iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 272 vs 365 vs. 372

Started by rebocardo, July 29, 2008, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

Comparing my 365 to a 272 there are a few differences that pop right out. I will mention what I do not like.

272 has a clamp on filter, looks cheaper to buy, harder to change with the same clamp under the filter.

272 sprocket is under the clutch assembly, looks like the only way to change it is by impact gun or using a piston stop of some sort. Major hassles? I can't tell if it is left or right hand thread.

Getting the chain onto the 272 is harder then the 365.

Adjusting the chain is harder on the 272, especially since it is close to the hot muffler. That is the feature I dislike the most.

Oil and gas cap are two different sizes, the 365 they are both the same size and bigger. This makes pouring the oil easier into the 365.

I think the design of the 365 is more conductive to jamming if it hits a pair of chaps then the 272.

For whatever reason the 365 feels lighter, but, the 272 and 365 are too close in weight to measure, maybe the 272 weighs 3-4 oz. more. I have to fill both completely to be sure. I suspect because of the filter and clutch or because the 365 looks smoother and not boxy, it might just be all in the eye of the be"hold"er.

So, I do not know what the differences are between a 272 and 372, I suspect just modern looking curvy cases and easier to change air filter, chain, and rim and sprocket assembly. Plus, nicer oil caps.

From first looks I think how it grabs air for the carb is probably different too.

I might sell the 272, mostly because of how much tougher it is to change the chain.

The cord looks old on this 272, I usually use arborist yellow throw line for starter cords on lawn mowers, think it will get hot enough in the saw to melt?

No clutch brake on this saw, guess I have to buy one.

arojay

I can't remember, does the 272 have the fan driven air injection?(can't retrieve the Husqvarna name from my memory bank).  Since the recoil cord is on the cold side of the fan, I wouldn't think it would melt.  365 is a great saw, I've had a few.  372 has more jam but I burned up a few pistons until I learned to use higher octane.  Never had a problem since.  My current stable includes 365, 570(blah), 372, 385 and 394.   The 372 and 385 are most often in the truck though. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

rebocardo

I do not think it has the fan driven injection.

> 372 has more jam but I burned up a few pistons

Yea, that is the reason I run 40:1 and high test. I rather do a little carbon clean up and a new spark plug then replace a piston or crank.

I decided to sell the 272 just because the parts are not interchangeable with the 365. I change my bar and chains a lot some days and the easy side chain access is a big deal to me.

SawTroll

The basic design of the 272xp is from 1976 (162se), and there is no "Air Injection".

The 372xp and 365 are based on the 371xp, introduced late 1995.

The first Husky with "Air Injection" was the 262xp, 1989.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!