iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Semi-Portable Kilns

Started by crtreedude, July 27, 2008, 07:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I am about to start cutting about 10,000 teak trees I just bought the rights to. (ours start thinning this winter, so it is a good start). While making the plans, I was wondering, which is always dangerous.

Is it possible to build kilns that can be moved fairly easily? I am looking at woodburning for heat (I will have a lot of waste of course, and if I can use it for heat, so much the better) , probably not going to bother using solar, during the rainy season it is too inconsistent.

My question primarily is about fans. Is there any way around using fans? Electricity might be a problem, though I could locate in one place if I had to where there is power.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jason_WI

I plan on building my solar kiln on a running gear frame used in the ag industry. This way I don't have to pay taxes on a permanent building.

http://www.hsmfgco.com/farmwagonmain.cfm

Look at the farm wagons near to bottom of the page. Not sure if anything like that is available in CR. These can be pulled with a farm tractor or dozer to remote locations. They will support a width of 10 feet in lengths to 20 or more feet long. With the floatation tires they are good for muddy roads and such. The structure can be u bolted to the frame or chained. Chains allow the frame to twist if the structure is rigid when traveling on uneven ground.

As far as fans for the kiln how about using solar attic fans.

A small generator set would run fans also depending on fuel supply.

How are prevailing winds in the area? A few small wind turbines on a hill could do the job too.

If you have so much trash available and a decent suply of water to burn how about a boiler and steam engine to power a line shaft for fans as they did in the old days.

Just tossing some ideas out there.
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

beenthere

Another idea I saw years ago, was a kiln on wheels that ran on tracks. The kiln would be moved over the stickered stack of lumber for drying, and off for loading/unloading either by hand or machine. A green load would be ready to be kiln dried as soon as the kiln could be moved over it.

If such wheels would also mean it wouldn't be classed as a permanent building, might add another plus to the idea.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I've debated a trailer mounted small dh kiln to take to jobsites for storing/finishing off trim and such.

A kiln is a piece of equipment not a building according to Dr Wengert. For us ag equipment is not taxed.

crtreedude

Nice, some ideas to get working with. We are going to start with just selling wood, then after that, drying, then after that, etc. As the money returns from the investment of equipment, we put more in.

Now a days, I just sit here making plans mainly.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!