iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Timer

Started by woodhaven, July 29, 2008, 06:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

Gentlemen:
I haven't posted in quite a while because it looked like the site was going to be for bandsaw mills only.  But, I see here lately that a number of guys are rebuilding what I'll refer to as a real sawmill.  I have never stopped reading the articles on this site, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.  I am some kind of glad to see all of this circle mill talk and renovations.  Just so you know, I'm still here, just taking a back seat.   8)

Richard
Richard

Burlkraft

Well Richard,

Ya need stop that Gentlemen stuff and hop up here in the front seat and grab the wheel fer a spell   ;D  ;D  :)  :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Welcome back Woodhaven!  Those bandmill fellas are a yappy bunch.  I figger it's because they got more problems than the circle sawyers. ;D  Ya just gotta barge in with some circle saw news every now and then.  After all, sawing is sawing, no matter what shape your blade tends to take. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

yep, they all do the same thing, just slightly differently
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Quote from: DanG on July 29, 2008, 10:12:36 PM
Welcome back Woodhaven!  Those bandmill fellas are a yappy bunch.  I figger it's because they got more problems than the circle sawyers. ;D   Ya just gotta barge in with some circle saw news every now and then.  After all, sawing is sawing, no matter what shape your blade tends to take. ;)

Maybe its because we got more fingers to type with...  ::)  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Their all good, but theirs something about  watching that log feed through the big blade,hearing the diesel come up on the governor and feeling the wind and mist off the saw.Gig it back reset it on the move and watch those boards peal off.If you buy right and restore an old circle mill yourself it can be the cheapest mill you can buy,besides I just love heavy dangerous moving machinery,with sharp edges.Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thedeeredude

Do we have anyone that runs a sash saw?  I think there;s a guy in New York that has a sash mill, I don't know if hes on the forum or not though.  Found him

http://www.traditional-building.com/brochure/members/sashsawn.shtml

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 30, 2008, 02:47:28 AM
Quote from: DanG on July 29, 2008, 10:12:36 PM
Welcome back Woodhaven!  Those bandmill fellas are a yappy bunch.  I figger it's because they got more problems than the circle sawyers. ;D   Ya just gotta barge in with some circle saw news every now and then.  After all, sawing is sawing, no matter what shape your blade tends to take. ;)

Maybe its because we got more fingers to type with...  ::)  ;D

Hey Bibbyman. Ive still got all my fingers after 15 years  ;D . all saws can catch the complacent  :o sawyer . Id buy another bandsaw for some of the work I do. but most of the work I do is high volume low to medium grade pine . or custom sawing old HARDWOOD warf piles that will blunt a band in 1 to 4 cuts .
so its Horses for courses for Me. Ill just stick with Meadows for now 8)

reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 30, 2008, 06:13:03 AM
Their all good, but theirs something about  watching that log feed through the big blade,hearing the diesel come up on the governor and feeling the wind and mist off the saw.Gig it back reset it on the move and watch those boards peal off.If you buy right and restore an old circle mill yourself it can be the cheapest mill you can buy,besides I just love heavy dangerous moving machinery,with sharp edges.Frank C.

gday BM2

What IM NOT THE ONLY ONE Mate  ;)  :D :D :D

HooRoo Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tom1

Richard,

I'm new here on this site but have been reading the posts for some time now. I acquired an old Frick 00 mill last winter. My plans are to get it up and running but for now its a yard ornament  :o while I replace the wood on the car. Everything works on it, just needs a blade, motor and make a good foundation to bolt it too. In the mean time while I fix it up I'll keep using my chainsaw mill  ;).

Cheers,

Tom
MS660, MS310, Frick 00

Toolman

Hey Woodhaven!!

My granddad(may he rest in peace) had an old frick sawmill and laughed when I introduced the band mill to him. After I bought my first bandmill(timberking) he was pretty impressed, which meant alot to me.  Like bandmiller2 says, if you can get that mill up and runnin you will have less headaches then us bandmillers. I'm committed to Portable service due to communist zoning laws. I can't cut on my property full time, even though my grandpap cut on this property for a living. go figure. Welcome back to forum my friend!!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ron Wenrich

Are you zoned residential?  If you're zoned agricultural, you should be OK.  At least that's the way it used to be.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Tom1,I thought that headsaw of yours looked a little strange.Talk to local sawyers and find out who hammers their blades those guys almost always have or know of good used headsaws.If you find one be sure bits and shanks are still available.Big old farm tractors make pretty good mill power for occasional use,the rest of the time handy for outher stuff.Try to do a little on the mill every day even if its just digging one foundation hole,or painting one piece.Frank C.

Tom1

Frank,

So you like my custom saw blade? I made it myself! Don't think it will cut very well though... I got board one day and cut a four foot circle out of a piece of plywood, painted it and bolted it on. Looks much better now. Four foot is not quite big enough for this saw. Doesn't reach the saw guide. I talked with the man who used to own/operate it and he said it uses a 54-56" blade. He had already sold all his blades when I acquired the saw and he did his own hammering. I spoke with him for a few hours about the saw, how he cut, what he cut, hammering, etc.. A very nice gentleman. A friend of mine bought the property the saw was on and told me if I removed it I could have it. The rest is history. I have a new project. Having a chainsaw mill I figured this circle saw should cut down on the milling time. But I'm sure the maintenance will make up for that. I like old equipment and the history that goes with it. I tinker with it when I get the chance too and are slowly getting it back up to snuff. Last time it ran was 6 years ago. The owner said he used a 6cyl cummins to run the saw. What size PTO do you think I will need. My little tractor is only 12.5hp on the PTO. I don't think that will be quite enough. Thanks for the 'bits and shanks availability' info. Thats good to know!

Tom

MS660, MS310, Frick 00

Bro. Noble

Tom1,

Dad has a power unit and blade that would be plenty big for your mill.  Corley 5 has first dibbs on it as he has bought dad's old mill and a bunch of stuff that goes with it.  He's just waiting for the weather to warm up a little to come get it  :D :D :D  It's pretty toasty today here in Ozark Co.  and I'm just now heading to the hay field >:(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

woodhaven

Tom1,
You have a nice looking mill in the makings there.

Toolman,
I really don't mean to talk bad about a band mill
there is a place for them just not in my yard.
Richard

beenthere

Tom1
Your mill looks like a great project, and I hope will be a fun time for you.

If you don't have it already, a good source of circular saw info can be found here.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us-documnts-misc-circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom1

Thanks for the encouragement and help! I'm sure I'll need more as time goes. I have a lot to learn but thats part of the fun  8). I do have a copy of Lunstrum's book. Very good reading  :P.

Bro. Noble,
Yes, the Ozarks are a little toasty this week fire_smiley. Keep me in mind for the blade. 

Thanks,

Tom

MS660, MS310, Frick 00

bandmiller2

Tom1,12.5 hp won't carry the mail on a circle mill.A big old slow turning diesel is what you need,the type that were used in shovels and old cats,if the drone of a detroit diesel doesn't bother you their ok too.Large old farm tractors will work just a little slower,say farmall M and up or JD A and up.Frank C.

Toolman

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on August 04, 2008, 05:46:10 AM
Are you zoned residential?  If you're zoned agricultural, you should be OK.  At least that's the way it used to be.

Not anymore. I'm zoned agricultural/residential(they have a new name for it). I can cut all day for myself, but if I cut for others for profit on my property I'm in violation. I could apply for variance, but , it cost my neighbor nearly $5,000.00 to be able to put up sign to have a small motorcycle repair business. I have a sharpening business, but, not allowed to put up sign or have customers come and go unless I apply for variance. I have two friends that own businesses nearby and use their business as pickup/delivery for my customers. One is a hardware store and the other is a beer distributor. It works out for them as it draws people into their establishment who may buy something while they are there.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ron Wenrich

Are the farmers allowed to produce food for others for profit?  Seems to be the same kind of logic. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Toolman

All the land around our zoned strip is zoned agriculture, obviously they farm for profit. My property used to be zoned agriculture until mid to late 80's. Then they rezoned my portion along hard road with this new zoning classification that creates alot of hassle if you want to put up a sign or due business. My next door neighbor raises bees and sells honey and some vegetables out front. He had a small sign up and was told by zoning officer he would have to apply for variance to have people stop by and buy his products. That was 3 yrs ago. He ignored it and kept everything the same. Never heard another word again about it. It's funny, that zoning officers wife stops by about once a month to buy his honey!! He has been selling honey for over 40 yrs there now. My grandfather ran a small sawmill operation on my property for 37 yrs. The area has'nt changed much on our road in my 41 yrs. We keep our mouths shut about what our neighbors do. The only time zoning guy stops by is when a passing "do gooder" sees something that does'nt conform to regulations. We call them "nosey snitches". I cut alot on my property for myself and people I know. Other then that I prefer mobile. I don't need hassle of zoning guy showing up and asking alot of silly questions. He already made me take my sharpening service sign down because a passing motorist supposedly complained. I suspect he was the passing motorist. The sign was set back 10 ft from shoulder of road and 12" x 16". It was'nt obstructive in any way. I quess he wanted me to know he was in charge. I pulled sign down and walked away shaking my head in disgust as he was reciting zoning law. Whatever. I envy the freedoms my grandpap had.

olyman

toolman--somehow get that bozo removed from office-----or everyone along that road show up at the next county board meeting--and get the law changed back---since YOU are the residents--not the commissioner!!!!!!!!!!

Tom1

Toolman,

Your family has been sawing wood on the same parcel for 37 years and all of a sudden your supposed to stop  :-\ . I agree with olyman. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Tom
MS660, MS310, Frick 00

Don_Papenburg

Take one of them red flags with the hammer ang cickle to the next meeting . Ask them if they would prefer this to the star spangled banner? More than likly they will say stars and stripes . Then tell them to stop acting like they were operating under the red flag.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!