iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Isocyanate Foam?

Started by shinnlinger, July 28, 2008, 05:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

A truckload of yellow foam panels with a paper backing on one side just shoed up at my house.

Is this isocyanate?

Can it get wet? (it is)

Is 2" really an R-12?

It hasn't been paid for yet, so I figured I would ask first.

Thanks!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds like it. Usually has foil backing on it. It is good stuff for heat insulating qualities, for Solar Box heaters, and such.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

StorminN

Hey Dave,

I checked with Olson... he says the yellow insulation that usually has the foil backing is polyisocyanurate, the most common source is Dow Chemical. It's a form of polyurethane foam, usually about a 1.6lb density, which can get you R-7 to R-8 per inch. It doesn't absorb much water, but it is very fryable and is sensitive to UV, so don't leave it in the sun.

Here's a couple of links:
Polyisocyanurate
Wikipedia - Polyisocyanurate
Rigid Insulation

P.S. This is not the same stuff as polyicynene, who's common trade name is Icynene, and is about R-4 per inch.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

TexasTimbers

The R value of these type of various faom products also do not take into account the radiant effect of the embossed aluminum side. When used properly of course that adds even more efficiency to the system it's a part of.

I love the stuff. I am down to my last few sheets of 1/2" and 1" R-Max (it's a polyisocyanurate) with 6.4 per inch Rv. that I bought at an auction on the cheap in '03. You can't find it cheap like that anymore - I got 3 bundles for less than $1 a sheet. ;D

I bet you won't even find any of it at a building materials auction today. I'd say buy it if the price is even market value. It will pay for itself.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

shinnlinger

Thanks guys!

I will dig the big tarp out as much to keep the chickens and wind from getting them as the sun.

This stuff is fiberglass papered and not foiled, but I just bought 340 4x8 sheets of 2 inch (R 12 ish)  for about 12 bucks a pop.

It was such a windfall that i will now wrap my timberframe with these in a built up wall and toss the strawbale idea.

Oh well maybe some one else can save the earth! 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

TexasTimbers

hey as long as that foam doesn't ever end up in a landfill they won't cause a problem. They have already offgassed 90% of their VOCs! :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!