'm going to go ahead and order the Lucas chain so I'll have an absolutely, positively workable answer when I get back, but I'll talk with you more when I return to get a long term answer.

Thanks for the help guys.  Maybe I'll come up with other solutions while drinking a margarita with my toes shoved in the sand  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!