iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Brokers????

Started by KjBarnwood, July 30, 2008, 03:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

Has or does anyone deal with wood brokers?  If so, what is the good and bad?  I have dealt with some guys who broker only reclaimed wood with mixed results.  Some of my highest prices have come from them, and some of my biggest headaches as well. 

Also, can anyone reccomend a few, in the PA area? - PM me if you want

Keith

SwampDonkey

I can only speak of the marketing board system we have here in NB. It is a form of wood brokerage of primary forest products (timber). It is non-profit and run by woodlot owners with elected directors. Also, it is overseen by representatives from government, industry and private sectors called a the Forest Products Commission.

The good points,

- contracted volumes where everyone contributes. *In the past it was catered more to quota holders, but that system has been abandoned.

- higher price for product

- local markets are known and can be obtained by a phone call. Don't have to do your own research.

- some of the collected levies go back into forest management activities. A regular broker rarely contributes to such activities.

- woodlot management services are cheaper

- administer a provincial silviculture program for small woodlots.

- education

Bad points are few, but some might think because of cheaper management services it has the potential to put a consultant out of business. What I say to that is, if the demand was even 10 % of the land base, then the staff at a marketing board couldn't possibly cover the ground. So, one can draw the conclusion that most people are satisfied with what they have or are not interested in paying out of pocket for management activities even if it's subsidized.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Are you looking for brokers in reclaimed wood or in fresh lumber?  We sell all our grade lumber to wholesalers.  We have no headaches, since these guys always pay on time.  Some of the them will pick up, some need to be delivered.  They grade and pay on their grade, which is usually fair.  If it isn't they don't get any more wood.

I have never had any problems with wholesalers.  You have to know what their specs are, and cut accordingly. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

KjBarnwood

I am looking for fresh cut wood broker.  I am thinking about switching gears from reclaimed wood to fresh timber, and would like to find some one to help sell what I get.  I see all these ads for lumber that they want sent overseas, but I realize that not all are on the up and up.  Any suggestions on where to look?

SAW MILLER

Ron,
  Where can I get names and numbers for lumber wholesalers?

LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Ron Wenrich

I don't know of any place that has a long list of lumber buyers.  You have to do some networking and some searching.  A good place to start is with the state forestry department.  Some of them have a list of secondary producers.  Quite often these guys are lumber wholesalers that will buy lumber and dry it.  They will then either sell as dried stock, or take it to another step.

I produce 2-4 trailerloads of grade per week.  So, we can usually find a home for everything we produce.  We have standing orders at several places, and the brokers are more like a phone call away. 

If you're not producing trailerload lots, you will have to have at least 1 Mbf before most guys will even take a sniff at you.  They want fresh cut stuff.  Some of the large mills are now into the lumber brokering business.  We have 2 mills in the area that produce 30+MMbf, and sell a lot more.  They just buy from smaller mills.

Other places to find broker information is through manufacturing associations.  You could stop into another mill and talk to the owner and see if he'll give you any advice.  Start to make a network by visiting mills and going on timber sales.  You don't have to buy timber, but you'll meet a lot of guys that can be pretty helpful.  Stop by a cabinet shop and see who they're buying from.  You might be able to sell direct, or go through a broker. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!