iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do borers weaken wood?

Started by brdmkr, July 30, 2008, 11:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Actually, I suppose I know that they do, but I am wondering if I need to be concerned about them given my intended application.

I am in the process of building a lean-to off of my shop for my tractor and a few implements.  I figure I will need to span about 12 feet with a 2 foot or so overhang beyond my posts.  So, I picked out a couple of 16 foot SYP logs and sawed up some 2x6s.  However, the logs had borers going all the way to the heartwood.  Other than their tunnels the wood seems OK.  I intend to place the rafters on 2' centers with 1x4 lathing and galvalume on top.  Given the light weight of the roof, is there any need to worry about the tunnels?  I know that I am spanning a bit much for a 2x6, but I am hoping that I won't have any appreciable problems given the light weight of the roofing material.  Am I off in my thinking?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

I hope not because I plan on doing the same thing. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Disclaimer: Since I'm no structural engineer, take my comment as opinion only and your taking all the risk, while I am not liable or obligated in any way.  ;)

Unless it's full of holes like Swiss cheese, punky and stringy like a pumpkin and gooshy like a sponge, go for it.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I really don't know either.Do you have enough 2X6's to build 16" on center?That would help on your concerns.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moonhill

When engineering Timbers for a frame one should keep in mind the peg hole, for you have now severed the fibers running through the length of the beam and it is now weaker, I am assuming borers the size of a small finger are doing the same thing.  Over size the 2x stock?  See attached disclaimer.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

tcsmpsi

Well, none of my stuff has fallen down around my head.   :D

Not sure how tied in you are to running 1X4 lath, but I believe you would be happier running 2X4.  It'll help tie your rafters together, giving them a bit more strength, especially since you're 'stretching' them a bit.  Whole lot better for holding screws/nails, and working on.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

beenthere

brdmkr
A pic or two of the borer holes would be helpful.

If you still have continuous grain (fibers) along the tension edge of the joist/rafter, (similar to grain required in structural grading) then you should be ok. If the borer holes remove wood along that tension edge, and are similar to cutting a notch along the edge, then the width of the 2x6 is comprimised, and reduced strength is the result.

If concerned, you might consider doubling up the 2x6's, and gluing/screwing them so they share the load.

Again, pics would be helpful for discussion.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brdmkr

Quote from: tcsmpsi on July 31, 2008, 07:43:44 AM
Well, none of my stuff has fallen down around my head.   :D

Not sure how tied in you are to running 1X4 lath, but I believe you would be happier running 2X4.  It'll help tie your rafters together, giving them a bit more strength, especially since you're 'stretching' them a bit.  Whole lot better for holding screws/nails, and working on.

I was just thinking that the 1x4 would be lighter and I have a bunch that I likely won't use for anything else ;) 

beenthere,  it may be a while before I can get pics, but I'll try to put some up before I begin construction.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

beenthere

Quote from: brdmkr on July 31, 2008, 10:25:19 AM
beenthere,  it may be a while before I can get pics, but I'll try to put some up before I begin construction.

I was just thinking you might be looking for some direction prior to beginning construction, and pics could help.
As to the answer to your question in the title...it would be Yes and No.    :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brdmkr

beenthere,

You are correct.  I will be sure to post some pics before I begin.  I'd post some now if I could steal away some time to visit my sticker pile.

Thank You Sponsors!