iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Harvesting Urban Timber"

Started by tyb525, August 01, 2008, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Recently I stopped at Rockwell to buy some things, and they had this book called "Harvesting Urban Timber" by Sam Sherrill. He had stopped by the day before and signed a few copies. I got one of them. I'm sure some of you have read it already read it, but for someone who isn't familiar with this concept, and/or sawmilling in general, I think it is a good read. Recommended.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Riles

Got one myself. I think a lot of folks on the forum are working on/off business models based on that book.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

metalspinner

I read that book. And it is a good overview of the entire process.  However, I have learned more efficient ways of handling logs and circumstances by reading here on The Forum. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

I would have to agree, metalspinner. Thank goodness for FF.  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ironwood

Never heard of it. I must be reinventing the wheel. ISBN?

Thanks, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Daren

Quote from: Ironwood on August 02, 2008, 10:20:58 PM
Never heard of it. I must be reinventing the wheel.

I had been doing exactly what the book says for 4 years before I heard of it  ::)(I thumbed through it awhile back) I wish I would have written it...the proceeds would pay for more bands to hit nails with  :D.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ironwood

This has happened to me on several occasions (reinventing the wheel), parbuckling, highlining, cutting and keeping stacks in boule form. I have found that it is common for me to go "ho, there is a name for this"?? Interesting.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Quote from: Daren on August 03, 2008, 08:41:12 AM

I had been doing exactly what the book says for 4 years before I heard of it  ::)(I thumbed through it awhile back) I wish I would have written it...the proceeds would pay for more bands to hit nails with  :D.

Yea, I would just ignore the "urban" part and apply the rest to "clean" forest trees.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Ironwood on August 03, 2008, 08:41:10 PM
This has happened to me on several occasions (reinventing the wheel), parbuckling, highlining, cutting and keeping stacks in boule form. I have found that it is common for me to go "ho, there is a name for this"?? Interesting.

Parbuckling...Yep, I was also surprised when I found out that the method I used to load big logs onto my trailer had a name.  Of course, I learned the name here. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ely

i also learned that parbuckleing was a real name on here after having done it for serveral umpteen years. after that i was afraid to read much more on the site. :o

Tam-i-am

what a coincidence as Sam called me today so I checked out his website and suggested he look into the FF.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

tyb525

I'm surprised he isn't a member already.

red

Has anyone else read this book ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Lostinmn

I haven't but your question popped it up, so I ordered off amazon as it was only 7 bucks.  Figured it couldn't hurt!!

Thank You Sponsors!