iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing long logs

Started by New Brunswick, July 28, 2008, 08:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Brunswick

Anybody sawing logs longer than there mill was desinged for? A farmer that lives nearby wants 26 foot beams (6x6 ) for a wagon that he is re-doing. My mill will handle a 20 foot log, but have been thinking about taking a pass as far as I can go, then raising mill, sliding log back 10 feet, cut off slab and continue cutting rest of the way? What do you guys think, has anybody done this? Is there a better way, or is this a job to pass on?

Dan_Shade

do you have rollers on your mill?

it's a pain in the neck to do it, but it's possible. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

red

it is in the Forum Extras Knowledge base

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

New Brunswick

Yes I do have rollers, I think I will give it a try on the weekend. To get the log back to plum after you slide it back will probaly be a pain. Would you flip 90 or 180 after the first pass? I looked in knowledge base and did not find the topic.

Dan_Shade

don't try to roll it unless you have a flat side.  make the band "run out" of the log somewhere down the log.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1061208316-32360.txt
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hunt_x

u can do that easy and you could just set the end up on a saw horse set at the right height just make sure you place some wedges in the cut on each side so the blade can get a good straight start back into the cut and not heat up the blade and wander ruining your piece.
Dave in Vic
Davez not here man

bandmiller2

NB,kinda depends on which mill you run,if its a woodmizer you'll have to move the log ,outher mills you can add homemade track even wood with a metal strip.Its usally a good deal to be able to cut long, word gets around you will have many jobs no one else can handle.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Fla._Deadheader

AND, you can bust yer Butt, trying to impress others.  ::) ::)  You NEED good support equipment.

LONG stuff is a bear to cut straight. The longer the log, the more it will move. GOOD clamping is necessary. I believe Bibbyman posted theit way of starting on the Butt end, and letting the blade saw out of the log.

Takes most of the work out of it, if using a WoodMizer.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!