iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hookaroon: LogRite vs northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company

Started by John Mc, July 31, 2008, 11:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference between the LogRite 30 inch hookaroon
and this northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Hookaroon ?  (Hey! I finally figured out how to link to a different text than is displayed!)

I'm all for buying quality tools, but for $27 vs $49 I have to wonder if there is a difference... especially since the northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company product description is obviously copied from the LogRite site.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Fla._Deadheader

They also copied the tool, along with the Cant hooks.

Support the FF Sponsor, NOT the cheap Chinese knockoffs. 
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Buying the northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company cheap ass knockoffs is a slap in the face to the Forum and Logrite tools and a slap at America if you know the whole deal and buy one anyhow. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company are cheap fakes. This has been posted about before. Crappola and Crud and a bunch of words my own censored words would pick up if I typed what I really felt about the rip off pieces of junk.

Anyone that buys a northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company copy of LogRite's tools, after being told they are ripoffs deserves to get his ass broke when the tool fails.

Now, ya want me to tell ya what I REALLY REALLY THINK? ;D  It'll have to be in person as this is a family site.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SeeSaw

I agree totally with FDH nad Jeff on this one.  I've seen to much of our work leave this country because they pay cheap nothing wages in other countries.  Our economy and our people have taken such a hit and there is no end in sight.  I absolutely will not buy something from a foreign country if I have a choice in the matter. Please go for the Logrite and support America.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

John Mc

Whoa... calm down guys, I just asked. I'm relatively new here, and have not seen the discussions on various tool makers. I followed a link given to me by a friend of mine when I was asking about something to help me avoid screwing up my back again. He gave me the name of the tool, and mentioned that NT sold them. After looking at NT's site, I came here, followed the LogRite link, and had to ask the question.

With the description obviously copied from LogRite's web site, I had to wonder if they were selling re-badged LogRite hookaroons bought on a special order or something. Since LogRite's description has a copyright notice on that page, I assumed NT had permission to use it. If it was a re-badged LogRite, I would probably buy it. NT is obviously hoping their description will cause people to assume that is the case. Since from your response, I gather it is not, I'll buy the LogRite. The information here on this site has done me a world of good (a whole lot more than the $20 difference). If LogRite is helping make that possible, I want to support them. Still, I do wonder what exactly the difference is... substandard materials? poor construction?

If any of you have a connection at LogRite, you might point out the obviously pirated description... then they can go spank NT for stealing copyrighted material.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

See Saw -

Your post came in as I was typing mine. I agree with your sentiment. However, I won't support junk no matter where it is made, US or overseas. There is a lot of junk coming out of China and other places. There is also a lot of crap made right here in the USA. Happily, LogRite is not one of those companies.

I do think there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, it comes too late for a lot of American jobs. The weak dollar has helped a lot of US companies become more competitive (an investment expert friend of my father's has been saying for about 15 years that the dollar was unsustainably high... so he'd say the dollar is not weak now, it's where it should be). A manufacturer of wooden toys just down the road from me has had a record year. It seems their main competition was from China. With all the scare about lead-based paint, the shortcuts taken by some Chinese companies are coming home to haunt them. This guy makes quality stuff, and the US consumers are finally starting to appreciate it.

John Mc

Jeff

They know about it. :)

The northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company are absolutely inferior. I use to have a video here of a cant hook copy that was purchased just to see what they were made of.  It was tested on a froze down log and the handle bent.  The northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company are absolute copies other then materials and workmanship.   No offense meant toward you John Mc.  We just always want to be as clear as clear can be when it comes to this topic on the Forestry Forum. LogRite tools are built to last and are a great great tool. The chinese versions will get you hurt.

CLL

John Mc, I broke and old wooden cant hook I had, and since I needed one immediately, I bought a cheap hook. MISTAKE, after about an hour of moving small logs, it bent and almost caused me to get hurt. I bout a LOGRITE and even thought it was considerably higher than the cheap ones , its the best value I ever bought. The way people should look at it buy a quality product to last for years and years, or knockoffs that will last weeks and get you hurt.
Too much work-not enough pay.

DanG

John Mc, welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you asked the question! :) 8) :) 8)  NT's blatant hijacking of Logrite's good name has been a sore subject around here for a while now.  It has perpetrated a virtual boycott of NT by most of our members. ;D  I still get their catalogues, and look through them, but they'll not be getting any of my money! >:(

On the other hand, I and many many more FF members can personally vouch for Logrite in just about any aspect you care to think of.  We know their products, how they do business, and we know them personally.  We even know their kids!  I can say without the slightest reservation that they are the Cream of the Crop!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

timberfaller390

Dixie Industries, manufacturers of cant hooks peavies hookaroons and etc. is just up north of me in Chattanooga. I bought a NT cant hook with a good wooden handle to save a few bucks and it looked like a quality tool but the point of the hook has such a thick round taper that you had to drive it into a log for every turn and it was bad to slip. I should have bought a Dixie (and I will very soon)
P.S. nothing against Logrite I just like tools with wooden handles.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ed

The quality of a Logrite tool is second to none! Good products.

I would suggest actually getting your hands on the hookeroon before buying. I found the handle was to big in diameter for me, it just wasn't comfortable.

Ed

Jeff

Quote from: timberfaller390 on July 31, 2008, 02:33:07 PM
I should have bought a Dixie (and I will very soon)
P.S. nothing against Logrite I just like tools with wooden handles.

I'll credit that to your age and level of experience. ;)  Get a little more of each and the dixie will become a wall hanger. Do yourself a favor and do a side by side comparison in a real working environment before you waste your money.

woody1

My wife got me a logrite for christmas. My helper at the mill wouldn't even look at it. He would only use the wooden cant. Lately I've been hiding the logrite, just to here him say "where's that blue thing".  :D :D
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Corley5

I ordered a 48" canthook and log scales from Timber Pro a couple days ago.  I'm going to retire my wooden handled hook I use for turning logs on the carriage and have been lusting after one of their log scales for a longtime so I bought two an International and a Scribner  ;) ;D  I wouldn't consider any other log handling tools  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

John Mc

Quote from: Ed on July 31, 2008, 03:09:53 PM
I would suggest actually getting your hands on the hookeroon before buying. I found the handle was to big in diameter for me, it just wasn't comfortable.

I'd like to, but I don't know anyone around here with one. I wear a medium sized glove, so it sounds as though this will be too big for me to use comfortably. Bummer.

John Mc

Reddog

Quote from: John Mc on July 31, 2008, 06:04:13 PM
Quote from: Ed on July 31, 2008, 03:09:53 PM

I'd like to, but I don't know anyone around here with one. I wear a medium sized glove, so it sounds as though this will be too big for me to use comfortably. Bummer.

John Mc

John, To me  they are a good size and I use a med to large glove. Call and talk to Logrite. They will have some insite into the sizing also.

Tom

I find the handle quite comfortable. If it were smaller, it would twist in your hand like a broomstick.  When you are using it to pick up the end of a slab or pulp log, it's good to have something healthy to hang onto.

I like council's Hookeroons too.  But, their handle is much like an axe handle.  It helps to let your mind know where the hook is pointed, but, because of the flat surfaces, you have to twist your hand.  There's good points and lesser good points, but when it comes to bending over, the tool is a God Send.

timberfaller390

Quote from: Jeff on July 31, 2008, 03:17:34 PM

I'll credit that to your age and level of experience. ;)  Get a little more of each and the dixie will become a wall hanger. Do yourself a favor and do a side by side comparison in a real working environment before you waste your money.
I guess I'll have a purty living room decoration in a few years then. :D ;D ;)
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Tom

I like Dixie canthooks too.  They are good equipment. The duckbill points are there for a reason, but you have to know how to draw out a point if you want the tool to have much longevity.  The breadth of the point is to keep it from tearing out of soft woods.  It works for that pretty good and doesn't go so deep that it gets locked in the wood. 

Around the mill, I still like the configuration of the Logrite points.  They are narrow, penetrate bark good and hold when you lift the handle. So many people jerk the handles and try to throw the logs rather than roll them that they don't understand why the different points don't work all of the time.   I've tried to work with people who do this and they try to do all of the work, leaving me standing there with a hook in my hand.  That's how you get hurt, or hurt someone else.

If I couldn't get a Logrite, Dixie would still be my choice.   If you take your time, both tools are excellent.

Wooden handles will weather.  The fasteners of the Dixie's will come loose when the wood handle softens.  When they fail, it is usually all at once.  Sometimes the slivers of the broken handle are very dangerous and nothing to be rolling with on the ground. 

I can understand one's desire to use a wooden handle.  I like wood axe handles better than fiberglass.  Still, for a tool with a lifetime guarantee that is light and works, Logrite is second to none.

Ed_K

Ive had my hookaroon for a couple yrs now and it still sharp and in decent shape from hard use. If you want to drop down to just below Brattleboro, you try out mine. Hook cant an axe  ;) .
Ed K

CLL

John Mc, just for your information, I have small hands and the Logrite does well for me. The grips make it so easy to use.
Too much work-not enough pay.

John Mc

Just ordered a 30" LogRite hookaroon through Bailey's.

John Mc

ADAMINMO

Good call ... You did the right thing!!! You will not be disappointed.

crtreedude

Just to throw in my dos colones, living in one of those cheap work places, we only use Logrite. Pete brought one down once, and we have been buying them every since.

Given that I have to pay for shipping here, customs and such, it will tell you what I think of them. And I think I just might have a riot if I suggested anything else... of course I am tempted to order some pink ones just to see the reaction...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

jokers

I`ve got a LogRite cant hook that is 60" or so long and it is a dandy tool, I`ve really reefed on it but I haven`t had it long enough to know if the extra price over a quality woodhandled tool is justified. One big advantage to the LogRite if you are accustomed to leaving your hook out in the weather is that the handle shouldn`t deteriorate like a wooden handle but my wood handled tools have always lasted for years.

I understand and appreciate wholeheartedly the negative sentiments directed at NT for their promotion of piracy, I`m right there with everyone else who has spoken out on the matter, but it seems that there was a general wolf packing of John for essentially asking what the quality difference was and what justifies the price difference. Then Timberfaller390 was belittled and spoken down to for stating his preference for wood handled tools. Sometimes this forum takes on the atmosphere of paid for infomercials.

BTW, I`ve got big hands, big enough to be notable to many people apparently, and I find the LogRite handles to be kinda on the large side, but also acknowledge that they have to be or the tubing would bend too easily. What sense does it make to deny that they are on the large side?

Thank You Sponsors!